What's the next big thing?

• Members

The internet's getting boring. :bor:

;)

What the next big thing on the web? Where do you see the internet going now that we have reached a point of defacto standards like facebook, youtube, google, wiki, and all the rest...

Where's it all going? Will the net eventually replace the TV? Will Google store all my files? What other possibilities are we safe to expect?

• Members

The internet's getting boring.
:bor:

;)

What the next big thing on the web? Where do you see the internet going now that we have reached a point of defacto standards like facebook, youtube, google, wiki, and all the rest...

Where's it all going? Will the net eventually replace the TV? Will Google store all my files? What other possibilities are we safe to expect?

Haven't you heard???? The internet is dead. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2010/jul/08/prince-internet-dead-itunes

• Members

What the next big thing on the web?

Me.

Where do you see the internet going now that we have reached a point of defacto standards like facebook, youtube, google, wiki, and all the rest...

More of the same.

Will the net eventually replace the TV?

"Will?"

Will Google store all my files?

They'd like to.

What other possibilities are we safe to expect?

Why are you asking me? I know nossing.

• Members

The Human PC implant.

Think of the savings

No hardware

No cards in the wallet

No identity theft

No cell phones

Way more efficient

Big brother-who cares-he's watching now

Now all you have to do is discover who is going to do it and buy those shares.

• CMS Author

Usenet newsgroups will come back. Just text, no graphics. The only people who will have access are college professors and high grade government and military employees. We'll discuss things peacefully, we'll publish our findings, and we'll all learn from each other. You'll know when someone is your "friend" and won't need a web site for that.

• Members

The internet's getting boring.
:bor:

;)

The net already replaced TV for my family. We replaced our TV with a PC with a 30" LCD. We watch a lot of stuff on Netflix. When we have parties a lot of time people end up on the couch swapping weird youtube videos they know of. It's nice to pause your movie, check the weather report, check your email, look at the recipe for dinner, and then go back to the movie without moving. Of course your whole music collection is there at your fingertips as well. The hardest part is figuring out where to put the mouse.

• Members

For gawsh sake, when on earth did it become even remotely acceptable to have a TV on at a party?

That is the ultimate party killer.

I love YouTube but I can't think of too much more pathetic (I feel I should add a no offense in here ;) ) than people at a party sitting around watching YouTube videos.

Parties are for interacting with other humans... for partying. For making emotional and intellectual connections. For finding out what gives with other people.

I saw it start in the late 70s when some hipsters would have early VCRs filled with promo videos (pre MTV, of course) and then it really accelerated with MTV.

Happily, I hung in a crowd that barely had a set or two between them. (Although some of the ones who survived have BSTV's now, it must be noted.)

I have to say, we really knew how to throw a party back then. None of my younger, putatively hip friends from the 80s or 90s could throw a party to save their lives. They knew all the right hipster moves, all the right movies, books, cult musicians. But they could not throw a party. God love 'em.

• Members

For gawsh sake, when on earth did it become even remotely acceptable to have a TV on at a party?

I love YouTube but I can't think of too much more pathetic (I feel I should add a
no offense
in here
;)
) than people at a party sitting around watching YouTube videos.

Parties are for interacting with other humans... for
partying
. For making emotional and intellectual connections. For finding out what gives with other people.

I saw it start in the late 70s when some hipsters would have early VCRs filled with promo videos (pre MTV, of course) and then it really accelerated with MTV.

Happily, I hung in a crowd that barely had a set or two between them. (Although some of the ones who survived have BSTV's now, it must be noted.)

I have to say, we
really
knew how to throw a party back then. None of my younger, putatively hip friends from the 80s or 90s could throw a party to save their lives. They knew all the right hipster moves, all the right movies, books, cult musicians. But they
could not
throw a party. God love 'em.

Let me just quote this before he edits half of it. This is hilarious. The hipster's today don't know jack, so give those kids you hung with a break. :)

• Members

My two cents:

1) the operating systems will be online....so the user computer can be minimal (phone, net book or smaller) and still act like a full sized computer

2) "printing" objects...in the future we will print not only docs and pics, but create objects.... so we'll buy a TV and print it out on a special "electronics" printer.... no transportation etc.

3) total "1984" type tracking and customization of our preferences, location etc.

4) superb voice recognition....no more tiny keyboards...we talk and it is "perfectly" translated to text

• Members

It's not a TV blue! It's a computer, and the social rules for that are not the same.

I've never been someone who gravitated towards TV (grew up without it till I was 13.) But I've had lots of great social experiences that involved computers, including talking to people on the internet on forums like this.

