Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The WHO Superbowl halftime show: Overcompressed?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression was the least of the problems I heard...Pete in particular sucked a BIG one last night, and the whole thing came off as "much ado about nothing"... Oh and what was up with Winwood's mix? Sounded like crap on a plate.

Comment

Why do they tend to book those very....ahem....."august" groups?

Because of Janet Jackson's nipple. Of course at the rate we're going, they're going to have some geriatric rock star up there have his cath bag spring a leak and electrocute somebody on the wetted stage.
      Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

I was pretty surprised The Who were chosen. It could've been a lot more interesting. Having said that... it was a lot of fun to see Pete be Pete as his age. At first it seemed a little awkward, but he started getting his stage legs, GO PETE.

What the hell. It was fun seeing a back to back stack of Fenders.

Comment

I just find it very ironic, that those classic rock groups, once considered the epitome of rebellion and revolution, are now the only ones considered "safe" enough to play the superbowl halftime show. Rock 'n Roll has come a long way. Perhaps not the way it originally intended on going.

Comment

not the best Who performance.
            Daltry,once his voice warmed up, had the best rock scream for teenage Wasteland.
            Daltry has the best rock scream in rock. IMO.

Comment

I just find it very ironic, that those classic rock groups, once considered the epitome of rebellion and revolution, are now the only ones considered "safe" enough to play the superbowl halftime show. Rock 'n Roll has come a long way. Perhaps not the way it originally intended on going.

I had a similar thought about The Who, who were definitely not "safe" back in the day. I saw the whole game at the Santa Barbara Brewing Company bar, so cannot really comment on the sound or anything. But yes, CBS has been choosing "safer" choices ever since the FCC fined everyone for the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake "wardrobe malfunction" incident .
              Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

not the best Who performance.
                Daltry,once his voice warmed up, had the best rock scream for teenage Wasteland.
                Daltry has the best rock scream in rock. IMO.

I beleive... the only thing canned about Daltrey's performance was that scream. I'm pretty sure that was a triggered sample.

Comment

Here's the answer from IK Multimedia's Tweet:

T-RackS 3 used in The Who performance at Super Bowl. M. Hayes remastered w/ T-RackS 3 incl. CSI opening song.

http://twitter.com/ikmultimedia/status/8817749597
                  Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

I beleive... the only thing canned about Daltrey's performance was that scream. I'm pretty sure that was a triggered sample.

still, a great rock scream.

Comment

still, a great rock scream.

The best. For sure...

Comment

I haven't seen or heard it, but Lefsetz posted a scathing criticism.

He then posted all the comments he got from people reacting to his criticism.
                        It's fascinating reading, with just about every other commenter saying they
                        either loved it or hated it.
                        And loved or hated old Bob's critique.
                        Quite few who liked the show were brutal towards Lefsetz in their comments.
                        Many saying they're unsubscribing and will never read him again! (Insert Crash Cymbal)

Seems like the TV audience, at least, was totally polarised.

Evidently the actual audience at the game was singing along and it went over
                        pretty well.

What happened to "I hope I die before I get old?"

It was great to see The Saints win.
                        Even if I am from another country on the other side of the planet
                        where the game isn't played and I don't understand the rules at all.
                        The Mrs and I like watching "GridIron" because it's so weird from
                        our perspective.

As an example of our total 100% ignorance, I haven't the faintest
                        foggy idea what a 1st down is!

Comment

I was pretty surprised The Who were chosen. It could've been a lot more interesting. Having said that... it was a lot of fun to see Pete be Pete as his age. At first it seemed a little awkward, but he started getting his stage legs, GO PETE.

What the hell. It was fun seeing a back to back stack of Fenders.

Could you tell what model Fenders they were? They sounded quite nice.

Comment

It was great to see The Saints win.
                            Even if I am from another country on the other side of the planet
                            where the game isn't played and I don't understand the rules at all.
                            The Mrs and I like watching "GridIron" because it's so weird from
                            our perspective.

It's kinduva weird sport. But a really fun one...at least, I think so.

I'm so glad the Saints won, if for no other reason than it's something so great for New Orleans. I'm so happy for everyone there. Talk about a city that needs to feel good about something. There it is. Super great. They were definitely underdogs, but through grit and determination and intelligence and smarts and heads up plays and a lot of preparation, managed to get one over on the Colts and Manning, who is one incredible quarterback.
                            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Seemed a bit constrained, but more like Daltrey was singing at the edge of his range. I
                              "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
                              ~John Lennon

Comment

Its just life. Have you ever met a murderer on death row who is 66? Not the same hell raiser he was in his 20's. Doesn't change who he was. Rock is old, and it has matured. Woodstock was over 40 years ago. It is just the natural course of things.
                                "It's all good; except when it's Great."

www.jotown.com

Comment

Working...
                                X