X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a case for teaching music in schools

I would hope that most everyone here is behind music education. Let's see how many points we can pull together.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone can bring to the table.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Century Gothic"><font size="4">Support Live Music!</font></font></div>

OK - I'll start.

Music education can provide a bridge between music, literature, math, and science. That can't hurt education in the broader sense.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Century Gothic"><font size="4">Support Live Music!</font></font></div>

Comment

what do we need music education for when still a child dies every three seconds in Africa?

Comment

what do we need music education for when still a child dies every three seconds in Africa?

The better our population is educated, and the more exposure they have to things like the fine arts and other "liberal" subjects, the more likely we are to not only be able to help out the rest of the world, but also to actually lend that assistance when we can.

There has never been a correlation shown between more music education and higher crime or drop-out rates.
        ...but, this one goes to eleven.

Comment

For the same reason we need Rudolphs tippy typing on the interwebz when that's happening.

Comment

okay, okay...

Musician with a BA down to Africa ---> IMMEDIATELY !!!

Comment

When does your plane leave?
              you should probably be packing and reupping your heavy equipment cert

Comment

i have no BA in music, I can stay here

Comment

i have no BA in music, I can stay here

not if you feel that way with the Africa situation...now you need to pack, reup your heavy equipment cert AND get a BA -- whew it's going to be a busy day for you -- you probably better log off...for the children

Comment

Music is prevalent in out culture. We either listen actively (use an iPod) or passivly (watch TV or a movie, go to a hockey game, play a video game).

Since music is such a huge part of our cultural experience, it's important that kids have a basic understanding of what it is and how it works.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Being right all the time is kind of boring.</div>

Comment

Here lesson #1

Aspects of Music_1.1.pdf

for you-all's music education:

Comment

not if you feel that way with the Africa situation...now you need to pack, reup your heavy equipment cert AND get a BA -- whew it's going to be a busy day for you -- you probably better log off...for the children

okay okay,

I promise to make the next Bread For Life tv-spot for the ICRC for one-third the royalties.

Comment

I like it because it reflects a number of skills, some of which are pretty abstract and gives pupil feedback in a couple of intuitive (and relatively easy to digest) ways.

As an example -- composition through performance of a piece is, well, can be a product lifecycle.
                          you compose - that's research
                          you orchestrate/arrange - that's development --the engineering dealing with the 'ideal' or abstract and putting it into operation in imperfect and/or contexts with limits like limited ranges of voices and instruments or harmonic clashing -- even different specs like baroque vs modern tunings...all kinds of stuff
                          Oh, then you have rehearsal (which can be tricky especially with ensembles) so you have production and the overhead you can have there...unanticipated difficulties and workarounds -- in architecture you have two kinds of plans, the design plans and the 'as built'
                          this guy is having trouble, this other guy is slacking, the schedule is slipping, the percussion keeps playing while people are tuning, the horns have a problem with their parts...you name it
                          Then there's roll out - the performance - with all that comes with, from how presentation works to dealing with the remaining imperfection, to dealing with critique to just general **************** management on the fly

and the results of the experiment comes out in a kinesthetic form as you play the piece in audio as you listen to the piece, in social form as you see audience reaction and learn to navigate the internal workings of an ensemble.

so it's can work like the old Neil Stephenson thing "The human mind can absorb and process an incredible amount of information - if it comes in the right format. the right interface. If you put the right face on it"

just an example, there's a lot more to learn in there

Comment

okay okay,

I promise to make the next Bread For Life tv-spot for the ICRC for one-third the royalties.

No time for that! you've got a BA to get, packing to do and heavy equipment to get your cert current on!
                            for the children Rudy -- log off now!

Comment

Angelo shows that an education can't solve everything.

Back to world hunger.....

Comment

Working...
                              X