Starting A Band In Your 40s

Mark L

• Members

I was writing about the debut album... sorry if I confused that with the new band. I've got band issues I'm dealing with at the tender age of 48 -- I can relate.

Oh I see. My apologies :o

And thanks! :)

Good luck with your band. How many members? Luckily, there are only three people in mine

• Members

Your music is quintessenial Brit Pop...You pay tribute to your musical heroes but do not labor to 'ape' them.

Saul T. Nads' music is truly music to my ears, I think I mentioned before your stuff is very reminiscent of my style.

I'm a sucker for Brit Pop, tight soaring, harmonies, jangling 12 Strings , and most of all catchy chord changes...some of your chord changes are predictible/likeable... but some are just extraordinarily beautiful and diverse.

Big 'Props' to Mr. Buckley (Ernesto 'B'/NYC) for his excellent remastering.:thu:

• Members

Your music is quintessenial Brit Pop...You pay tribute to your musical heroes but do not labor to 'ape' them.

Saul T. Nads' music is truly music to my ears, I think I mentioned before your stuff is very reminiscent of my style.

I'm a sucker for Brit Pop, tight soaring, harmonies, jangling 12 Strings , and most of all catchy chord changes...some of your chord changes are predictible/likeable... but some are just extraordinarily beautiful and diverse.

Big 'Props' to Mr. Buckley (Ernesto 'B'/NYC) for his excellent remastering.
:thu:

Props indeed to Mr. Buckley - I love what he's done with my tunes :cool:

Thanks for your kind comments, good sir :). I tried to sig your whole post, but I got a 'you've used too many characters' error message. Therefore I've included an edited version. Hope that's ok with you

Anyone else start a band in their 40s? By the way, the idea for this thread came from the excellent Mr. Rasputin. Cheers, Ras :thu:

• Members

It ain't easy.....

Hey Salty,

I did the band thing long ago, one of the most frustrating musical periods of my life and I have a tremendous amount of respect for any band that can not only survive but thrive. I think of a band like U2 that has been together for 30 years, that is truly a miracle. The Stones another... truly amazing. With that said, the older I get, the more precious my time is and I refuse to spend it with people who are getting in the way of my music journey. So I don`t do the band thing anymore but I do have friends I play with from time to time but I refuse to call us a band because that then limits what we do and what I can do. For example, at my last gig, I used another drummer because my usual drummer could not make it. Not only did he completely rock, he made us play better! My usual drummer is great and I love the guy but its nice to know we are not limited in what we do. Same goes for the bass player and guitarist. I am actually working with many other people on my next record who had nothing to do with the first and are not even the guys I play with on a normal basis but I truly enjoy the freedom and like I said, once you label a group as your band, you lose that. So I`m basically a singer-songwriter who plays it out with the same guys but on occasion, I all upon different people. No egos to deal with except mine! Just the way I like it. :p

So what I`m trying to say is, you`re probably doing the band thing because its cheaper than hiring people every time you want to rehearse and gig but you`re probably going to have to deal with a lot more headaches. So maybe you should consider my MO. You have the songs and the talent, you just need a "support group". I`m not trying to downplay the other musicians in a band but you can play guitar and sing so that handles the key points. You just need to get a solid rhythm section and another guitarist to fill out your sound. Just my $02.

• Members

Your post made for a very interesting read, Ernest. Thanks :thu:

However, here's where I'm at:

I no longer have the urge to write songs. It's been about a year since I wrote my last one, and to be honest I don't miss writing songs at all. I've written all the songs I'm going to write, I reckon

The singer/guitarist in Turtle Z is a very talented songwriter and I'm more than happy to come up with bass lines to complement his tunes. We also do some covers, and they're fun to do

So at the moment I'm content to be the bass-player in a three-piece band. We do a couple of my songs, you know - 'You Never Leave The Light On' and 'In Your Eyes'. Wayne (singer/guitarist) has kindly said that the latter tune is one of his favourite songs of all time by anybody! :)

• Members

wow - that's some arrogance -- you are saying your opinion is 100 more valuable than others
:mad:

;)

Nope, I`m saying that I know what I am: a singer-songwriter and I don`t need a band to really get the song across so I don`t need full time players. I do call upon people to back me up on occasion but whether they show up or not, I can get by without them. Its not arrogance. When I want a heavier sound, I call up my friends and we do a group thing, see? I didn`t use the B--- word! :thu:

Now when it comes to them playing what they play, I also give them my ideas and ask them to make it their own but try to keep some of the flavor I`m looking for. Considering their friends and they don`t get payed and they don`t write either, everyone is usually a happy camper. If they have an idea, I listen. If I like it, we keep it. Its all about my ego dammit. :)

• Members

I have always maintained that talent runs rampant on SSS.

