Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - what's Chinese for oh s**t!

YES, IT IS A 13 STORY BUILDING LYING ON THE GROUND.
    (1) An underground garage was being dug on the south side, to a depth of 4.6 meters
    (2) The excavated dirt was being piled up on the north side, to a height of 10 meters
    (3) The building experienced uneven lateral pressure from south and north
    (4) This resulted in a lateral pressure of 3,000 tonnes, which was greater than what the pilings could tolerate.

Thus the building toppled over in the southerly direction.
    Recording Studio Design Forum
    Design Site

That's in Shanghai.

Solid construction, but the fundament was a bit weak.

Alternative views of the architectural art performance:

http://images.google.ch/images?hl=de&num=10&lr=&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UT F-8&q=Shanghai%20collapsing&sa=N&tab=wi

Comment

fundament a bit week - it was held in place with hollow pipes with no steel reinforcement - I doubt the builder is still alive
      Recording Studio Design Forum
      Design Site

Comment

what? it didnt fall straight down like an implosion? i thought all damaged buildings fell straight down like an implosion....

this is pretty old news though BTW.
        band status - "its complicated"

Comment

Solid construction...........

Huh?

Comment

Huh?

Building solid, foundation not.

Comment

People in it?
              Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Pretty amazing that the building fell over in one piece, but even more amazing is that (unless I'm viewing this wrong) most of the windows appear to be intact.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guitar projects: http://diystrat.blogspot.com

Comment

fundament a bit week - it was held in place with hollow pipes with no steel reinforcement - I doubt the builder is still alive

education is very expensive in China, and we need more architects and structural analysts then available - this is a good chance to earn an income for the uneducated, and when caught immediate retirement is also secured.

p.s. my house has only two floors.

Comment

Working...
                  X