"We Are The World" - 25 Years Later

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, did you like it?

Hell no!
    Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Yeah that was mostly pretty awful. But you can't hate on Wycelf.. that's his vocal style and he has done a ****************LOAD for Haiti, way before the disaster struck. He had some real insightful to **************** to say when I was fortunate enough to meet him this summer.. put a lot of things in perspective

I agree...this tragedy (the earthquake I mean not the song ) is close to his heart. But why couldn't he have just written a totally new song?
      Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

My heart breaks for those poor people in Haitii.
        I hope this helps them somehow.

On the other hand; this video did a great job at illuminating the trainwreck that the music industry is at this time. It amazes me that Q would let that much autotune and lack of vocal talent (wyclef included) get into the studio with him.

It just isn't about the music anymore.

I agree...this tragedy (the earthquake I mean not the song ) is close to his heart. But why couldn't he have just written a totally new song?
        Even with a brand new song it still would have been awful if they used the same people to sing it (except for the handful in the video that could actually sing).
        "It's all good; except when it's Great."

www.jotown.com

Comment

On the other hand; this video did a great job at illuminating the trainwreck that the music industry is at this time. It amazes me that Q would let that much autotune and lack of vocal talent (wyclef included) get into the studio with him.

Even with a brand new song it still would have been awful if they used the same people to sing it (except for the handful in the video that could actually sing).

[Standing Ovation]

100% Agreed

[/standing Ovation]
          www.guslozada.com

Comment

It may or may not be, but one thing's absolutely sure, it would be judged on its own merit and not be compared to a previous original version. Most of the criticism levied on WATW25 is simply because it's inferior to the original and largely unnecessary. This re-make **************** is all part of the contemporary entertainment industry's lazy, imagination-deficient re-hash culture.

Comment

My heart breaks for those poor people in Haitii.
              I hope this helps them somehow.

The first thing that came to mind about Quincy using AT was that he was trying to sound hip or modern. That bothers me because I always thought the guy was beyond that. And perhaps he is but the other thing I thought of was this... maybe he had no choice. Maybe the people above him told him, "this is whos singing, and make it sound modern!" If thats the case, thats sad too because even Quincy Jones can`t do it the way he wants. I guess we`ll never know the reason why such a genius has to be subjected to this but I know I was cringing as the song went on. Yeah, Celion Dion can actually sing but shes so over the top, I can`t take it. I thought Pink actually did a good job! And thats not AT.

Comment

Maybe so. But it wasn't that long ago when any producer worth his salt (or engineer for that matter) would tell you that you were off key, or that something was flat. It was important and it was how you grew and learned your craft. Clearly that kind of mentoring and care just doesn't happen anymore.

The engineer and the producer know that they can just tune it so they do. And the "talent" just carries on thinking that they sound great. It is like the story the Emperor's New Clothes; except the public doesn't undertand and the industry doesn't care enough to tell the Emperor that he is naked.
                "It's all good; except when it's Great."

www.jotown.com

Comment

Wow, that was pretty craptastic.

Comment

It's gotta be even worse in general because there's so little infrastructure there. Why have you been there 75 times? Were you helping out with an NGO or something else?

Lounge lizard on Caribbean cruise ships, bay-bee!
                    Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Do you think that maybe it was largely the artists who wanted or demanded that because that's the way they normally sound and wanted some continuity? I'm not trying to argue or defend anyone, just trying to look at other sides of this.
                      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I felt bad for Quincy, as that whole thing was clearly overproduced. Michael Jackson and Tony Bennett were the highlights, and they were the least digitized.

Gus, you don't know who Justin Bieber is??? You don't subscribe to Tiger Beat?!?!?
                        Pah.

That guy CAN NOT sing. He was on a "special" Today show program before the Super Bowl. Big audience of 6-10 y.o. girls crowding the stage. Vocals sounded like any 12 y.o. boy from any elementary school Christmas program, thin-toned, cracking, # or b, no breath control. My nephew can sing that well, but like a werewolf his hair was perfect.

And when the overhead camera pulled back a little too far you could see the huge crowd was about 4 rows deep, with their moms and dads standing around the edges. Maybe 150 people total?
                        Those who made and endorsed our Constitution knew man's nature, and it is to their ideas, rather than to the temptations of utopia, that we must ask that our judges adhere.

Comment

Do you think that maybe it was largely the artists who wanted or demanded that because that's the way they normally sound and wanted some continuity? I'm not trying to argue or defend anyone, just trying to look at other sides of this.

Yes, there is a whole generation of folks out there who think that autotune is the modern sound. If you listen to the radio, they are right! I'm not saying that I like it, but, lets face it, if you listen to Black Eyed Peas, you're going to expect some autotune. It's part of the sound. For those of you who doubt it, It's pretty hard to get auto tune to sound the way they want it to when you use it as an effect. On the Peas records, I think you'll find that AT is doing exactly what they want it to. It's not just some random stock preset.

I think we, as musicians and engineers, are far too critical most of the time. Quincy is PRO. Don't think for a minute that he or anyone else involved in this project "glossed over" anything. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't INTENTIONALLY done for an ARTISTIC REASON. I'm not sure that anyone here is better than all of the artists and engineers that were involved in this song production. If you are, then lets hear your version. Haiti needs the money.

Like David Foster always says, "See you on the charts".
                          Steve
                          http://www.hippocketrecords.com
                          http://www.extrememixing.com

Comment

Extreme Mixing -

A) Agreed, autotune is the (or at least "a") modern sound.
                            B) Artistic reason or not, it's lifeless and boring.
                            Those who made and endorsed our Constitution knew man's nature, and it is to their ideas, rather than to the temptations of utopia, that we must ask that our judges adhere.

Comment

I do not need to be better than Quincy to make an objective critic of his work and no one here is saying he is not a pro.

Still, when the audience thinks your "art" sucks, it sucks. Sorry.
                              Specially if it was made for general consumption.

Perhaps some could argue this was not made for us... but then, it was made for what audience?

The ones who could afford or may want to PAY for a tune, are the ones who appreciate people paying for a tune. That is US.

The youngsters? They will P2P it and Haiti won't get a dime from this ****************ty song.

Just saying.
                              www.guslozada.com

Comment

WTF WAS THAT AT 3:15?!?! Seriously, did someone mic a frog then stomp the hell out of it??
                                Great transactions here and over at TGP!

Comment

Working...
                                X