The best way to critique music is to play it in a background mode...then listen to the reactionary comments...

Case in point;

week before Christmas 2008, family members chatting in the den, Ernest Buckleys album playing in the background...my wife's sister;

'Who's that...he's good!"

Summer BBQ 2009 Cooter Brown's Blues endeavor that he did on a whim...

my niece, all of 19, shakin' her hips, listening, 'Uncle Luke...that can't be a white boy singing like that?!'

Peeps arriving for the Super Bowl game tonight at my house...'Barmy Army' playing by Salty in the background...

'Luke, is that one of your new tunes?

I wish:)

Singer/Songwriters rule.. my 'Day in the Sun '?

co-wrote two top forty hits when I had just turned 17 years of age...I was a member of a garage band that a local radio DJ decided we were destined for bigger things...our songs were fueled by teenaged pimply faced angst.

We didn't record them but our MGR sold them to a rival North Jersey band...he cut a good deal,

I wrote songs like I wrote poetry, and in my journal. personal musings ...I Never wanted to be a recording artist,

I wanted to go to college like my dad, maybe write a short story like Steinbeck, but always, always wanted to continue to write and occasionally perform live music.

Enter a Tascam 4 track porto studio and I was in my glory....(dating myself)

I can do the bass, vocals, guitars, drums.... all by myself????

Holy Jeezuz!

Now I am an official one man band!!

Like Ernest said, I can call the ones I need to help me...and I more than often did...but to have complete control of your own creation is just an amazing feeling.

I still love the once a month, (or less), Sunday afternoon live gigs in New Hope, PA, with my long time buds on bass and drums...but my humble studio is my solace and comfort zone these days.

• Members

Well I'm gonna provide a completely opposite perspective to what Ernest said: namely I can't think of anything more boring than playing music without a band. I don't get the one-man band thing at all, and neither am I interested in playing with a bunch of hired guns (although I don't mind adding a hired gun or two to our basic 3-piece lineup for special occasions). I really thrive on the constant interplay between the same group of people, and the arrangement ideas they bring to the table which will likely be different (and in many cases, better) than what I would've come up with on my own. The songs really grow organically when you play them out a lot with the same band, too. It's great to get out and play a new song live and see what works about the arrangement and what doesn't, and maybe fine tune it from there.

Of course, if you're playing with musicians who aren't that great or are a real PITA to deal with as people, then it's hard to appreciate the benefits of being in a band. But if you can find people you really respect to work with, there's nothing like it.

As for being in a band in your 40s - well, I'm 46 and my band (who are all basically the same age) has been at it for 8 years, so I reckon I know a few things about that. ;) There are benefits and drawbacks to getting involved with a band at this age. The drawbacks are that it can be tough to meet people to play with (but sounds like you've already got that covered), and that people our age tend to have more responsibilities and thus less time and energy to devote to the band. Some people's chops and creativity may suffer because of this.

The upside is 1) people are more mature and you don't usually have so much angst and drama. 2) Most people don't think they're going to become rock stars at 45 so you're more likely to find people who have the same goals as you do, which is a BIG PLUS. 3) People in our age group usually have a decent income and therefore can afford decent gear, practice space, studio time, etc. 4) People have often realized by this age that playing a bunch of noodly solos and complex stuff doesn't really impress audiences, and have learned to play to the song, manage their stage volume and things like that. 5) People our age learned how to sing before there was Autotune. :D

Frankly I enjoy this band a lot more than I enjoyed the bands I had when I was younger, for all the above reasons. I also feel like there's really nothing I can throw at these guys that they wouldn't be able to do or wouldn't want to do. So, I say if you've found some folks you like and respect, you've got most of the battle won, even though there will still be some obstacles forming a band at this time of your life. But I reckon there are obstacles no matter what you do that is worthwhile.

Good luck with it and have fun!

