Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What albums do you keep going back to?

Been ripping lots of CDs into my iTunes lately and was wondering if anyone else does this... I seem to listen to the same records over and over and over again. I mean, I have lots of CDs and love lots of different genres but I continue to return to certain records or songs from certain artists...

Heres a list of some records I turn to constantly...

U2, The Joshua Tree,
    U2, No Line on The Horizon (at first I didn`t like it but it has grown on me)
    U2, Achtung Baby
    Shawn Colvin, A Few Small Repairs and Whole New You
    Seal, System
    Audioslave and Rage Against the Machine (same instrumentalists, something about their sound...)
    Marc Cohn, (John Leventhal produced albums only)
    Mat Kearney, Nothing Left To Lose and City of Black and White
    Josh Rouse, most of his stuff
    Madonna, Confessions on a Dance Floor
    Coldplay, as much as they get a bad rap, I have a tremendous amount of respect for them, each record of theirs is completely different
    Def Lepperd, Hysteria, I think I`m still shocked that this record sold as much as it did... still trying to figure out the secret of it
    ABBA, I know I`m going to get killed for this but I find their productions to be top notch and the melodies are friggin` catchy...
    Pink Floyd, Dark Side... Another record that just grabs me each time

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True through Get Happy
    Graham Parker - Squeezing Out the Sparks
    Crowded House - the 1st 3
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Glenn Gould - Goldberg Variations (1st one)
    Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
    Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters
    XTC - Black Sea and Oranges and Lemons
    Willian Orbit - Strange Cargo III
    Orbital - Snivilization

Comment

"OK Computer" by Radiohead, a lot of Zeppelin stuff, Javanese gamelan CDs on Smithsonian-Folkways, Emmylou Harris "Wrecking Ball", Ted Hawkins, R.E.M. "Murmur", Brian Eno, Sade "Rocks", Black Sabbath, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters, and much more.

I haven't mentioned more recent stuff because the question is "what do you keep going back to?" implying that it's older stuff that you keep returning to, not recent stuff that you really love.
      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

For starters,,, complete catalogs of the Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Elvis , Gene Vincent, Bill Doggett, Duane Eddy, Don Gibson, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Jerry Lee Lewis, Link Wray, even Ricky Nelson, well, not so much him but his butt-kickin' back-up band...(the best his dad Ozzie could buy)

Music I was introduced to by my older brother, and learned to play guitar to by listening to the 45's over and over playing my acoustc Stella guitar.

60's British Invasion next.... my Halcyon Days
        In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One-eyed Man is King.

Comment

Hmmmm.... off the top of my head

Abbey Road
          Let it Be Naked
          Jazz Rocket Science (among others) - Adam Holzman
          Romantic Warrior - RTF
          most Weather Report albums
          Golden Age of Wireless - T Dolby
          Dark Blue Dream - Steve Weingart
          Best of ELP
          Aja
          the first ZZ Top best of
          One of a Kind - Bruford
          Inside Out - Corea Elektric Band
          Wired - J Beck

Comment

More...Djivan Gasparyan, Hamza El Din, Lhasa's first album "La Llorona" (R.I.P, Lhasa), Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scientist, Bob Marley...
            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Stuff I always go back to....

I love the Rhino HAVE A NICE DAY: SUPER HITS OF THE SEVENTIES anthology. It's no secret here on SSS that I am a big fan of the "perfect three minute single". It's like, can you make three minutes of pure ear-candy... where every note and every voice has to function correctly within its little tightly-knit web of entertainment.... Hooks-within-hooks.... almost like the equivalent of a short-story, when nothing must be superfluous... no room at all for self-indulgence, vacant posturing or eternal, navel-gazing soloes. Nice vocal harmonies, innocent lyrics, clever beats/grooves, engaging melodies, old-school dipping and swooping string parts..... arrangements that have a beginning, a middle, and an end.... This series covers not your great big acts, but rather your one-hit wonders and lower-charting gems, from the period in American radio when one AM station would play an eclectic mix of pop, novelty, country, bubblegum, psychedelia, Brit-pop, Eurovision, ballads, R&B, Funk, Disco, Broadway-derived hits, and so forth. Included here, surely, are some "songs you love to hate and songs you hate to love" ("I Like Dreamin'" by Kenny Nolan, anybody?) but whose recordmaking finesse is undeniable.

Another alltime fave album of mine is BELEZA TROPICAL, an anthology of Brazilian pop hits, compiled lovingly by David Byrne, in the "Tropicalismo" style (circa 1969--1980). What Brazilian pop evolved into after the Bossa Nova movement and the rise of Rock and American R&B sensibilities. Hits by Chico Buarque, Maria Bethania, the wonderfully appealing voice of Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Lo Borges. Every cut on this album is a stunner.... jaw-dropping arrangements tinged with African urgency, fascinating unpredictable melodies and chord-progressions, gorgeous harmonies, infectious, intoxicating jungley rhythms... Yet everything has that tightly-knit "three minute gem" quality I so admire and aspire to. Brazilian recordmakers had a freedom of expressive possibility that their American counterparts didn't dare.

Mercury Records GROWIN' UP TOO FAST. Anthology of lesser-known girl group hits from the period approximately 1962--1966. Perfect, sweet American three-minute pop, written by great Brill Building and Philly composers. Their records that woulda-shoulda-coulda. When rock 'n' roll songwriting still was tinged with the lofty imprimatur of Tin Pan Alley. It's all aural Prozac. Impossibly catchy, infectious little grooves and melodies. Sometimes the lyrics are simplistic, even ludicrous or banal, but that's part of the fun.

