Crap! Talk Me Out of It!

Beck

• Members

I keep getting these impulses to go out and buy a Harley. Don't know why. :eek: But they're not going away. Last week I was thinking of a Harley and the week before that even. I never wanted one or rode one before, so WTF? Can't seem to get it out of my head. Well, I did ride a minibike once when I was 9 or 10, but it wasn't much fun, so what's going on here?

What are the pros and cons of trading in my 4 wheels for 2?

I've got the leather, guns, knives, swords, boots, and that sort of thing, so I've got a lot of things, but no Harley.

Anybody here ride or have ever ridden?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate Harleys !!

They are rude and loud - most break normal sound level standards but for some reason they are allowed to get away with it.

They disturb every neighbourhood they exists in. They stand for the {censored} YOU! society and they cruise though my quiet country town every weekend with fat/obese 60+'s with their fat wives all dressed in black leather behind them!

I thought your were smarter than that Beck.

• CMS Author

Rent one for a couple of weeks. It's possible to do. See how it gets you around in the snow. Can you carry all the gear you need for a gig on it?

I think a bike can be a good way to have fun, but there's going to be a big adjustment from a lifetime of driving a car.

• Members

I believe (please check, this was presented in a training I recently went to) you are 35 times more likely to be injured or killed on a motorcycle than in a vehicle with 4 wheels (when going an equal number of miles.) Not to mention, the motorcycle riders sure look a) miserable and b) stupid, when riding in bad weather.

• Members

I hate Harleys !!

They are rude and loud - most break normal sound level standards but for some reason they are allowed to get away with it.

They disturb every neighbourhood they exists in. They stand for the {censored} YOU! society and they cruise though my quiet country town every weekend with fat/obese 60+'s with their fat wives all dressed in black leather behind them!

Wow, thats some "observation". :bor:

When I think of riding, I think of riding on a winding country road or in the middle of the desert. Hair in the wind, just you and nature. Piece of rubber between you and the earth. Try it, its a lot more romantic.

• Members

I've been a motorcyclist for 40 years. Not a Harley fan, but that's just my personal taste -- I've always ridden older Japanese bikes -- "standards", with an upright seating position, footpegs directly under the rider (not way out front like a Lay-Z-Boy Recliner), moderate steering geometry. Triumph Bonneville is a good example of the kind of bike I prefer. The reason I like these bikes is because they're much more nimble than a cruiser, yet more comfortable than a full-on sportbike.

Anyway, that's just background. What I'm seeing in your post is that you're a beginner who wants to get a bike based totally on image. I think a big, heavy bike like a Harley is a terrible bike to learn on -- I firmly believe in the "start small and work your way up" school of thought -- and I fully realize that's not what many (most) new riders want to hear. They want the bike of their dreams NOW, whether it's a big cruiser or a Ducati "GP bike with a headlight". Lots of crashes result. And yes, it is possible to use your head and learn on whatever bike you choose -- but the advice you'll get from most seasoned riders is to start with a midrange, maneuverable bike (something around 500cc is a great choice), ride it for a year or two, then get the bike you really want (which probably won't be the one you thought you wanted in the beginning, with no experience).

There are many threads at this forum which discuss this topic, especially in the "Beginner's Garage" section:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?action=forum

Good luck!

• Members

I hate Harleys !!

wow, someone needs a 'Time Out'

I never had a Harley, I had a cantankerous Triumph in 1969.

My wife's sister (who is tall, thin, and lovely) and her husband, who looks like a younger David Bowie, both have Harleys, They both look smashing in their leathers BTW.

They are in a Harley group that does a lot of Charity work, food banks, rides to raise money for kids with cancer etc.

I say go for it Beck, you seem to have all the Biker accoutrements, so wrap it up with a 'Steel Horse'.

You should also keep your car though if it's affordable and feasible to do so.

• Members

Me in 1972 (between beards) on the way from Minneapolis to Alexandria Virginia on my Honda CB-350. Bad timing. I got caught up in Hurricane Agnes and took 8 hours to do the last 120 miles. This is one of about 6 motorcycles that I owned over a few years. The "biggest" was a 550-4 Honda which I drove from Minneapolis to the Black Hills (a few years after doing the same trip on a 1968 Honda 125 twin). I say go for it and enjoy.

52007574.jpg

• Members

I've had my 72 Norton Commando for over 30 years and my 70 Triumph Tiger almost 25, these are keepers. All of my Harley and Jap bikes have come and gone. The only thing I think I'm missing is a BMW. If you're looking for an image, get the Harley. If you want to enjoy riding, get a nice Jap Harley or a BMW, Paul.

• Members

I've been a motorcyclist for 40 years. Not a Harley fan, but that's just my personal taste -- I've always ridden older Japanese bikes -- "standards", with an upright seating position, footpegs directly under the rider (not way out front like a Lay-Z-Boy Recliner), moderate steering geometry. Triumph Bonneville is a good example of the kind of bike I prefer. The reason I like these bikes is because they're much more nimble than a cruiser, yet more comfortable than a full-on sportbike.

