I entered the Sweetwater mic locker giveaway...

the stranger

• Members

I think this is Jeff's subtle way of telling me I should spend less time blogging and more time making music.
;)

No, no. I just thought it was an interesting mind exercise. You said that if you had $30,000 in mics, you'd record something. Of course, the much more important question is, "What would I record?", and if you can answer that, you might find you can do it -- and do it well -- with or without $30,000 in mics. it's funny how thinking about having cool gear makes you think about what you could do with it, when you can probably do what you want today, with what you have.

I mean, I'd like those mics too. At the same time, my bigger challenge is writing some more music that's worth recording. If the music is good, I can probably do it with my current mic locker (which I assure you isn't worth $30,000, or possibly $1,000). :D

• Members

None the less, I still really need to get back into the flow. I've been on hiatus for way too long.

I seriously do need some better mics, though. Maybe not a $30k mic locker, but just about anything would be better than what I've used for the last 10 years.

I should be a spokesman for Crown, since I've used a PZM in almost every way imaginable. And that trusty old PZM and my pair of dynamic omnis is all I really have used for a long time. I have a pair of small diaphram condensors (AT) that I could use more, but the abrasive high end they produce is just too much for my taste.

It's funny, because back when I was using tape, you could never get enough crisp high end. And now with digital, it's the opposite.

I ended up using the pair of dynamic omnis for drum overheads once and never went back to the small diaphram condensors.

When I was spending a lot of time with my buddy at the radio station, I fell in love with the SM7. It's actually the one mic I'd like to have the most. And I must be in the stone ages, because to this day, I've still never owned a LDC. Which is really my own fault, since you can get one so cheap these days. I remember when you were gonna drop $600 just to get into the LDC game. And that was an entry level mic. Now they're a dime a dozen.

Back to your original idea though, I've been brushing up my guitar chops and have been wanting to get back into some instrumental guitar stuff. Yeah, I can get it done with what I have, but some new flavors would be nice.

I was stuck on the remix/mash/rap thing for a while, but I haven't been very inspired in that department lately and the longer I sit around not producing anything, the more it bugs me...

I'm almost tempted to try and start a band again. Being way deep in the sticks, there really isn't much of a network of people to jam with, but I haven't tried to get anything going for a while and maybe I might have better luck these days.

There still isn't any music scene here at all, but I'm thinking I could probably find more like minded people these days than I could ten years ago.

• Members

I'll tell you what I really need, the focus and drive that Jeff has. He's a dynamo that seemingly never quits and is always taking on a new project to add to the existing ones he already got going.

I tend to be much more sporadic in my output. I get gung-ho on something and then lose interest too quickly, because some other shiny object (figurative) catches my attention. :)

• Members

He's a dynamo that seemingly never quits and is always taking on a new project to add to the existing ones he already got going.

Ah, but for all the wrong reasons. Musically, I'm like an 8-year-old with ADHD. If I don't keep my interest level up by changing styles, trying new things, playing new places for new people and so on, I tend to slip into deep creative ruts.

But I hear ya: a bunch of new mic flavors would be inspirational in capturing cool, new stuff, assuming you have the stuff. :D

• Members

..."He's a dynamo that seemingly never quits .... is always taking on a new pro-jict ... Shaft ! (Jeff)

Just sorta reminded me of that song.

I dunno if I'd want to win that Sweetwater deal as it seems like it would generate one heckofa tax bill at the end of the year.

• Members

If I won the mic locker I'd have to sell off almost al the mics and buy me another place to live.

My trailer was torn down and all my stuff was either stolen or thrown away. so I have been homeless for three and a half years. being homeless sucks!

after liveing there for thirteen years it's a bummer not to have a place to call home.

yeah, I'd keep a couple of mics for recording and playing out but all the rest would go to the highest bidder. OR I'd ask bruce S. to help me sell 'em.

So I have been entering contests and such to get stuff I need and desire cause I'm broke, homeless and in need.

I wish to win a really nice A/E axe but haven't won a single thing yet.

I imagine dying broke, homeless and hopeless..

But I keep entering contests and picking up lottery tickets off the ground around the trash cans.

cause you never know...:wave:

Archived