FRENCH SIXTIES. A great album of French pop from the period 1961--1969. The "Yeh Yeh" style is presented, as well as the anthemic songs that graced San Remo and Eurovision of the day. and A number of covers of American hits, in the French language. Much charm, much integrity, much beauty. Not as hard-polished as American discs of the period, a certain "roughness" there, but redeemed by emotional sincerity, is very winning.

SONGS THAT WON THE WAR
              . Series. Vocal pop hits with Big Band/orchestral accompaniments from the WWII era: Dinah Shore, The Ink Spots, Buddy Clark, Vaughan Monroe, a young Frank Sinatra, the Pied Pipers, The Andrews Sisters. Precious, often heartstring-tugging ballads and ditties with an uber-patriotic American zeal. "When America was America", you might say.... Sensuous, sophisticated, dazzlingly authoritative string and horn arrangements when nothing but the best would do. Flawless lyric-writing, Bebop influences, "hep harmony" tight choirs.

These are records I just never tire of. I do like Various Artist collections because I like to get a feel for the larger styles that swept a country during any given decade.
              Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Black Love The Afghan Whigs
                Blackberry Belle Twilight Singers
                Mirrorball Live Sarah Mclachlan
                Engineers are retarded. They have some kind of brain damage that allows them to not have social skills so they can concentrate long enough to write code.

Jim Reeks

Comment

Oscar Peterson Trio - play West Side Story
                  Dave Brubeck Quartet - live at Carnegie Hall
                  Paul and Linda McCartney - RAM.
                  Quincy Jone - Smackwater Jack.
                  Swingle Singers sing Bach.
                  Michel Columbier - Wings
                  Recording Studio Design Forum
                  Design Site

Comment

I tend to go back to artists, rather than albums. I'm finishing up a 6-week re-immersion of Hall & Oates, to be replaced now with a Sade fest, thanks to their decade-too-long dry spell.
                    Before that, it was Zappa, a long dose of Zack Claxton, and I think it was Donald Fagen before that (discovered a DVD-A in 5.1 to play on my new system!).
                    Other artists I keep going back to: Chicago, EW&F, FoW, Bryan Ferry, BT, Steely Dan, Basia, Joni, etc. Just seem to go thru all the albums over a period of weeks before going on to the next (except Zappa, it'd take me 14 months to go thru them all again at once).
                    Botch
                    Start by admitting, From cradle to tomb,
                    Isn't that long a stay.
                    Life is a cabaret, old chum, and I love a cabaret...

Comment

In The Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson never forget the first time I heard it
                      all Beatles.
                      Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix
                      Standup - Jethro Tull
                      Fumbling Towards Ecstacy - Sarah McLaughlan
                      Heavy Weather - Weather Report
                      Allman Bros. first album and Idlewild South
                      ELP 1st album
                      Ummagumma, Echos, Dark Side - Pink Floyd
                      Concerto for Orchestra - Chicago Symphony, Seiji Ozawa
                      A Step Forward - Savoy Brown
                      Home - Procol Harum
                      Phantasmagoria - Curved Air
                      Alone Together - Dave Mason
                      Octopus - Gentle Giant
                      Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot - Genesis
                      Electric Outlet - John Scofield
                      Turning Point - John Mayall
                      The Doors 1st
                      The Yes Album - Yes

many more
                      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=742896
                      http://www.volunteersband.com

Comment

How could I forget the late great Buddy Holly?...it was this month...you know the rest.
                        In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One-eyed Man is King.

Comment

How could I forget the late great Buddy Holly?...it was this month...you know the rest.

+1 BRO

I still wish it had been Kevin Federline in that plane instead of Buddy.
                          My Own Machine

Comment

Many by -
                            XTC
                            David Sylvian
                            Neil Finn (bands and solo)
                            Kit Watkins
                            Bill Withers
                            Led Zeppelin
                            David Sancious
                            Jeff Beck
                            Eno
                            Squeeze
                            Miles Davis (older)
                            Trilok Gurtu
                            Brand X
                            Kate Bush
                            Bill Nelson
                            King Crimson
                            Peter Gabriel (solo and Genesis)
                            many more......

albums I stay away from -
                            let's start with Return To Forever - Musicmagic.
                            Support Live Music!

Comment

Sorry to be "complicated" about this....BUT!!!!

I go back to some albums for many many repeat listens as a kind of audible comfort food:

Faure: Pelleas et Melisande and Complete Music for Cello
                              Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin
                              Beethoven piano sonatas Nos. 6, 8, 9, 14, 15, 30
                              Chopin Piano Preludes
                              Debussy: La Mer
                              The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place
                              Beck - Sea Change
                              Robert Rich & Lustmord - Stalker
                              Biosphere - Substrata
                              The Blue Nile - Hats
                              Spacetime Continuum - Sea Biscuit
                              Charlie Haden Quartet - Haunted Heart
                              Pat Metheny - Secret Story
                              Dave Mason - Alone Together
                              Fleet Foxes - self titled first album
                              Weather Report albums about the 3rd through the 8th or so
                              Jack Dangers - Loudness Clarifies
                              Medeski, Martin & Wood - Shackman
                              Joe Henderson - Double Rainbow
                              John Abercrombie - November
                              John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
                              Kenny Burrell - Moon and Sand
                              Kiln - Ampday
                              The Orb - Orblivion, The Dream
                              Patrick O'Hearn - Metaphor

this is ridiculous - I could list 100 more......that'll have to do

And the OTHER category are albums that I return to only rarely because they so blow my mind I don't want to dull the experience with too much exposure....but they are definitely "repeaters" of the most exalted kind. Here's just a few before I get carried away again..

Mozart String Quintet in G minor K.516
                              Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes - Question and Answer
                              Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
                              Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up
                              Peter Gabriel - Passion
                              Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void
                              Bach Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites

and too many more....must stop.....

nat whilk ii

Comment

Working...
                              X