X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current bike, a 1981 Honda CB900F:

Comment

Nostalgia! I learned on the "scrambler" version of that bike.

That would have been the CL-350. The 125 twin that I had was the CL version. I also had a CB-175 that I blew a hole in one of the pistons. I rebuilt the engine in the middle of the living room and it worked after the reassembly process. I could never do that with a car. I still think about buying another bike even though it's been over 30 years since I owned one.
      My new webpage: http://www.richardkingmedia.com/ Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

The few friends of mine that were riders in college all now have some metal holding bones together. So, Ive avoided joining that club. Id re-consider under the right circumstances (low traffic environment, prevalence of good weather,..) T

he "green" and parking advantages can be a positive factor.

I'd never get on one without a helmut. No matter how good you are there are a alot if idiots out there that don't give bikers their necessary space on the road.
        Psst... Wanna check out some free tunes?
        http://www.broadjam.com/artists/home.php?artistID=3448

Comment

Crap! Talk Me Out of It!

I suspect we aren't helping much are we???
          My new webpage: http://www.richardkingmedia.com/ Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

I bought my first-ever MC two years ago, at age 47 (an inexpensive Japanese bike, not a Harley). 22,000 miles later, I'm hooked bad (note: you will NOT save gas money).

Before going with Harley, however, check the company's financial health; they are NOT doing well right now...
            Botch
            Start by admitting, From cradle to tomb,
            Isn't that long a stay.
            Life is a cabaret, old chum, and I love a cabaret...

Comment

I suspect we aren't helping much are we???

Well, I certainly tried. The training I went to was about traumatic brain injury and a motorcycle rider is a lot more susceptible than most other forms of transportation. Of course some (not all) of the riders I see: weaving in and out of traffic with 3 feet to spare, riding between lanes, not signaling lane changes, speeding etc. may contribute to the problem....but that is an individual's choice and doesn't have to be a part of riding a motorcycle.

Comment

I've got the leather, guns, knives, swords, boots, and that sort of thing, so I've got a lot of things, but no Harley.

Oh, and you don't need guns, knives or swords to ride; stick with the leather, boots, and get yerself a helmet...
                Botch
                Start by admitting, From cradle to tomb,
                Isn't that long a stay.
                Life is a cabaret, old chum, and I love a cabaret...

Comment

I have an 82 Suzuki GS1100; faster than stink. I did NOT learn to ride on it, I learned to ride on dirtbikes; while you'll fall down a lot and may do minor damage to yourself, trees don't move while cars and trucks do. And a 200lb bike, with quick steering, is a lot easier to handle than a big, cruiser style bike with gobs of torque just waiting for a throttle mistake.

I hate loud bikes with a passion, Harley or otherwise. The problem with Harleys is a lot of people seem to think it's OK to remove the factory, legal exhaust systems and put on illegal, loud aftermarket systems. And what pisses me off is this; when I had to replace my rusted pipes, I paid 3 times what I could get a cheap, loud system for. When I tried to get through inspection, the Harley in front of me, with straight thru pipes, no mufflers, got passed. I failed as the inspector had never seen the type of system on my bike..!!!!! WTF..!!!

I'm 57 and still ride and race dirtbikes (enduros in the woods). I ride in the street a lot less these days; was always dangerous, but now you have idiots not only talking on cell phones but friggin' texting while they drive. My advise, learn on a smaller bike, then move up. And never, never, ever not once have even one beer and ride. I did, rode home like a friggin maniac, realized I'd die if I ever did it again, and haven't done so since; and that was in '78.
                  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=742896
                  http://www.volunteersband.com

Comment

I have an 82 Suzuki GS1100; faster than stink. ....

+1000 to everything you said.

Comment

I believe (please check, this was presented in a training I recently went to) you are 35 times more likely to be injured or killed on a motorcycle than in a vehicle with 4 wheels (when going an equal number of miles.) Not to mention, the motorcycle riders sure look a) miserable and b) stupid, when riding in bad weather.

This first reason is the reason I don't ride. I was really interested in riding, particularly since I was doing some dirtbike riding. But I quickly realized that every single person - yes, every single person, without exception - who was riding streetbikes had been in accidents. This includes someone who had catlike reflexes and was training to be in the Olympics at the time. I think it's extremely dangerous if you are in the suburbs or cities. I realize that this is a total "wet blanket" sort of post, but hey, if you want opinions!
                      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I didn't get a Harley until I was 21, before that I rode ricers back as far as jr. high.
                        I owned a Sportster for like 8 years, sold it while in electronics school and then got an FLT after getting back to work. Around a decade ago during some of my heavier gigging years I was friendly with some members of the local Chosen Few chapter and they invited me to be a prospect but I decided that was a step I didn't want to take.

The photo is me on my FLT (that I still have) from 91-92 when I was 30-31 shortly after I moved to this area for my job and was living in a trailer park. The pinnacle of my riding "career" was a trip I took to NYC back in '96 or '97. When I crossed into Pennsylvania it was the first time I'd ever wore a helmet which I'd bought just before the trip. Had a real blast but got rained on most of the way home. The worst experience was once on the way to Chicago, busy I-80 rush hour traffic in Joliet I was unable to avoid a huge piece of semi-trailer tread. My life flashed before my eyes and my bike still bears the scars.

I hate to be a wet blanket but it seems to me, and the stories appear every spring, about baby-boomers that suddenly decide to become Harley riders and soon become a hood ornament or end up dead in the ditch.

Let me finish by saying.....if you own an old Harley, it's also a good idea to own a 3/4 ton pickup truck.
                        http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

I was in a Bud's car yesterday and noticed on the NJ Inspection Sticker facing the inside of the car it reads; 'Be Alert, watch for Motorcycles'.
                          In Sept, I was coming down I-295 after having my BMW serviced...they were grading the road and their was a dropoff of about 4 inches then about a hundred feet later a rise of the same heigth,, Speed limit is 65mph...I hit the rise and I thought my bottom jaw would snap off, other cars were hitting it too...
                          Absolutely NO signs of warning posted by the NJ Dept of Transportation...lots of people had their front ends knocked of of alignment,,,
                          Saddest part was two guys,both on Harleys, were killed within 3 minutes of each other at that spot that day.
                          Their families filed suit against the State of New Jersey.
                          In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One-eyed Man is King.

Comment

Eh, I think yer talkin' me out of it. I'm hearing my late father's voice, "Those things will get you killed!" Now that he's not around I don't have him to say it a couple times a year... and tell the story about his best friend that made it through the war in some of the worst battles unscathed, only to get back stateside and break about every bone in his body by missing a turn on a country road. He told that story about 222 times a year when I was kid through teen years until I got my first car... then he stopped worrying so much about it.

What do I need then? I've got this constant craving (as the song goes)

Feels like I'm holding my breath... waiting to exhale (as th movie goes). It is January... maybe that's part of it.

Thanks
                            "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
                            ~John Lennon

Comment

Eh, I think yer talkin' me out of it.

not at all,

we only give you advice for the right model

Comment

What do I need then? I've got this constant craving (as the song goes)

Go ahead.....get your Harley, a trailer and a truck to tow it and be a RUB!

http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X