X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, that's not what made me comment....

Tell you what, why don't you stick up for the shoe spammers next time and then we'll talk, 'kay?

this is a music oriented site right?... not a 'Foot Locker' medium.
    Music 'talky' good... shoe 'talky' Malo.

Sorry If I offended you 'Queen Bee'...take a pill and call me in the morning...then we'll talk, 'kay?
    In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One-eyed Man is King.

Comment

What do you think of this Pringle?

I actually chatted with the OP a bit. He seems a nice enough young guy. Operative word being "young", which gets you forgiven a lot more easily than a guy my or Ken's or Lukenskywalker's age would be under similar circumstances.

so, all those things about 'vaseline and tissues' are now moot?: I'm cool with that... peace, love,...why don't we have a Sammy Sosa heart punch /lip kiss emoticon?
      Zak, I'm at a loss about the Pringle thing...'splain' , por favor, to me.

Comment

Zak, I'm at a loss about the Pringle thing...'splain' , por favor, to me.

Just look up at the thread title there, Lukey Boy!
        Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

Just look up at the thread title there, Lukey Boy!

ah,the fog has lifted.
          Oh, BTW, love when you call me Lukey Boy...

Comment

I've noticed people also compare a lot of great Jazz to elevator music.. usually non-musicians.

Thanks for taking the time to listen Philter.

I think that all depends on what one considers great jazz.

I think the problem here is that successful internet forums do develop local culture -- and that is a necessary process -- or they will die and/or become dumping grounds for spam.

You may have seen the recent news item on an analysis that showed that well over 90% of the "user content" on the web is spam and malware. Spam is like kudzu vines. It will take over if the locals don't keep it at bay. And it will choke off all other life eventually.

A successful forum develops a community that has sets of overlapping interests -- but typically no one is there just to be a receiver of someone else's self-promotion.

And, typically, forums that are open to or cater to self-promotion quickly turn into forums filled with threads with one original post and no responses... save the occasional You rock, dude! Now click here to listen to...

‚Äč
            music and social stuff

Comment

I think that all depends on what one considers great jazz.

I think the problem here is that successful internet forums do develop local culture -- and that is a necessary process -- or they will die and/or become dumping grounds for spam.

You may have seen the recent news item on an analysis that showed that well over 90% of the "user content" on the web is spam and malware. Spam is like kudzu vines. It will take over if the locals don't keep it at bay. And it will choke off all other life eventually.

A successful forum develops a community that has sets of overlapping interests -- but typically no one is there just to be a receiver of someone else's self-promotion.

And, typically, forums that are open to or cater to self-promotion quickly turn into forums filled with threads with one original post and no responses... save the occasional You rock, dude! Now click here to listen to...

nice.

Comment

this is a music oriented site right?... not a 'Foot Locker' medium.
                Music 'talky' good... shoe 'talky' Malo.

Musicians gotta have kicks, right?
                Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

IMO...opening guitar groove is catchy...but I find it difficult to believe that's all you came up with after years of production in your bedroom...

Years of 'production' in my bedroom resulted in a beautiful daughter and two commercially successful songs.

So, not to lose focus, my Plebian suggestion to you would be take the musical blinders off...lose the ego.... and as they say in Pre-school Idiom,...'learn to play well with others'

This first point I actually think is valid. My roommate said to me is "it's so weird for me to listen to this song as the one you release, when you play original music 10x better on a daily basis."

I wrote this song probably 3 years ago. I produced it with about $300 worth of equipment and no audio training.. so from a composition standpoint this is a primitive work. I put a lot into the drum sequences and ensuring that the parts came through correctly.

That said, I still stand by the performance and I love the song for what it is. Just because I can (and do) write more compositionally intricate pieces doesn't mean I should (all the time).

Comment

That said, I still stand by the performance and I love the song for what it is. Just because I can (and do) write more compositionally intricate pieces doesn't mean I should (all the time).

Well, that's all well and good.
                    But tossing something like that song out as your "debut" to the world would (and did) leave most people saying "wtf"?
                    Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

Quelle dick.
                      Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Well, that's all well and good.
                        But tossing something like that song out as your "debut" to the world would (and did) leave most people saying "wtf"?

Just curious, did you listen to the whole song?

Comment

Just curious, did you listen to the whole song?

Yes I did, hence the "Weather Channel" comparison.

Everything about it was kind of monotonous...from the progression to the wanky bits on the end.
                          There was no dynamic to any of it...it was completely monolithic.

Another board on HC, that I hang out on, gets "check out my band/song" posts all the time.
                          Much of the stuff is pretty bad, but when something really good comes along, you'll find that the kudos are plentiful.

(edit: A couple of weeks ago, a complete noob offered up his band's music on Backstage With the Band - it was some of the most awesome progressive rock I've heard in years...most of us that listened now own either this guy's physical CD or album download, it was that good.)

The resum
                          Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

That big "IS YOUR MUSIC ANY GOOD" thread stickied at the top of the topic list is hard to handle, huh?

no one ever seems to read/comment on that one oke:
                            weebz wrote:God appeared to me in a dream and said "Thou shalt post on Guitar Jam"

Comment

I just wrote a long post, but it got eaten by the internet

Anyway, it's a tough crowd, but so are labels, booking agents, clubs, etc. It is considered gauche to come into a forum and immediately start self-promoting, regardless of your intentions. There are thousands of people who say "listen to my music," and you haven'tmdifferentiated yourself from them.

For example, suppose you had come into the forum for the first time and said "I came up wih a bunch of synth patches for a song I wrote, and thought I'd share them. They're attached to this post in a zip file. If you want to hear them in action, check out the song as www.lala[whatever].com. I hope you enjoy the patches and the music, and if you have comments on either, I'm all ears."

See? You start off by contributing something, and asking nothing in return. I bet you would have gotten a lot more people interested in your music with that kind of tactic.

Anyway, I did listen to the entire tune. Up to 2:50 is sounded like a rhythm track waiting for something to happen. At 2:50 I got hopeful when the guitar kicked in - I liked the tone and the bending. But before it could actually get emotional, it de-evolved into a flurry of notes - not John Coltrane "sheets of sound" flurries, but "warming up fingers before gig" flurries. So the bottom line is, I wouldn't listen to it again because I got no emotional impact from it.
                              There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

What do you think of this Pringle?

I actually chatted with the OP a bit. He seems a nice enough young guy. Operative word being "young", which gets you forgiven a lot more easily than a guy my or Ken's or Lukenskywalker's age would be under similar circumstances.

I`m glad you didn`t include my name in that motley crew...

Comment

Working...
                                X