Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We Are The World" - 25 Years Later

I was watching this today.

I
    www.guslozada.com

At the beginning I was "that girl/dude sounds Auto-tuned"...

Gus, you don't know who Justin Bieber is??? You don't subscribe to Tiger Beat?!?!?

Pah.
    The new blog: http://synonymmusic.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Walters9515
    yes he is SIG:

[...]where is where but where could where be because where is he to where ,where

I know u have a full blow studio where and haven't ever heard what a envelope follower is or have never used one in your life beside with a Quack which u are quacking like a rubber ducky in a tub

Comment

The sad thing is, this record was meant to raise lots of money for Haiti. I hope it does, but I think it will fall far, far short of expectations, because:

1) The "older" crowd who prefers the original simply do not like the new version and will thus not bother to buy/legally download the single.

2) The younger crowd, too young to remember the original, does like the new version, but will not buy/legally download the single because they are culturally accustomed to downloading/ripping music illegally.

Thus...very little money will be raised for this song.

They should have just written a totally new song for the cause.
      It would stand and be judged on its own merit. It would, for better or worse, be an anthem for the 2010s. But at least it would be a unique product. Maybe auto-tune and a rap section would have sounded good on that one, if only because it's not being compared to an original version. But original ideas are rare and unappreciated in the era of licensed commercial music, Glee, American Idol and old hits revived as video games. Sad, very, very sad.
      Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

It would stand and be judged on its own merit. It would, for better or worse, be an anthem for the 2010s. But at least it would be a unique product. Maybe auto-tune and a rap section would have sounded good on that one, if only because it's not being compared to an original version. But original ideas are rare and unappreciated in the era of licensed commercial music, Glee, American Idol and old hits revived as video games. Sad, very, very sad.

True, indeed.

So, did you like it?
        www.guslozada.com

Comment

I like the Smurf version of that song better.

Comment

I thought it was terrible.
            www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

The 2-3 people in the beginning are autotuned too much, makes me wanna puke

I liked:

Pink...
              MJ - OK, now I can clearly see how he became famous in this mess
              Celine Dion - Wow, that was AWESOME
              Rapping - Decent, I think it really lightened it up and gave some energy

Bad stuff: everything
              Even worse: Akon; that rapper dude... what's his name Wayne something (both autotune crap), Santana and Orianthi playing 3 note (what uup), T-Pain's boring autotune to death...
              What's up you niggardly sons of bitches?
              I wanna hit someone

Comment

It cracked me up when Jamie Foxx was doing his Ray Charles impersonation !!!!
                I wonder why Ann & Nancy Wilson even showed up if they weren't going to be on camera, I see them standing in the back ???

Russ
                Nashville
                "In Order To Predict The Future .... Create It"

Comment

Yeah that was mostly pretty awful. But you can't hate on Wycelf.. that's his vocal style and he has done a ****************LOAD for Haiti, way before the disaster struck. He had some real insightful to **************** to say when I was fortunate enough to meet him this summer.. put a lot of things in perspective

Comment

Aw, it's pretty nice. I personally dislike Rap, but I think even the rap interlude of this piece is tasteful and in keeping with the mood of the record.

I'm glad they let some old-timers--- Streisand, Tony Bennett, Gladys Knight, Brian Wilson--- in on the act. I must be really out of the loop, for I don't recognize most of these kiddos at all.

Notice that they're autotuning Celine Dion.... an artist who, more than anyone else here, absolutely does not need it. That they've autotuned her is proof that the lay listening public just digs the sound of autotune as a cool, modern, sci-fi effect in itself.

Wyclef Jean is doing that extreme vibrato thing he does; to my ear, that is a Jamaican reggae thing he appropriated from Bob Marley himself. ( cf. "Crazy Baldhead")

(For the record, I notice that Joni Mitchell, in some of her recent stuff, has also adopted that particular reggae warbled affectation. I think it's supposed to brand the singer as being very "third world aware", no?)

Guys, I've been to Haiti many, many times--- at least 75 times or so--- and I'm here to tell ya (I won't mince words) that that place is a decrepit armpit AT THE BEST OF TIMES. I can't imagine what it's like after an earthquake... at LEAST as bad as Katrina New Orleans, if not much worse.
                    Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I'm not going to comment on these fests except to note that the frequent charges of blatant-self-promotion and overweening self-interest directed at the personalities involved are sometimes somewhat mitigated by generating extra attention to the cause supposedly at the heart of their concerns.

But I will say that if people want to really help out, the most efficient and direct way to help is to make financial contributions to well-rated, responsible charitable concerns like the Red Cross, Save the Children, Doctors Without Borders, and such.

I'd be much less jaded if there was a lot more transparency to some of these showbiz "benefits."

music and social stuff

Comment

Aw, it's pretty nice. I personally dislike Rap, but I think even the rap interlude of this piece is tasteful and in keeping with the mood of the record.

I thought it was actually a good idea, but I didn't care so much for the execution. But it was sort of a "kicker" at the end, a really good idea.

Guys, I've been to Haiti many, many times--- at least 75 times or so--- and I'm here to tell ya (I won't mince words) that that place is a decrepit armpit AT THE BEST OF TIMES. I can't imagine what it's like after an earthquake... at LEAST as bad as Katrina New Orleans, if not much worse.

It's gotta be even worse in general because there's so little infrastructure there. Why have you been there 75 times? Were you helping out with an NGO or something else?
                        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Celine Dion must be stopped. Thats all I have to say.

Comment

Am I the only one here who thinks the original sucked too?
                            Being right all the time is kind of boring.

Comment

Am I the only one here who thinks the original sucked too?

It wasn't my thing either, so no. I liked the song "Do They Know It's Christmas" (Bob Geldof and Midge Ure) or whatever it was called more, if a bit dubious about the title.
                              Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Working...
                              X