The WHO Superbowl halftime show: Overcompressed?

amplayer

• Members

Not sure if it was the sound of the crummy speakers on my TV, but The Who sounded extremely overcomressed to me. Anyone else with better speakers see/hear this?

Honestly, I didn`t care for it at all and that was not The Who. Yeah, it was half of the group but still... also, I`m tired of the Super Bowl turning to these "classics" for their half time shows. Seriously, The Who?

Why not use that forum to promote some more up and coming artists or at least bands who have some sort of following: The Killers, Daughtry, Ashanti. etc...

• Members

Blech....Thought it sounded terrible, and the performance was terrible. Even at the top of their game, I don't think the Who sounded all that good, but, not a big fan..I like Petes' solo stuff much better.

I have always wondered why KISS have never been on at half time...that is right up their alley....big explosions, hoopla, etc.

• Members

I thought it was cool but my pizza was coming out of the oven so I had to keep coming in and out of the living room. I listened on hi fi speakers and can't really say it sounded over compressed, certainly nothing like my radio. I just thought Townsend's vocals sounded like his voice was shot. He used to sing high harmony to Daltry all the time and was taking the low note route a lot. Guitaring was good from what I heard.

And hey; 'Go Saints!' :)

• Members

Why do they tend to book those very....ahem....."august" groups?

most classic associated to the fan base of the iconic game.The Super Bowl is a classic Institution now, almost a holiday. Should they put Taylor Swift on next year? Maybe middle aged are the watchers? I don't know...

• Members

Well ever since Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" the NFL has been very leery of using the younger acts (not that she was really that young). Since that incident they have definitely moved towards safer "grown up" kinds of bands whose boobs are not likely to pop out of their costumes.

• Members

You would think that Pete could afford to buy a shirt with all its buttons though.

I can't judge the sound since I had to listen through TV speakers and I forgot to set my PVR to record it before I left for the party. :( It would have been interesting to listen though my JBL 4430's. As for the "show" I thought they did good. Good lights. Good stage. Not bad performance. I still think that the Prince half time show would be hard to beat and he played in the rain (not saying that because he's a former customer). In his case, it could be that the rain was something that actually enhanced the performance though.

• Members

Marilyn Manson would fit the bill.

What is Superbowl? Some oversized porcelain tupperware party?

Actually, you know what would be refreshing?... how about a Super Bowl without all the hoppla? You know? No big name acts, just a regular game!

btw- most of the commercials were really awful, bordering on stupidity. Those Go Daddy commercials were trying to get all hot and heavy but just couldn`t do it. I thought the best ones were the Doritos and the Megan Fox commercial and the Bud Light. Aside from that, argh...

• Members

Because of Janet Jackson's nipple. Of course at the rate we're going, they're going to have some geriatric rock star up there have his cath bag spring a leak and electrocute somebody on the wetted stage. :o

• Moderators

I was pretty surprised The Who were chosen. It could've been a lot more interesting. Having said that... it was a lot of fun to see Pete be Pete as his age. At first it seemed a little awkward, but he started getting his stage legs, GO PETE.

What the hell. It was fun seeing a back to back stack of Fenders.

• Members

I just find it very ironic, that those classic rock groups, once considered the epitome of rebellion and revolution, are now the only ones considered "safe" enough to play the superbowl halftime show. Rock 'n Roll has come a long way. Perhaps not the way it originally intended on going.

• Members

I just find it very ironic, that those classic rock groups, once considered the epitome of rebellion and revolution, are now the only ones considered "safe" enough to play the superbowl halftime show. Rock 'n Roll has come a long way. Perhaps not the way it originally intended on going.

I had a similar thought about The Who, who were definitely not "safe" back in the day. I saw the whole game at the Santa Barbara Brewing Company bar, so cannot really comment on the sound or anything. But yes, CBS has been choosing "safer" choices ever since the FCC fined everyone for the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake "wardrobe malfunction" incident .

• Moderators

not the best Who performance.

Daltry,once his voice warmed up, had the best rock scream for teenage Wasteland.

Daltry has the best rock scream in rock. IMO.

I beleive... the only thing canned about Daltrey's performance was that scream. I'm pretty sure that was a triggered sample.

Archived