Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Anyone want to hear my daughter's new song?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to hear my daughter's new song?

Here's the story:

My oldest step-daughter, Samantha Latino, is a musician / songwriter and does a ton of "hook singing" on Latin Rap and Hip Hop records - many of which have charted / done very well. Her personal musical tastes range all over the map, and she's got me recording her solo album - a lot of which will be R&B / Rap; which I don't do a lot of. This song isn't rap or R&B though... I'm not quite sure how I'd categorize it.

Anyway, she's a huge "Twilight" fan, and has read all the books, and seen all the movies, and she wrote this song based on what happens to Bella in the last book. I know I know... I've managed to only have to sit through the first one... it actually wasn't all that bad... for a vampire chick flick.

Anyway, this is the song. Probably close to the "final mix", but only a "quickie" mastering job....

http://frothymusic.com/bellasplea.html

I used a ton of effects on this. It's pushing 100 tracks / voices in Pro Tools. All the vocals (except for two or three tracks I did) are Sam, all the instruments / arrangement / recording / production are me. Hope you don't think it royally sucks...

PS Thanks to Jeff for putting it up online for me.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

This song isn't rap or R&B though... I'm not quite sure how I'd categorize it.

Pop.

PS Thanks to Jeff for putting it up online for me.

That Jeff sure is a nice guy!!!!
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Wow

Loved the work you did on the vocals. The song is really good and the music is great, Phil!

Very ad-hoc as a movie soundtrack.

(yes, I'd say "pop" is appropriate too)

Share with us some songs where she has participated, too.

Congratulations!
      www.guslozada.com

Comment

I like.

Comment

sounds very good 1800 meters above sea level

Comment

I like it a lot. It's got a lot of cool ideas kicking around in it and overall sounds really impressive. I like her singing quite a bit... she seems to be working in multiple genres simultaneously... bringing a smoky soulfulness to a kind of big, adventurous pop sound.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

sounds very good 1800 meters above sea level

Dude. You're high.

That's 5905.5 feet. Are you flag-pole sitting?

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

I like it...

Actually has a Cocteau Twins + Evanescence vibe to it for some reason...(IMHO)

Shoot a vampire video and get this thing out virally...! Twilights kids will eat it up..!
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn<br />
                <br />
                Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.</div>

Comment

I like it...

Actually has a Cocteau Twins + Evanescence vibe to it for some reason...(IMHO)

Shoot a vampire video and get this thing out virally...! Twilights kids will eat it up..!

That's her plan... she's already pretty decent at doing DIY "videos" for stuff, and she's got some model friends who will help her out with appearances in it, etc. Plus, she bears a slight resemblance to the girl who plays the lead character in Twilight, which probably won't hurt. We'll see...

Thanks for listening folks.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Interesting, dense mix with lots going on.... I think the distorted guitar and vocal placements are just ideally mixed.

Nice unusual chord changes.

Is she singing her own harmony vox as well?

Thanks for this, Phil!
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"> <br />
                    <font color="blue"><b><font color="olive"><font color="sienna"><font color="purple">Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. </font> </font></font><font color="olive">Wayne Thiebaud</font></b></font><br />
                    <br />
                    <br />
                    <b><font color="#808000"><font color="blue"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/#!/rasputin1963/info" target="_blank">Friend me on FACEBOOK!</a> </font></font></b><br />
                    <font color="#808000"> <br />
                    <br />
                    </font></div>

Comment

Share with us some songs where she has participated, too.

http://www.myspace.com/hooksinger

She does a lot of "hook singing" on "Latino Rap" records. I'm not big into Rap, so I don't know who most of the folks she mentions on her page are, but I do know she's been on a lot of tracks that have apparently done pretty well. She gets played on KISS FM quite a bit.

- George Carlin

Comment

Phil.

If your daughter has interest in a release in China and Taiwan, let me know and I connect you with the international manager of my record company in Shanghai. Here a prospect of the company in English: Shanghai Synergy_english.pdf

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cy2m8a

Is the other mv you linked several months ago available for viewing?

Comment

Dude. You're high.

That's 5905.5 feet. Are you flag-pole sitting?

I am not high, only skiing the next ten days, the Alp hut is on 6561 feet.

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/ad98/Angelo-Clematide/alp%20hut/?albumview=slideshow

Comment

Is she singing her own harmony vox as well?

Except for a couple / few tracks where I join her (lowest part on the "haah" chants on the coda), all of the vocals are Samantha. There's probably somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty tracks of vocals on this.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                            X