Albums

Mark L

• Members

I still like to listen to some albums all at one sitting but mostly I listen to streaming music from various sources while I'm at the office.

In the good ole days of vinyl I used to like listening to albums. I'd put on my headphones and 'lose myself' for 50 minutes or so

These days it's just too easy to flip between songs. And I'm guilty of doing just that :(

• Members

I still listen to albums, but not in the vinyl sense of the word. I will often rip an entire CD to mp3 or wma format, then listen to it.

I used to work in data entry in the '90s, so I would often listen to an entire album at work with headphones. Because I did this so often, all day, every day, I find it more enjoyable to listen to several entire albums, rather than just a song here and there. It all depends, though. There are times, especially when I'm cramming for a gig, where I just fill up the mp3 player with gig-specific tunes, and listen to those over and over.

I do find myself listening to albums a lot less these days, but I don't think it's necessarily because of mp3s, Napster and the state of the music industry. I attribute it more to my age and changes in my lifestyle. I used to listen to music a lot at work and the job I have now doesn't really allow that. When I come home, I don't immediately grab a CD to listen to. I just watch some tv or go on the internet (and sometimes practice :lol:). But I still enjoy listening to them, even if they are in mp3 format while I'm going for a walk or something.

It's entirely possible that I'm in the minority with doing this. "Listen to an entire album?? What an idea!" :idea:

• Members

I still listen to albums, but not in the vinyl sense of the word. I will often rip an entire CD to mp3 or wma format, then listen to it.

I listen to many albums this way or with CDs, and tend not to listen to things in shuffle or randomly, although sometimes that can be a lot of fun as well.

• Moderators

I tend to listen front to back. I'm still listening to albums, yeah. Of course I might favor different songs and so a bit of skipping but, I tend to get a specific focus and dive into that. Artist, era, genre. Rubber Soul one day, Bach or Miles the next. XTC some other time. The Decemberists...

Albums for me.

• Members

Philosophically, a lot of us (especially those over 35, I'm sure) still enjoy and appreciate the art of the album. I was very particular about the sequencing of tracks on mine... keys, tempi, vibe all were considered carefully.

That having been said, most people really don't listen to albums anymore. It makes me sad, since the album is an art of its own. However, that doesn't mean it won't make a comeback, or that occasionally artists don't release something with a higher level of concept beyond a three-minute pop tune.

My vote: make albums and make them well, regardless of what others are doing and how people listen. You might capture someone's imagination based on immersing them in your stuff for longer than it takes to eat a ham sandwich. ALSO: it's easier to get reviews of albums than singles, and occasionally you might even sell an entire CD (remember those)?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I purchased 3 albums last week: Paula Coles Ithaca, the new Seal and the new Maroon 5 (which sounds pretty bad mastering wise). I really haven`t had the chance to sit down with the phones on and truly listen but will do. I still buy CDs and enjoy the process, as well as reading liner notes, check out the photos. I even listen to your record straight through Salty!

• Members

Do you bother?

I just tend to have my mp3 player on 'shuffle' these days
:o

I'm making one now and I still find it's the best medium to sell your music at shows. Beats downloadable cards by a 100 miles.

And another thing..F@#$ what anyone else thinks!! I do this for ME and If I want to make an album, I will!! :) Be an artist and do your art your way. :thu:

• Members

I listen to albums almost exclusively. I have a few reasons for this:

1. I like listening to albums beginning to end. I don't like hearing a song I'm familiar with that is followed by a song I'm not used to hearing after it. Like when Led Zeppelin II ended up in reverse order on my iPod. Bugged the hell out of me.

2. Most of the music I listen to is album-oriented. I rarely buy music from an artist if I don't like all or most of the album.

3. I don't buy MP3's, so that kind of cuts down on chances of getting just a song or two from an album.

• Members

I listen to albums almost exclusively. I have a few reasons for this:

1. I like listening to albums beginning to end. I don't like hearing a song I'm familiar with that is followed by a song I'm not used to hearing after it. Like when
Led Zeppelin II
ended up in reverse order on my iPod. Bugged the hell out of me.

2. Most of the music I listen to is album-oriented. I rarely buy music from an artist if I don't like all or most of the album.

3. I don't buy MP3's, so that kind of cuts down on chances of getting just a song or two from an album.

+1 on point #1... to me, some of my most precious musical memories are albums that take me on a journey. Screw around with the song order and it ruins my day. Think Joshua Dream...

• Members

My 33/45/78 collection is now in excess of 9,000. My R2R collection (which I started just this year) is over 300 tapes and growing. While roughly a third of my albums and tapes have been digitized (320kbs), I still prefer to listen to vinyl. Actually I prefer 7 1/2 ips R2R over Vinyl, but thats another debate. :) On another note with hard drives getting bigger and cheaper, I may have to redo all my conversions to .wav files. There's a few months spent !!!

• Members

For me, it depends on what I'm listening to, and/or what I'm doing. While I'm doing something like painting a room, I put my mp3 player on random and let it go, mainly so I don't get interrupted when something ends; but I enjoy hearing stuff I might not necessarily chose.

But there are albums that I just can't listen to one song without needing to hear the whole thing. The other day I had XM Deep Tracks on, they played a song from the Moody Blues "To Our Children's Children's Children". Had to put the album on; it just flows together like one composition. I don't like listening to just one track from that album any more than I'd listen to one movement from Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra". There are quite a few in my collection that hit me that way, I hear one song and have to put the whole thing on (and yes, on vinyl sometimes, too). There are others that I enjoy just as much, listening to a single track from an otherwise great album.

Really depends on the material.

Archived