• Members

Life is built from circles not lines. When you look at the big picture you see that almost every process is circular in nature. But for some reason when we try to envision the future we always think linear. In reality things tend to go in circles. Well the web is actually starting to be what we expected it to be in 2000 and the next thing will be the old thing. So for the question "what's next?"

Probably actually getting back to work :poke:

• Members

Right now, most videos online play in those 800 x 600 boxes... YouTube-style. You can click them Fullscreen, but they still tend to look blocky/mosaiced. Audio is always dodgy... sometimes OK but often, not.

The next big thing is the abandoning of that smaller format... in favor of streaming video which just naturally takes up the whole browser, looks fantastically smooth, Hi Def, and plays smoothly, with superb stereo audio.

At some point, I think all the better websites will be video-driven, and will not just "sit still". The "still website" will seem tired and passe' before long... You type a URL, it loads, and immediately you've got a website constructed entirely out of video.... and snippets of video.... no static regions whatsoever... even button-links will be video snippets... video clips will be in every kind of organic shape, not just rectangular. We may well see the abandonment of traditional "chrome" underneath videos (you know, those Stop, Pause, Play, Rewind, FF symbols?). Navigation of websites, instead of becoming more standardized (as many pundits have hoped), will become much more freeform, wacky, wild and intuitive in witty, unpredictable ways.

FLASH kinda-sorta approaches this.... but I think straight-ahead, fullest quality video has to be the future of browser animation...

Also, the Next Big Thing has to be the wholesale abandonment of the 4:3 screen when observing ANY online website... Soon all websites will be perforce executed and displayed in Widescreen... The relationship of "TV versus Movies versus Webpage" forever blurred...

Right now, I'm typing this on my Alienware Aurora... It's incredibly fast... literally about as fast as human thought: you execute any command... and it just happens, immediately, like an eyeblink, and without fanfare or hiccups. This also will be the wave of the future, and no-one--- not even our ageing parents---- will be content with a molasses-slow computer experience... (My dear Mom is still on 56K dialup... can you believe it? My heart breaks for her when I have to go use her home computer... It could drive the sanest of men mad.)

Lastly? SMELL-O-VISION.

(just joking on that last bit)

• Members

The next big thing is the abandoning of that smaller format... in favor of streaming video
which just naturally takes up the whole browser
, looks fantastically smooth, Hi Def, and plays smoothly, with superb stereo audio.

We have that now - It's called ABC I-View.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/

I'm not sure you can access it from outside Australia - It has all the past programs shown on ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) The videos open full screen in your browser in 16:9 wide screen HD Full stereo sound and stream perfectly.

• Members

At some point, I think all the better websites will be video-driven, and will not just "sit still". The "still website" will seem tired and passe' before long... You type a URL, it loads, and immediately you've got
a website constructed entirely out of video
.... and snippets of video.... no static regions whatsoever... even button-links will be video snippets...

Oh man, that would drive me insane. I absolutely hate video or audio content that automatically plays. Hate it with a passion unkindled. Media-rich sites are fine, as long as I choose what media I want to see/hear.

• Members

It's not a TV blue! It's a computer, and the social rules for that are not the same.

I've never been someone who gravitated towards TV (grew up without it till I was 13.) But I've had lots of great social experiences that involved computers, including talking to people on the internet on forums like this.

Dude, I live online. Mostly. I got my first modem in '87 or so (dial-ups ruled the online world in those days, Compuserve, and locals -- since long distance phone service was still expensive). I've been online on an ongoing basis ever since.

But, you know, that just makes the 3DW human contact all the more critical.

I love You Tube but, let's face it, there's not much difference between sitting at a party watching someone channel surfing on cable TV and watching the same guy jumping from vid to vid on YT.

• Members

Life is built from circles not lines. When you look at the big picture you see that almost every process is circular in nature. But for some reason when we try to envision the future we always think linear. In reality things tend to go in circles. Well the web is actually starting to be what we expected it to be in 2000 and the next thing will be the old thing. So for the question "what's next?"

Probably actually getting back to work :poke:

You've got a point. People thinking linearily (as we used to try to say in the 60s) are thinking in one dimension.

You're thinking two dimensionally.

If you bust out to just three you at least get a spiral. It's all metaphoric, of course, but if one thinks of a circle as implying a time dimension and cyclality, then moving to a 3 dimensional model at least allows for an acknowledgment that that cyclality does not -- ever -- lead back to exactly the same place.

Archived