X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil Scott-Heron is back...

His new album, "I'm New Here" is out tomorrow, 2/9. Pretty powerful video for the first single:

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

This man has lived:

The album's actually available on iTunes today.

Comment

Awesome!

I
      "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
      ~John Lennon

Comment

Very cool.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

His website includes a user's tutorial...

There is a proper procedure for taking advantage of any investment.

Music, for example. Buying a CD is an investment.
          To get the maximum you must

LISTEN TO IT FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER OPTIMUM CONDITIONS.

Not in your car or on a portable player through a headset.
          Take it home.
          Get rid of all distractions....

Comment

Great to see, but now nobody's on the moon!
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Great to see, but now nobody's on the moon!

Whitey can't afford to go to the moon anymore...

Comment

Interesting. What genre does this music ordinarily get filed under?

Sounds like he's part of that whole Laurie Anderson/Patti Smith NYC scene...
                <div class="signaturecontainer"> <br />
                <font color="blue"><b><font color="olive"><font color="sienna"><font color="purple">Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. </font> </font></font><font color="olive">Wayne Thiebaud</font></b></font><br />
                <br />
                <br />
                <b><font color="#808000"><font color="blue"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/#!/rasputin1963/info" target="_blank">Friend me on FACEBOOK!</a> </font></font></b><br />
                <font color="#808000"> <br />
                <br />
                </font></div>

Comment

Sounds like he's part of that whole Laurie Anderson/Patti Smith NYC scene...

Quite a ways uptown...

Check out his wikipedia entry -- he's been around for a while.

Comment

Comment

WOW, thanks tremolounge,

I made an album with him in 1993 or 94, as I've done a lot of stuff with Malcolm Cecil. Did Malcolm do this album too ... I'm sure he did??? How long has it been since Gil's last album ???

Russ
                      Nashville
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;In Order To Predict The Future .... Create It&quot;</div>

Comment

[wikipedia]:

Gil Scott-Heron released his new album 'I'm New Here' on independent label XL Recordings on February 9, 2010. Produced by XL label owner Richard Russell, 'I'm New Here' is Scott-Heron's first album in thirteen years.The pair started recording the album in 2007, with the majority of the record being recorded over the last twelve months with engineer Lawson White at Clinton Studios in New York. In 2009, a new Gil Scott-Heron website, gilscottheron.net, was launched with a brand new track 'Where Did The Night Go' made available as a free download from the site.

There's a great "Making Of" video that comes with the iTunes album, where Russell talks about introducing samples and stuff to some of the tracks, and Gil really digging it, giving his "blessing" to going further in that direction.

Comment

WOW, looks like I made the last Gil Scott-Heron album since this new one, well maybe not, mine was 93-94??? At any rate, I figured he'd been out of the scene. Man he was one interesting dude to work with.

Russ
                          Nashville
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;In Order To Predict The Future .... Create It&quot;</div>

Comment

Man he was one interesting dude to work with.

I can imagine! Where did you make that album, Russ? NYC or... ?

Comment

I can imagine! Where did you make that album, Russ? NYC or... ?

Topanga Skyline Studios in California, I had just bought the Studio at the time, and outfitted it with a Euphonics CS-II console. I'd worked for several years with Malcolm Cecil at Westlake Studios, and Malcolm lives just up the hill from Topanga.

Russ
                              Nashville

Comment

Working...
                              X