My absolute favorite new song

• Members

Nice to see that neo-soul retro-R&B thing getting around...

Definitely
NSFW.

;)

I'll bet it wasn't out 15 minutes before someone had segued to or from Nilsson's "You Tearing Me Apart" -- to which it clearly owed a deep spiritual debt.

Yea lefsetz made the connection almost immediately.

• Members

Best,

Geoff

So, a long, long time ago we cruised on up to Santa Cruz to visit some friends, rolled in pretty late at night and were sitting around catching up and having a brew or two when that tune come on the radio. Yep, the radio, KFAT, the wide spot on the dial.

• Members

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

If the song wasn't called "{censored} You"

it would be just another very average

RnB song that disappeared without a trace.

It's a gimmick song.

Definitely not the future of recording imho.

I'll take the grid over this crap, any day of the week

• Members

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Apparently not. :)

The "fuss" is that there's an entire generation of kids who have never heard music that wasn't made from samples, autotuned, gridified, and was based on solid musical performances and melodies.

With 1.4 million views of this song in four days on YouTube, it's obviously striking a nerve beyond just the silly profanity. Songs like this are much like "Smells Like Teen Spirit". They can be a complete game changer.

• Members

I think the "{censored} you" part is besides the point. Sure, that makes it funny, but the song is quite good, and the vocals are really good. Personally, while I thoroughly enjoy the song, I think it could be edited a little shorter, but that could be my ADHD showing.

• Members

Personally, while I thoroughly enjoy the song, I think it could be edited a little shorter, but that could be my ADHD showing.

It's 3:46, which actually is a bit long for a pop tune! But it's only two verses, three choruses, and a bridge, so it work for me. My ass is still grooving in my chair from start to finish. :D

• Members

The "fuss" is that there's an entire generation of kids who have never heard music that wasn't made from samples, autotuned, gridified, and was based on solid musical performances and melodies.

I used to think this, but from what I've seen, it's really not true. The web has make it extremely easy for the younger set to enjoy the classics of old and I've come across an 11 year old on YouTube ranting about how music today sucks and Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow is the best thing he's ever heard.

And he's not the only one. Start surfing the classics on YouTube and read the comments. The kids today know what's good. At least the ones who seem to have any taste in music.

Not trying to bust your chops, Jeff, but I had the same attitude, but I actually don't think this way anymore. Because too many teenagers and kids from the last couple generations have proven me wrong.

I have a blog on tumblr and I follow over a thousand people's blogs on there. Most of them are younger and the majority seem to agree music sucks these days and they all listen to old school stuff.

It actually gives me hope. :)

• Members

Personally, while I thoroughly enjoy the song, I think it could be edited a little shorter, but that could be my ADHD showing.

It was way better back in the day when the average radio song was 2.5 minutes. So, a great song always left you wanting more. One of the biggest things that drove me away from radio pop was the ever increasing song lengths.

And typically the last minute isn't adding anything. It's just repeating {censored} over and over until you're annoyed.

Sure, if you are playing technical thrash or some kind of jazz/funk/soul, yeah feel free to jam for ten minutes, otherwise keep it short and sweet. :)

To quote somebody who knows: "I like short songs!"

[YOUTUBE]Fj1lpr5Ypvw[/YOUTUBE]

Archived