Vancouver Olympics opening ceremonies

Jeff da Weasel

• Members

I enjoyed them. :thu:

Obviously sad news about the luger from Georgia who died in the practice run, but it didn't really overshadow the entire opening ceremonies, and if anything made them more poignant.

Anyway, I thought they did an amazing job with the projections around the arena, and the way they showcased Canada as a country was great too. A lot of folks this morning were complaining about various aspects of it, but I really enjoyed it even more than the gigantic Beijing ceremony from 2008. It was less overblown and more intimate and focused.

Did you see it?

• Members

I didn't see all of it, but those were the impressions that I had as well. The Beijing Opening Ceremonies were more jaw-dropping because of the beauty and scale, but these were impressive in a very different way (and at a tenth of the price, according to the announcer). And it also totally made me want to visit Canada again.

• Members

And it also totally made me want to visit Canada again.

Bingo. Same here.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm a bit of a musical Canadaphile (Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, etc.). Even though it was lip-synched, I thought k.d. lang's version of "Hallelujah" was quite nice. :thu:

• Members

My reaction was: What the hell is all this for? Why aren't athletes doing any athletics? What possible purpose does all that crap serve? Especially that bride-of-Frankenstein opera singer....

Uh, hate to tell you this, but they've been doing Olympic opening ceremonies like this for over a hundred years...

• Members

I didn`t see the opening ceremony but I do try to watch some of it when I get a chance. I still like the idea behind the Olympics though now most of the athletes are getting paid through one vehicle or another.

Looking forward to mens hockey!

My issue is the NBC coverage... they`ve got 4 channels on my cable system and its only on one. Too much talking and not enough action. I enjoy the stories leading up to an event but there are just too many interruptions between events so the momentum is lost and its hard to focus.

Not sure what other way to do this than to provide specific pay per view events that way you get all the hockey coverage... that may be the way to go in the future but not sure how many people are going to pay.

• Members

Too much talking and not enough action.

I'll tell ya, it's endemic in all sports coverage in the USA these days. I don't know why these guys all feel compelled to make sure there's never 0.3 seconds of airtime that's not slathered in blabber.

Costas and Lauer, who should know better, were chatting incessantly throughout the opening ceremonies. Just non-stop. At times, it would have been much nicer for them to shut up and let the viewers experience some of the ambience on their own.

• Members

I hear ya. Not that I'm defending NBC, but they did stop replaying it after one or two airings (which is already one or two too many, in my opinion).

One or two? No, they aired it at least 20 times on Friday. It was only until Saturday, the first day of competition, where they decided not to air it anymore.

• Members

Seriously? I only saw it once (which was more than I ever wanted to), and didn't realize they'd continued airing it. Horrible.

I actually didn`t see it on TV but I did google it and saw it online... don`t know why I watched, one of those weird things we do I guess but my heart goes out to his family who watched him live his life pursuing his dream. As sad as his death was and is, it brings me some comfort knowing he was doing what he loved. I know that may also sound weird but think about it, when you go, wouldn`t you rather go doing something you love like making music? Even if it means getting zapped while plugging your guitar into an amp...

With that said, it seems this track was built for un-godly speed and many athletes were complaining about it. So it seems that this should not have happened. Thats a real shame.

• Members

I know that may also sound weird but think about it, when you go, wouldn`t you rather go doing something you love like making music? Even if it means getting zapped while plugging your guitar into an amp...

No! I want to die in my sleep as a really old guy. Dying seems really stressful. I'd like to avoid that. Not death, but the realization that it's arrived. That way, I can just wake up and be dead. Or not.

Archived