Excited about iPad?

amplayer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't even have a cellphone. Last thing I need is one that is the size of a computer monitor but does not multitask.

It's actually cool from a tech standpoint, and I can see where it could be enormously helpful to musicians with the right software. But c'mon, $800 for something that does not multitask???

• Members

No USB and no multitask sucks.

No Pen input/handwriting recognition sucks.

I was hoping to replace my tablet laptop with it, I use one for my business and Microsoft Onenote is my go to app for keeping track of everything I do I don't think the iPad is going to replace that....I'll look hard at the apps available for it, maybe the calendar app would do it but pen input would be better for me than typing, I need to be able to jot down notes with the phone in one hand while sitting in my truck.

I wanted to be able to use it as a multitouch control surface for my DAW, not sure if that is possible without USB....

I also hoped it would be able to run stuff like Reaper and Guitar Rig4 like my laptop does since I use it as a portable songwritng station, I also had envisioned a virtual piano keyboard on the touch screen capable of playing softsynths running on the iPad etc., etc.

For me the iPad is incomplete.

Someone needs to make a multitouch tablet with some balls, maybe Motion Computing will come through for me.

• Members

Obviously, I'm an Apple fan and I still don't understand what they were thinking with this thing. I need a fast i5 or i7 based MacBook Pro with a BluRay burner and not some toy for an undefined market segment. From what I've read, the iPad is not good for video or music production, gaming, graphics or business apps. Then why would anyone even consider buying one especially if they already have an iPhone/iPod touch and a MacBook/MacBook Pro?

• Members

Mark, I think the iPad has potential as a wireless multitouch remote controller for Logic, Ableton Live, etc. It may also have potential as a performance instrument in its own right, judging by the innovation (to me and a few others) that I've seen in iPhone apps such as Jasuto, Bebot, Intua Beatmaker, Gliss, RjDj, DopplerPad, etc.

I am unlikely to buy this first-generation iPad, but a subsequent version may be in my future.

• Members

I wanted to be able to use it as a multitouch control surface for my DAW, not sure if that is possible without USB....

I also hoped it would be able to run stuff like Reaper and Guitar Rig4 like my laptop does since I use it as a portable songwritng station, I also had envisioned a virtual piano keyboard on the touch screen capable of playing softsynths running on the iPad etc., etc.

A remote control surface for Logic is the killer app for me. I wouldn't think of producing music directly on it though.

Incidentally, I would imagine a control surface app would work wirelessly rather than use the USB.

• Members

Incidentally, I would imagine a control surface app would work wirelessly rather than use the USB.

Yea, I wasn't thinking when I wrote that, wireless definitely for that and they can do it, I'm using my iPod Touch to wirelessly control GR4 via midi sometimes just because I can so the control surface software surely must be coming.

I wanted USB and a powerful OS so it could run Reaper, GR4 and soft synths etc. for my mobile songwriting/jam sessions (at work I'll pull over for a long lunch and jam in my truck for a while using my laptop) I don't want to have to have a laptop AND the iPad so for now the laptop is still king. Aggravating because the iPad is so close to being able to eliminate my laptop based on the things I need to do with it. I guess with an adapter the USB is within reach but is there a decent DAW type software that will run on it? I don't need Protools or Reaper but something multi track that can host VST's and has a simple interface and the tracks could be imported into a more sophisticated software in the odd event that I actually compose something worthy of further attention.

• Members

Mark, I think the iPad has potential as a wireless multitouch remote controller for Logic, Ableton Live, etc. It may also have potential as a performance instrument in its own right, judging by the innovation (to me and a few others) that I've seen in iPhone apps such as Jasuto, Bebot, Intua Beatmaker, Gliss, RjDj, DopplerPad, etc.

I am unlikely to buy this first-generation iPad, but a subsequent version may be in my future.

+1

It also might be nice to have a computer I could roam around the house with -- watch YouTube videos while I do dishes, have a list in front of me of what's on while I surf the TV, read web articles while I wind down at night, etc. -- for considerably less than the cost of a laptop.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I wanted USB and a powerful OS so it could run Reaper, GR4 and soft synths etc. for my mobile songwriting/jam sessions (at work I'll pull over for a long lunch and jam in my truck for a while using my laptop)

I've been meaning to get Sonoma Four Track and Intua Beatmaker for my iPhone... for pretty much the above purpose.

• Members

I'm not too enthused.

the tablet/pad is a challenging form factor (I've had em over the years) and I think the trade-offs of making a "compy light" info appliance just wind up leaving too much to be desired...every time I've gone down that road, I just find myself wishing for a fuller system - as the years have rolled by,it even gotten more that way as the laptop has really come into its own in terms of power, battery, display, etc and I've kind of come to expect "full general purpose" computing on my lap

Personally, i already run around the house with the laptop (as does the wife and many friends)for media - which actually works out nicely b/c, as mundane as it sounds, it's got it's own "monitor stand" (the bottom part of the clamshell) and is one less device

• Members

I can't wait to see some people carrying these things around.
:D:badump:

Someone is already complaining about the lack of GPS.

I'd like to see someone driving around with an iPad in the car, trying to use it like a Garmin Nuvi or similar.

• Members

Someone is already complaining about the lack of GPS.

I'd like to see someone driving around with an iPad in the car, trying to use it like a Garmin Nuvi or similar.

The 3G capable version has GPS.

My main complaints would be lack of Flash (maybe Apple is hoping/planning for HTML 5 dominance?) and lack of multi-tasking.

No USB might be a problem. I know there's a USB add-on, but isn't that just to get pictures directly from a camera? That's how it's marketed anyway -- the dongle even has a camera icon instead of the usual USB icon. SD is a similar issue; there's a dongle for loading pictures/video from an SD card, but I don't know if it's usable for anything but that. They even call it a Camera Connection Kit.

It seems that it can only be docked in portrait mode as well, but that could potentially be changed with a cable and a different dock.

I would say it seems expensive for what it does (but that's typical Apple, I suppose), but I like it. I'd find it easier to lug around the house than even a netbook and I really like what Apple has done with touch interfaces so far. I would like it to have a USB port, SD card slot, and camera.

Here's hoping for a quick update and nerd-enraging price drop, much like the iPhone.

• Members

My main complaints would be lack of Flash (maybe Apple is hoping/planning for HTML 5 dominance?) and lack of multi-tasking.

Yeah, lack of Flash really sucks. I don't know what Jobs' issue with Flash is. Maybe it's because the AT&T network is already bogged down and he doesn't want to compound the problem with Flash movies? In any case, lack of Flash is one of the biggest reasons I still don't have an iPhone. Also, lack of Flash means iPad is actually worse than a netbook for around the house.

That said, I'm sure I'll get an iPhone after their next update, and I wouldn't mind having an iPad either. Considering it is an IPS display, it doesn't seem overpriced.

• Members

This device is not for me.

Seems to me it is:

The only thing about this device which is of interest to me is the eBook thing - the iPad is more portable than any of my bookshelves... but then I'd be heading down the "re-buy everything in the new format" road. I hate that road.

Archived