What was your first multi-track recorder?

Anderton

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I chose "Bouncing between two-track machines" because that's how I started, but the first true multitrack I owned was the original TEAC (Tascam) 144 Portastudio. It was not the first thing I used, but the first I owned for home studio use. :) It didn't even have a jack for a footswitch, so I drilled a hole in it and added one by tapping into the transport switches and running wire to the back. It was a lot of fun, and really started the creative juices flowing like never before.

• CMS Author

"Bouncing between two two-track machines" isn't really a multitrack recorder. But I bounced between two mono machines before I had a stereo recorder, and I had a Sony that could do "sound on sound" bouncing between one track and the other. The first multitrack recorder that I worked with was a 3M M79. The first one that I owned was a TASCAM 80-8.

• Members

1) Tascam Portastudio (1994)

2) Akai DR8 HD recorder with Mackie 1604 (1995)

3) Mackie above replaced by Yamaha pro mix01 digital mixer.(1996)

4) Yamaha AW4416 all in one workstation (2001?)

5) ITB Cubase 5, presonus IF, UAD2 (2009)

Quite a ride over 15+ years.

At this point, with my few good mics and pres, I only have my ears and imagination to blame if I'm not producing material that is sonically competitive / viable.

I think that's exciting.

• Members

I had a Fostex X-28 and it was a pile of crap. Since I'd never had one before it took me a while to determine that there was actually something wrong with channel four. Fostex was real good about sending me some parts and I got it fixed (I believe it was a bad diode) but then not long after something else went wrong and I can't remember what it was now.

The second time I sent it to Fostex for repairs. When it returned it worked for a couple more weeks and then all the indicators on it blanked out and went dead. I was pretty feed up with it by then and was itching to get a computer. It was '91 and I bought a 386DX computer and a copy of Master Trax. My first computer MIDI interface board was a Radio Electronics magazine project I built.

For a little while during the time I used the Fostex unit, and before getting the computer, I had a hardware MIDI sequencer.

• Members

At this point, with my few good mics and pres, I only have my ears and imagination to blame if I'm not producing material that is sonically competitive / viable.

I think that's exciting.

Indeed. :)

• Members

Tascam Porta One Ministudio, which I soon sold and got the Porta Two.

But actually...before then, in the early 80s, I would use the input on my Technics cassette deck and would record something to tape. I would then take that tape, and put in a Walkman which had a y-connector that would go from the Walkman's output, and the output on a powered mixer (which could have anything from synths to vocals, to drums and guitars patched in), back into the recorder which had a new blank tape in it.

I could then take that tape, put it in the Walkman, and overdub some more, et cetera.

It got noisy after a few tape swaps, but my music friends thought it was pure genius.

• Members

The first bit of recording related gear I bought was a 4 into 1 mini mixer, so I could bounce between a pair of cassette players. The next week, I went and bought a second one, so I could do stereo properly.

• Members

First was the Tascam Porta One cassette multi-track machine.

Second, the Akai MG1214, which I still have and use to make transfers for clients.

Third was SAW+ on a PC.

Since then has been Pro Tools LE, starting with PT LE 5.1, which I used for nine years, and now, PT LE 8.

• Members

I guess my first experience with recording was on my old Ampex consumer machine that had mic/line mixing and sound on/with sound capabilities. I could bounce from one track to the other while adding another signal. After about 5-7 generations it got very noisy. It was one of these guys without the reverse mode:

original.jpg

I didn't play any instruments, but did a lot of experimenting with friends who did. This was before the 3340 came out.

• Members

I think that's exciting.

:thu: Completely agree. This is a fun thread... heres my setup throughout the years...

1991: Tascam 424

1993: Tascam 424, Voyetra Sequencer Plus, Tascam 1516 (noisiest board ever!!!)

1996: ADATs, Tascam 1516, Voyetra Seq Plus

1998: ADATs, Mackie d8b

2000: ADATs, Purchase my first Apple (G4), Digital Performer... no turning back

2002: Last recordings on ADAT (brief 6 years of use)

2005: Sell Mackie d8b, go completely ITB, start using REASON

2006: realize I need a smaller mixer for monitoring (purchase Mackie 1402 VLZ3)

My setup has been the same now since 2006... I doubt I`ll be changing it anytime soon.

• Members

I had a series of 4 track cassette recorders. First a Tascam Porta-One, then a Fostex 160 and then a Yamaha MT3X. I used to bounce tracks between the Tascam and the Fostex and later the Yamaha and the Fostex. I still have the Yamaha.

• Members

Another Teac 3340 the one with the stick shift. I used money I got as a graduation gift when I finished college and bought the 3340 and a Teac 2A mixer with meter bridge. I still have the 3340. I want to transfer some of my old tapes but many of them need baking.

Archived