Sing "My Way" in The Philippines... and get killed.

rasputin1963

• Members

This is going insta-viral on music BBs. I just posted a reply on the topic at GS and then quoted myself in the SW forum here.

The whole story is amazing, though I knew such killings happened and one recently occurred in the NYC area, I believe.

As I wrote at GS, I thought the use of gay men to diffuse fights was particularly interesting.

And I noted that it would only work in a culture where beating up on the those perceived as weak or vulnerable is seen as cowardly and wrong. Imagine a bar tried that in some parts of the United States.

• Members

Oh crap; someone stole my idea. I wanted to to a paintball karaoke contest in which all of the singers wear shirts with bullseye's on them and the judges use paintball guns. You shoot the singers that you like the least and the singer at the end of the night with the least amount of paintball marks wins.

bullseye_shirt.jpg

I think it would be extremely entertaining; at least for me.

• Members

my better half wants me to go sing kereoke with her.

I tolde her it's like haveing sex with a canned ham.

yeah you can get a nut but look at what you did it with.

So, you've experienced 'sex' with a 'Canned ham?'

You must have been truly sexually desperate at some point in your life.

you villified a perfectly good compacted mass of gelelatinous pieces of Pig Meat...

Just think of all those poor starving kids in Kenya.

• Members

OMG I had to record "My Way" for a friend the other day (that's a true friend) ... now I have to mix it. If there's anyone out there that cares .. PLEASE help keep me from slashing my wrists.

Russ

Nashville

The article says that Filipino lounge denizens, more than anything, are turned off by the narcissistic, improbable swagger of the Paul Anka lyric. [When one has one foot in the grave, as the singer declares, does he really indulge in an elaborate gloat-fest like this one? Somehow, I doubt it...]

That--- plus the fact that the song is just too damned LONG... in karaoke, that's excruciating in itself---- enough to make one wish "the end was near".

• Members

I'm Filipino (though I was born and raised in the USA)...

Here's a little factoid: Though Karaoke was a Japanese innovation, Filipinos were the first to import it from Asia to the US. My family had a karaoke machine since the early 1980s (back then they only used cassettes and 8-tracks, I kid you not). Anyway, "My Way" was a song I always heard drunk uncles sing at every single damn family party I attended. And usually the drunk uncles would turn up that cheesy karaoke echo full blast. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's this insane slapback delay with a crazy feedback level. I don't know why they like it, maybe it gives them some sort of supernatural singing ability or something. I have reason to believe an over-abundance of that cheesy karaoke echo drives people to violent behavior. It sure would make me kill someone if I heard it all night.

But I've never seen any incidents of karaoke-related violence (other than eardrum damage from off-key relatives). Then again, I grew up here in the US. But I have been to the Philippines several times, and believe it or not, karaoke is a 24-hour activity. I'd walk through my dad's hometown and hear people sing karaoke at the corner restaurant during breakfast. Insane!

• Members

Another interesting karaoke factoid, Elson:

In Japan, and even in San Francisco--- I've seen it with my own eyes---- Japanese bars will often employ a bouncer at the door to prevent the entrance of white/Anglo patrons... with the firm cry, "No Gai-Jin! No Gai-Jin!"

I think they feel that honkies ruin the mood of gemutlich racial pride that karaoke sessions tend to rouse up....

Either that or they don't want some drunken American clown to get up with his soused work buddies to sing a mock-faggy version of "It's My Party (And I'll Cry If I Want To)"

Archived