Anyone want to hear my daughter's new song?

Phil O'Keefe

Here's the story:

My oldest step-daughter, Samantha Latino, is a musician / songwriter and does a ton of "hook singing" on Latin Rap and Hip Hop records - many of which have charted / done very well. Her personal musical tastes range all over the map, and she's got me recording her solo album - a lot of which will be R&B / Rap; which I don't do a lot of. This song isn't rap or R&B though... I'm not quite sure how I'd categorize it.

Anyway, she's a huge "Twilight" fan, and has read all the books, and seen all the movies, and she wrote this song based on what happens to Bella in the last book. I know I know... :facepalm:;) I've managed to only have to sit through the first one... it actually wasn't all that bad... for a vampire chick flick. :lol:

Anyway, this is the song. Probably close to the "final mix", but only a "quickie" mastering job....

http://frothymusic.com/bellasplea.html

I used a ton of effects on this. It's pushing 100 tracks / voices in Pro Tools. All the vocals (except for two or three tracks I did) are Sam, all the instruments / arrangement / recording / production are me. Hope you don't think it royally sucks... :o:lol:

PS Thanks to Jeff for putting it up online for me. :cool:

• Members

I like it a lot. It's got a lot of cool ideas kicking around in it and overall sounds really impressive. I like her singing quite a bit... she seems to be working in multiple genres simultaneously... bringing a smoky soulfulness to a kind of big, adventurous pop sound.

I like it...

Actually has a Cocteau Twins + Evanescence vibe to it for some reason...(IMHO)

Shoot a vampire video and get this thing out virally...! Twilights kids will eat it up..!

That's her plan... she's already pretty decent at doing DIY "videos" for stuff, and she's got some model friends who will help her out with appearances in it, etc. Plus, she bears a slight resemblance to the girl who plays the lead character in Twilight, which probably won't hurt. :idk: We'll see...

Thanks for listening folks. :o

Share with us some songs where she has participated, too.

http://www.myspace.com/hooksinger

She does a lot of "hook singing" on "Latino Rap" records. I'm not big into Rap, so I don't know who most of the folks she mentions on her page are, but I do know she's been on a lot of tracks that have apparently done pretty well. She gets played on KISS FM quite a bit.

• Members

Phil.

If your daughter has interest in a release in China and Taiwan, let me know and I connect you with the international manager of my record company in Shanghai. Here a prospect of the company in English: Shanghai Synergy_english.pdf

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cy2m8a

Is the other mv you linked several months ago available for viewing?

Phil.

If your daughter has interest in a release in China and Taiwan, let me know and I connect you with the international manager of my record company in Shanghai. Here a prospect of the company in English: Shanghai Synergy_english.pdf

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cy2m8a

Thanks! :cool:

Is the other mv you linked several months ago available for viewing?

You mean her Lady Gaga parody? :lol: If so, then yes, it's still up. But since I caught some flak for it last time:

WARNING: Contains graphic displays of nasal discharge, including just about everything you could imagine toddlers - or grown adults - doing with said substance. Not for the squeamish...

She did that all on her Core 2 Duo MacBook. Song production (in Garageband), video production (with the built in camera and iMovie) - the works. The two girls in the video are my kids - the baby is Anastasia (Stasi) and the singer is Samantha.

Here's a non-weirded out pic of Sam:

s_278a83c826ad4623b9b8e7553cd34374.png

Her day job is as a teacher for preschool for Chino Unified, so she deals with snotty noses on a regular basis... which is probably what gave her the idea for the parody. :) And yes, she got permission / releases from all the parents of the kids who appear in the video.

• Members

She does a lot of "hook singing" on "Latino Rap" records. I'm not big into Rap, so I don't know who most of the folks she mentions on her page are, but I do know she's been on a lot of tracks that have apparently done pretty well. She gets played on KISS FM quite a bit.

Some of this stuff is bumpin', like the "Nike Cortez" track. Nice sense of rhythm, got some hooks, and she sounds good. I just listened to a couple, but there's some good stuff there.

• Members

I have never replied to anyone before, but I felt obligated to tell Phil the truth. Your daughter sings ok, but the song is god awful and you all know it. No offense truly not trying to be a dick, but how can you ask your friends to critique your daughter's work and expect the truth.

Have a nice day.

Archived