I'm toying with a jam session idea.

• Members

Rather than me jamming in a public place, perhaps I should call a jam at this house. This would also be good for video taping as I have 8 tracks of digital audio at 24/96 and several cameras. Then , during the editing session, each player could be in the studio to pick the best camera angle , his/her favorite part of the jam , and their mix to highlight their performance. Everyone would get a copy of their finished product to post on their website or their youtube page. The sound and video quality of this production should be several notches above anything (even done by well known artists) recorded in clubs with single camcorders and posted up on youtube. Let's raise the bar for youtube productions!

Of course, these will serve as great promotional videos!

Dan

• Members

I like the idea!

Crowd-sourcing videois something that's increasingly easy to do and modern audiences are well-braced for a jumble of formats and image qualities (thanks to the post-post-modern efforts of guys like Ollie Stone and others).

I had some pals who decided to do a band video that way back in the 90s. They invited basically everybody they could think of video cam (11 cams) and did a show, which they recorded themselves to DAT with at least one (I kind of think two) static cams set up and recording, and then everyone else shooting at their own discretion.

The concept was then to edit it all together. (Sadly, it was during a brief period when they were experimenting with the addition of a female co-lead singer, which ended up dissolving soon after, removing a large part of the impetus for finishing up what proved to be a rather involved editing process.)

But their heads were in the right place, anyhow...

• Members

Wow, what a mental idea!

This could be awesome, i'd definitely be up for watching it.

Try and invite some college girls along, dunno why but just seems like a good idea, also lots of alchohol.

:lol::lol:

• Members

Actually Detroit is north of me, believe it or not, about 1.5 miles away!

So I was thinking more about this while I was practicing. Sometimes in production (and on stage) everyone is fighting for the limelight , to be the top kahuna. These fights can escalate into smashing up gear, screaming etc. However , in the above scenario each musician who participates will get THEIR video the way they want it. I'm thinking of this as a 4-5 musician type thing. I have 3 other musicians that I can depend on. If this works well , I may open it up to the general public.

The other key thing is that there are no commitments required. You're not part of this band. Each individual is jamming for their own promotion. The only commitment is that the jam continues until ALL participants perform each their own 1-10 minute stellar performance and hopefully technology will cooperate at the same time!

The main purpose is to promote your own musical ability in the context of a band.

Dan

• 3 months later...

Archived