• Members

Well I'm gonna provide a completely opposite perspective to what Ernest said: namely I can't think of anything more boring than playing music without a band. I don't get the one-man band thing at all, and neither am I interested in playing with a bunch of hired guns (although I don't mind
adding
a hired gun or two to our basic 3-piece lineup for special occasions). I really thrive on the constant interplay between the same group of people, and the arrangement ideas they bring to the table which will likely be different (and in many cases, better) than what I would've come up with on my own. The songs really grow organically when you play them out a lot with the same band, too. It's great to get out and play a new song live and see what works about the arrangement and what doesn't, and maybe fine tune it from there.

Of course, if you're playing with musicians who aren't that great or are a real PITA to deal with as people, then it's hard to appreciate the benefits of being in a band. But if you can find people you really respect to work with, there's nothing like it.

As for being in a band in your 40s - well, I'm 46 and my band (who are all basically the same age) has been at it for 8 years, so I reckon I know a few things about that.
;)
There are benefits and drawbacks to getting involved with a band at this age. The drawbacks are that it can be tough to meet people to play with (but sounds like you've already got that covered), and that people our age tend to have more responsibilities and thus less time and energy to devote to the band. Some people's chops and creativity may suffer because of this.

The upside is 1) people are more mature and you don't usually have so much angst and drama. 2) Most people don't think they're going to become rock stars at 45 so you're more likely to find people who have the same goals as you do, which is a BIG PLUS. 3) People in our age group usually have a decent income and therefore can afford decent gear, practice space, studio time, etc. 4) People have often realized by this age that playing a bunch of noodly solos and complex stuff doesn't really impress audiences, and have learned to play to the song, manage their stage volume and things like that. 5) People our age learned how to sing before there was Autotune.
:D

Frankly I enjoy this band a lot more than I enjoyed the bands I had when I was younger, for all the above reasons. I also feel like there's really nothing I can throw at these guys that they wouldn't be able to do or wouldn't want to do. So, I say if you've found some folks you like and respect, you've got most of the battle won, even though there will still be some obstacles forming a band at this time of your life. But I reckon there are obstacles no matter what you do that is worthwhile.

Good luck with it and have fun!

My egos too big to ever admit anyone besides myself would have such great ideas as...uh... myself. :D

Seriously, all kidding aside, I hardly perform out but if I did so, say once a week, I would have to have a band. Considering I play out maybe 1 to 2 a year, it doesn`t pay to have a band.

With that said, any group of people that can work together as equals for an extended period of time with success, truly deserves to be in the R&R Hall of Fame just for that achievement.

My songs do take on a different tone when I play with others but whether they are better or not... that depends. I have had people tell me to stay solo. Others enjoy "the band". To me, its just nice to know that someone is enjoying it. Lee, I think it really depends on the songwriter you are. I used to write with just myself in mind and I think thats why people comment the way they do, those songs do sound pretty good alone. The last few years, I`ve been writing with a band in mind but also knowing, I should make the song work as a soloist. Its a bit tricky at times. ;)

• Members

We wishes yer well, matey.
:thu:

Thanks, Ras :)

I have a confession to make. Getting this band set up has been ridiculously easy! :o. Thing is, Wayne (singer/guitarist) and Dave (drummer/vocalist) had already been practising for about 10 months before I joined. I used to be in a band with said two gentlemen and another bloke in the early 2000s, but after the band split we lost touch

Then along came Facebook and lo and behold, we found each other again. The guys were looking for a bassist and I had nothing better to do, so I agreed to join them. I had to learn 40 songs in double-quick time. To my surprise I found that bass-playing felt quite natural to me (I'd already played bass on my songs, of course, but being 'a bassist' in a band is another kettle of fish)

So there you have it. So far it's been easy. What a fraud I am! Our first gig is on the 18th Feb. Maybe it'll become less easy as we get into gigging. I dunno. It'll be an adventure, I'm sure.....

• Members

Seriously, all kidding aside, I hardly perform out but if I did so, say once a week,
I would have to have a band
. Considering I play out maybe 1 to 2 a year, it doesn`t pay to have a band.

Yeah, it really depends what your priorities are... to me, I don't see the point of music if not to play live and interact with other musicians, both onstage and in the studio. My songwriting is nearly always geared toward that, although frankly I don't have a lot of control over my songwriting anyway - I just write whatever comes out. :lol:

Archived