What do you think of this single?

siva115

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This just got distributed to iTunes after an arduous several year process of bedroom performance and mastering.

The style is ambient/blues.. if you like it buy it.. if you don't like it, buy it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sublimation/id353432107

Heh... So you created an account here just to try to push a blues song that took you several years of paying your dues in the bedroom to finish... :facepalm:

Methinks you're taking the wrong approach, especially here.

:cop:

• Members

Sounds like the "bedroom performance" involved lots of vaseline and tissue paper. {censored} off, spam boy.

If you think this is anything less then genuine, you are SERIOUSLY mistaken.

Obviously if you had taken 30 seconds to listen to the preview you would know that. I'm graduating with a BS in music and was featured in Guitar Player Magazine when I was 20. I busted my ass on this single and I did it by myself, with my own equipment, in my own {censored}ty apartment.

I guess it's a dick move to promote myself as my first post.. oh wait.. no it's not. It's human nature. I put my love into this, and I thoroughly believe it is mutually beneficial for you to listen.

If you don't want to that's fine; keep living in the dark.

• Members

Let me be absolutely clear to you: we all have music. I got my bachelor's in music in 1992. Where's your comment on my music? How dare you walk in here and expect people to drool over you when you've contributed nothing to this community? This exemplifies a typical problem of immaturity, in that you have expectations of everyone that you're unwilling to give back yourself.

So tell ya what: listen to a bunch of other forum members' music. Many of us have been round here for years and years, being supportive and offering constructive criticism of each other's stuff. At that point, I might consider it worthwhile to click your link. I seriously doubt you have the commitment to actually follow up on that challenge, so I doubt I'll ever have to actually listen to your {censored}.

And welcome to the forum! Have a nice day.

• Members

I listened to the preview, not enough data to form a full opinion.

What exactly IS ambient blues? Didn't hear/ feel any blues!

:cop::facepalm:

I don't have Itunes so I listened to it on myspace.

No blues, no soul, no hooks present in this performance.

There certainly were a bunch of notes in the solo section though.

Not sure what the point of the composition is.

So I'm not buying.

• Members

If you think this is anything less then genuine, you are SERIOUSLY mistaken.

Obviously if you had taken 30 seconds to listen to the preview you would know that. I'm graduating with a BS in music and was featured in Guitar Player Magazine when I was 20. I busted my ass on this single and I did it by myself, with my own equipment, in my own {censored}ty apartment.

I guess it's a dick move to promote myself as my first post.. oh wait.. no it's not. It's human nature. I put my love into this, and I thoroughly believe it is mutually beneficial for you to listen.

If you don't want to that's fine; keep living in the dark.

I haven't heard your tune, but let me give you a little heads up on guerrilla/viral marketing and online culture...

All the jackass marketing mavens put out of work by changes they didn't see coming are telling everyone to Go viral! with guerrilla marketing -- which, for most of them, seems to translate into making an ass of yourself by spamming people on discussion forums and with email and nagging people to "vote" in stupid on line "contests"...

What is natural is for someone who pours love and craft into their music -- as you probably have done -- to want someone to hear it. (Forget about making money, for the most part. Painful few without big marketing machines and budgets in back of them and fabricated but photogenic "talent" up front are.)

I participate in a songwriting forum elsewhere (actually the mod) -- and it's an on-topic, work-oriented forum where only works truly in progress are supposed to be posted, and that is so that the songwriters can get hopefully helpful, constructive criticism in order to refine their work.

But, drawn like moths to a flame, folks come into the forum, ignore the sticky thread that says, in all-caps, read this before posting, and post their promo videos and new album hype.

I'm certainly sympathetic. After all, this is what the marketing jackasses tell them to do.

But, as others have pointed out above, we all have music we'd like others to hear.

You've got a bachlor's degree. That's impressive... or not. I've been playing and writing almost 4 decades. Is that impressive? I didn't think so. ;)

Look... marketing yourself -- even with a promo budget -- is plenty tricky.

You only have a few moments to make a first impression and then that is gone and people have made up their minds. Now, they may go listen to your music if you annoy them enough, if only to slag it... if it's really good, they might even grudgingly admit it's good. But they ain't going to like you and will probably resent your music, good or not, if you tick them off.

EDIT: Oh geez... it's a link straight to the buy page on iTunes. :facepalm: Google and MySpace to the rescue.

Uncharitable part: Like others, I have no idea why anyone would think of this as blues. Or ambient, for that matter. Easy listening, maybe -- only with no real melody. I guess the resonant filter sweep business is what's supposed to make it ambient. Ah... here's some bendy lead. The blues part. And a section of guitar calisthenics. There are certainly some chops and craft, here, but nothing that, for me, is musically compelling. FWIW, I like "Sound and Light" a little more, despite the goopy chorus slurring the attack of the guitar. But nothing I'd write home about or DL, even if it was free.

Sympathetic part: OK... now you've taken your lumps from a bunch of folks who mostly can normally be quite forgiving and positive minded when you approach them the right way. Don't be discouraged. Don't give up. You've clearly got skill and talent. But you need to learn how to promote and market yourself without alienating folks and, musically speaking, I personally kind of think you're going to have to get over all that guitar edumucation that's been shoved into you... or maybe not so much get over it as get beyond it to where you're playing music, not chops.

Sincerely: good luck!

• Members

Call the spambulance!

It's competent background music perhaps. Tasteful. I've got a bedroom mate who would literally slaughter everyone in his hometown to reach your level. and he's much older than you. I myself wouldn't be too offended by it in a lift. But no need to be such a pusher about it.

how about joining in with others instead of soloing all the time? Because collaboration and co-operation are behind nearly all great music, and if you won't do those in your music or marketing, or even personality, then don't expect anyone to give a good cahoot, as Mavis Staples might say.

• Members

This just got distributed to iTunes after an arduous several year process of bedroom performance and mastering.

The style is ambient/blues.. if you like it buy it.. if you don't like it, buy it.

Hey there; Welcome. People usually post their music on the "Is your music any good" thread at the top of the page. Try putting it there and you may get a better response.

Good luck.

• Members

If you think this is anything less then genuine, you are SERIOUSLY mistaken. I'm graduating with a BS in music

I listened to it.

I didn't hear the slightest hint of blues...lots of "ambience", though.

Sorta like the Fuzak they play during "Local on the 8's" on the Weather Channel.

If that's what you were shooting for, then umm...good job, I guess.

You don't learn the blues in school, dude, unless it's the school of hard knocks.

But this is obviously lost on you, seeing how you describe your music as ambient blues, yet there is not a trace of blues in the song.

You want to hear some blues? - listen to the clip in my sig line.

• Members

You guys are funny. There was no clear 1-4-5 progression so it's not blues.

No soul obviously either, because of my guerrilla marketing and my young foolishness.

Listen up, I may have made the false assumption that people are more concerned with music then with forum seniority. If you don't like the preview buy it, if you like it, go ahead and buy it-- in either case I've taken nothing away from the forum regulars.

As you were.

Archived