Gil Scott-Heron is back...

tremolounge

• Members

His website includes a user's tutorial... :)

There is a proper procedure for taking advantage of any investment.

Music, for example. Buying a CD is an investment.

To get the maximum you must

LISTEN TO IT FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER OPTIMUM CONDITIONS.

Not in your car or on a portable player through a headset.

Take it home.

Get rid of all distractions....

• Members

[wikipedia]:

Gil Scott-Heron released his new album 'I'm New Here' on independent label XL Recordings on February 9, 2010. Produced by XL label owner Richard Russell, 'I'm New Here' is Scott-Heron's first album in thirteen years.The pair started recording the album in 2007, with the majority of the record being recorded over the last twelve months with engineer Lawson White at Clinton Studios in New York. In 2009, a new Gil Scott-Heron website, gilscottheron.net, was launched with a brand new track 'Where Did The Night Go' made available as a free download from the site.

There's a great "Making Of" video that comes with the iTunes album, where Russell talks about introducing samples and stuff to some of the tracks, and Gil really digging it, giving his "blessing" to going further in that direction.

• Members

I can imagine! Where did you make that album, Russ? NYC or... ?

Topanga Skyline Studios in California, I had just bought the Studio at the time, and outfitted it with a Euphonics CS-II console. I'd worked for several years with Malcolm Cecil at Westlake Studios, and Malcolm lives just up the hill from Topanga.

Russ

Nashville

• Members
Interesting. What genre does this music ordinarily get filed under? Sounds like he's part of that whole Laurie Anderson/Patti Smith NYC scene...

He was a kind of pre-rap beat poet, and his music was a blend of jazz, blues and street music. Other than being poets, and bit socially aware, I don't find many musical similarities to Patti Smith, or Laurie Anderson. And Heron was speaking Harlem, not Manhattan. And back then those two borroughs were like different planets.

• Members

A day or two after I saw this vid, the album popped up on the front page of Rhapsody so I threw it into my everyday playlist (a couple thousand songs).

"Me and the Devil" just came on and, after a few days of not hearing it, I didn't recognize it -- until Scott-Heron's voice, crackling with character and experience came on... It's really a terrific track, I think.

Archived