Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r.i.p. Doug Fieger of the Knack

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100214/METRO/2140317/Knack-lead-singer-Doug-Fieger-dies-of-cancer
    Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

RIP, Mr Feiger.

‚Äč
    music and social stuff

Comment

What a shame. I owned that album back in 1980. I couldn't understand the knocking that they sometimes got ("Nuke The Knack!") when they were compared to The Beatles.
      Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

bum-BUM-bum-BUM-bum-BUM-bada-bada-bum-BUM-bada-BUM--BYYYYE DOUG FIEGER!!!

Couldn't resist. Seriously, though--I heard it on the radio just the other day; that was a great rock 'n roll song. He will be missed. R.I.P., Doug.

Comment

RIP. I like the Knack.
          Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

Sad news. RIP.

Comment

They were subjected to a HUGE backlash, but I really liked Get The Knack a lot, and am sad to hear of Doug's passing.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I didn't get the backlash, either.
                Well...maybe the lyrics were straight out of 10th grade, but as far as the music goes, it was A+ power pop.
                Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

That was probably the very first rock song I liked as a kid. The song is so simple but so cool. And it even had an instrumental bridge. Thank you, Doug!
                  Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Very sad.

My cousin was a huge Knack fan and got me into the band as well. I regret not seeing them with him when they were promoting ZOOM back in '98. I think they were playing in Minneapolis or possibly even Grand Forks at the time. Great music and a somewhat under-rated band.
                    (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

To Mr Fieger's family and friends, I offer M-m-m-my condolences.
                      Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

I was/am a HUGE fan of the Knack.

Sad to hear about Mr. Fieger's passing.
                        Mudcat007, AKA Mudcat at Musicplayer.

"Never underestimate the power of Eric Estrada." wraub

Comment

I didn't get the backlash, either.

It was the kiss of death back then to be compared to The Beatles -- earlier victims of this phenomenon included The Raspberries and Bay City Rollers -- and The Knack invited comparisons by consciously copying The Beatles' image in their marketing. (More here)

It's a shame because they might have had long careers if they had just created their own image like other bands.

But yes, "My Sharona" was an irresistible single back in 1979, and it's a classic today.

I'm sad to hear about Doug Fieger's passing.

R.I.P. Doug.

Best,

Geoff
                          Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Comment

RIP.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-the-beat-goes-on/posts/doug-fieger-lead-singer-of-the-knack-dies-of-cancer

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
                            About me
                            johnpbarton.bandcamp.com
                            Upcoming gigs

I am smarter than 90.83% of the rest of the world.
                            Find out how smart you are.

Originally Posted by Lee Knight

Yep. And be sure to clear the trash cans when you jump off the garage roof. Up, up and awahhhh****************

Comment

Working...
                            X