Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No time for that! you've got a BA to get, packing to do and heavy equipment to get your cert current on!
    for the children Rudy -- log off now!

that's it

FOR THE CHILDREN

Comment

that's it

FOR THE CHILDREN

exactly!! - log off now rudy!!!

Comment

Getting back to the subject, anyone else?
        Support Live Music!

Comment

kind of to tie together the cultural aspect and interdisciplinary study opportunities i guess - the study of music offers a neat environment and examples, maybe a lens to give context to other studies
          Musical temperament is a classic mathematical product-of-primes problem, sounds (esp musical sounds as they have organization, so are easier to parse) can be a good and seductive way to give context to processes like Fourier analysis
          politically we've got anthems, slave music - and bans and sanctions on various forms
          culturally weve got everything from drinking songs to funeral dirges and dance music
          what types of instruments were developed can be indicative of certain anthropological constraints...nomadic cultures are not going to develop large organs and such

The list could just go on and on

Comment

Thanks for the posts paulz.
            Support Live Music!

Comment

Because music is not only pervasive in our culture, it is pervasive in ALL cultures, and a fundamental, defining trait of our species. It makes life worth while.

Comment

Silence was the biggest musical inspiration for me so far.

Comment

well, assuming that there will always be a contingent of human population who are poverty-stricken:

Music fleshes out, gives depth and dimension and flexibility to the human character. Right now, with less music and art available, we are teaching kids that the purpose of being alive is to count money and shuffle papers. Under the pretext of "preparing youngsters for the unique demands of future society". No wonder we have a skyrocketing teenage suicide rate. I can't think of a human fate more dull, producing a more boring human.... I've known me some real dull Texas, New York, South African and California millionaires, I'm tellin' ya...

I suspect that the quality of pop music will improve as we have generations of kids who've studied music. Listen to a 1940's Big Band arrangement.... listen to how musically complex is the horn arrangement......then consider that this was the pop music American teens were listening to at the time...

There is this.....free-floating feeling or assumption.... that somehow Tonality (Western harmony and Melody) is dead, that its possibilities have somehow become exhausted. Or that the pace of life has become too fast for it. I just don't believe it, and don't want today's pop music to move into just jungly drumbeats with little real melody or harmony attached.
                  Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I had a 14 years experience in music profession in classical Music as well as 4 years in western music,I had taken a lead in this field and became a tuter,believe me friends this profession is really hapenning,Music is a bridze between two hearts it is the link between two strangers.So go ahead and spread the knowlwdge of music and teach love.

Comment

Improved and more widespread music education reduces the demand for the bubblegum pop that has driven Rudolf insane.

Comment

The inter-disciplinary aspects of musical education have wide application in any other area of study.
                        Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

somewhat disappointing is that BA and MA absolvents in music and media are unready for the jobs in the real world

Comment

somewhat disappointing is that BA and MA absolvents in music and media are unready for the jobs in the real world

Unless a music school has a full-blown MIDI and digital recording outfit (some do, some don't) , they are, indeed, woefully behind the times.
                            Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I thought bp was talking about music education at the kindergarten to high school levels, not the university level.

Comment

Working...
                              X