Which is you favourite VST chorus?

Mats Nermark

• Members

I can't seem to find a really good stereo chorus plug-in to use with my guitar tracks. My favourite sounds today comes from tc electronics 1210, Dynomypiano TriStereo Chorus and my old tc electronics SCF pedal.

Do you actually have a TriStereo Chorus? Or are you saying, that's the sound you like? Because, man, if I had one of those, I'd forget about plugins; I'd run my tracks out to the hardware and back! :)

• Members

Blue Cat Chorus...I dunno if it's the best, but it's purty good and it's free.

Wow -- it's more than purty good (and so are the flanger and phaser in the free pack). When they first ported their stuff over to the Mac, they were Leopard-only, and I was still on Tiger, so I couldn't try them. Thanks for the tip -- these are keepers!

• Members

Anyone use the CE-1 stompbox VST from Universal Audio that runs on the UAD-1 or UAD-2 cards? I'd like an opinion before spending the $99.

If you have a UAD card, you should be able to activate the CE-1 demo, unless you activated it in the past and it timed out. I tried it a long time ago, and it sounded, well, just like I remember a CE-1 sounding, but I opted for the Dimension D instead (not that the D is a real chorus; I just found it more useful to me). The UAD Space Echo, btw, is amazing. Put it on a Rhodes with the tape wobble on and it sounds exactly like Chick Corea on the first RTF album...

• Members

Wow -- it's more than purty good (and so are the flanger and phaser in the free pack). When they first ported their stuff over to the Mac, they were Leopard-only, and I was still on Tiger, so I couldn't try them. Thanks for the tip -- these are keepers!

Oh, cool. I didn't know what to compare it to since I don't know other VST plugins. The Blue Cat stuff always sounded good to me, though. Glad you like 'em!!!!! And yeah, the flanger and phaser are good too. And they seem to be nice people, having written to 'em a couple of times.

• Members

Do you actually
have
a TriStereo Chorus? Or are you saying, that's the sound you like? Because, man, if I had one of those, I'd forget about plugins; I'd run my tracks out to the hardware and back!
:)

No I don't actually own a TriStereo. I have a friend who owns one and it sounds wonderful. I used to have a 1210 but had to sell it at one time but I still do own the tc SCF I bought back in 1984.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Anyone use the CE-1 stompbox VST from Universal Audio that runs on the UAD-1 or UAD-2 cards? I'd like an opinion before spending the $99.

It's pretty damn close to the real thing with some extras tossed in. The Dimension D is great as well. The Roland bundle is nice, that way you get the Space Echo as well.

• Members

Just to
:thu:
:thu: on that Blue Cat freeware. On my Scarbee Rhodes, it's just right - makes the sound float and drift just enough, no obvious repeating pulses, just a sweet amorphous ambience.....yow!

nat whilk ii

Thanks!!!! So glad you like it. It's free...and it sounds really great and they seem like a friendly company!!!

I was listening to one of my rough mixes in the car earlier today, thinking, "Hey, I wonder what I did with that acoustic guitar? It sure sounds big and full and beautiful!!!!" And I ended up opening it up this evening to find that I had a Blue Cat Chorus on it. Wow. I did it a few months ago and didn't remember what I did to it, but the client wanted me to work on that a little bit, and so when I saw that Blue Cat Chorus on the acoustic guitar track, I just smiled and thought, "So *that's* what's doing it!"

• Members

Get two, three, four, whatever vibrato plug-ins. Run them in parallel and set them to different rates. Sum them together in mono. Sonic Nirvana! Not only that, but with proper tweaking, you can also do killer flanging.

Even better: Modulate the speed of one or two of them from a highly integrated (smoothed) envelope off your guitar.

This is a big secret so I hope you read this message soon. It will self-destruct in five minutes.

BTW Mats - I sent you a copy of the epic Hall E video you hosted for your viewing enjoyment. You outdid yourself this year, and it should be posted in the HC Theater soon. I still have to separate it into four parts to put on YouTube, though. Thanks Mats!!

• Members

BTW Mats - I sent you a copy of the epic Hall E video you hosted for your viewing enjoyment. You outdid yourself this year, and it should be posted in the HC Theater soon. I still have to separate it into four parts to put on YouTube, though. Thanks Mats!!

Hi Craig,

Just downloaded it but haven't seen it yet. Thanks for the "promotion". Hope loads of people watch it.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Get two, three, four, whatever vibrato plug-ins. Run them in parallel and set them to different rates. Sum them together in mono. Sonic Nirvana! Not only that, but with proper tweaking, you can also do killer flanging.

Even better: Modulate the speed of one or two of them from a highly integrated (smoothed) envelope off your guitar.

This is a big secret so I hope you read this message soon. It will self-destruct in five minutes.

Oh, dear....will the EQ Magazine article that you wrote that in also self-destruct in five minutes?

Archived