Anyway, that's just background. What I'm seeing in your post is that you're a beginner who wants to get a bike based totally on image. I think a big, heavy bike like a Harley is a terrible bike to learn on -- I firmly believe in the "start small and work your way up" school of thought -- and I fully realize that's not what many (most) new riders want to hear. They want the bike of their dreams NOW, whether it's a big cruiser or a Ducati "GP bike with a headlight". Lots of crashes result. And yes, it is possible to use your head and learn on whatever bike you choose -- but the advice you'll get from most seasoned riders is to start with a midrange, maneuverable bike (something around 500cc is a great choice), ride it for a year or two, then get the bike you really want (which probably won't be the one you thought you wanted in the beginning, with no experience).

There are many threads at this forum which discuss this topic, especially in the "Beginner's Garage" section:

Good luck!

Smart post here Beck. You can think with your willie for music but on a motorcycle that kind of attitude will get you killed.

• Members

Me in 1972 (between beards) on the way from Minneapolis to Alexandria Virginia on my Honda CB-350.

Nostalgia! I learned on the "scrambler" version of that bike.

Re: "Zen and the Art..." I always though Pirsig and his son did that long trip on a fairly good-sized bike. Turns out it was a little Honda (I think it's either a 250 or a 305):

pirsig.jpg

• Members

Nostalgia! I learned on the "scrambler" version of that bike.

That would have been the CL-350. The 125 twin that I had was the CL version. I also had a CB-175 that I blew a hole in one of the pistons. I rebuilt the engine in the middle of the living room and it worked after the reassembly process. I could never do that with a car. I still think about buying another bike even though it's been over 30 years since I owned one.

• Members

The few friends of mine that were riders in college all now have some metal holding bones together. So, Ive avoided joining that club. Id re-consider under the right circumstances (low traffic environment, prevalence of good weather,..) T

he "green" and parking advantages can be a positive factor.

I'd never get on one without a helmut. No matter how good you are there are a alot if idiots out there that don't give bikers their necessary space on the road.

• Members

I bought my first-ever MC two years ago, at age 47 (an inexpensive Japanese bike, not a Harley). 22,000 miles later, I'm hooked bad (note: you will NOT save gas money).

Before going with Harley, however, check the company's financial health; they are NOT doing well right now...

• Members

I suspect we aren't helping much are we???
;)

Well, I certainly tried. The training I went to was about traumatic brain injury and a motorcycle rider is a lot more susceptible than most other forms of transportation. Of course some (not all) of the riders I see: weaving in and out of traffic with 3 feet to spare, riding between lanes, not signaling lane changes, speeding etc. may contribute to the problem....but that is an individual's choice and doesn't have to be a part of riding a motorcycle.

• Members

I have an 82 Suzuki GS1100; faster than stink. I did NOT learn to ride on it, I learned to ride on dirtbikes; while you'll fall down a lot and may do minor damage to yourself, trees don't move while cars and trucks do. And a 200lb bike, with quick steering, is a lot easier to handle than a big, cruiser style bike with gobs of torque just waiting for a throttle mistake.

I hate loud bikes with a passion, Harley or otherwise. The problem with Harleys is a lot of people seem to think it's OK to remove the factory, legal exhaust systems and put on illegal, loud aftermarket systems. And what pisses me off is this; when I had to replace my rusted pipes, I paid 3 times what I could get a cheap, loud system for. When I tried to get through inspection, the Harley in front of me, with straight thru pipes, no mufflers, got passed. I failed as the inspector had never seen the type of system on my bike..!!!!! WTF..!!!:mad:

I'm 57 and still ride and race dirtbikes (enduros in the woods). I ride in the street a lot less these days; was always dangerous, but now you have idiots not only talking on cell phones but friggin' texting while they drive. My advise, learn on a smaller bike, then move up. And never, never, ever not once have even one beer and ride. I did, rode home like a friggin maniac, realized I'd die if I ever did it again, and haven't done so since; and that was in '78.

• Members

I believe (please check, this was presented in a training I recently went to) you are 35 times more likely to be injured or killed on a motorcycle than in a vehicle with 4 wheels (when going an equal number of miles.) Not to mention, the motorcycle riders sure look a) miserable and b) stupid, when riding in bad weather.

This first reason is the reason I don't ride. I was really interested in riding, particularly since I was doing some dirtbike riding. But I quickly realized that every single person - yes, every single person, without exception - who was riding streetbikes had been in accidents. This includes someone who had catlike reflexes and was training to be in the Olympics at the time. I think it's extremely dangerous if you are in the suburbs or cities. I realize that this is a total "wet blanket" sort of post, but hey, if you want opinions! :D

Archived