Here's another wack-ass guitar tuning

Jeff da Weasel

• Members

DADFCE.

I'm writing a new tune in this, which strummed openly makes a lovely Dm9. But like any alt tuning, it's what you make of it. One of the nice things about this one is that you can do spectacular arpeggio runs of harmonics, which I find good for the tune I'm doing. Another nice thing is that you can use the drone of the "DAD" and simultaneously play some leads on the two high strings.

Anyway, there's your crazy tuning of the day, guitar slingers of SSS. :)

• Members

That's pretty interesting. Makes me think of a song I wrote back in the 80s that used em 9. I'm playing a lot of DADGAD these days so the bass 3 feel pretty natural -- but that just seems to set me up for more confusion as I move in between the 3 treble strings, particularly the 1 and 2, since, whether I'm playing in standard, open D, or DADGAD, the 2 highest strings keep their 4th relationship. No with this crazy tuning, though. ;)

You're right about the harmonics. That said, for me it always seems like it's too much or not enough in the harmonics department.

I love those guys who use harmonic chimes so naturally that you don't even notice that he's played them unless you think about it.

To me, one sign of flawless technique is when the listener -- especially the guitarist listener -- doesn't even think about it as he's listening the first time.

• Members

I love those guys who use harmonic chimes so naturally that you don't even notice that he's played them unless you think about it.

Ever listen to Antoine Dufour? The guy is positively sick. Have some anti-depressants nearby...

b1GZC0GQKOA

To me, one sign of flawless technique is when the listener
-- especially
the guitarist listener -- doesn't even think about it as he's listening the first time.

Agreed. :thu:

• CMS Author

DADFCE.

Jeff, you know those six little handles up at the little end of the guitar? When you change strings, you're not just supposed to turn them until they feel snug. ;)

Jody Stecher picked up his fretless banjo one day and started playing it however it happened to be tuned. The 1st string had broken and the other strings slipped. He worked out the tune for Snake Baked a Hoecake, then figured out that the banjo was tuned cGGA- Sometimes those tunings just come to you and you make them work.

• Members

DADFCE.

I'm writing a new tune in this, which strummed openly makes a lovely Dm9. But like any alt tuning, it's what you make of it. One of the nice things about this one is that you can do spectacular arpeggio runs of harmonics, which I find good for the tune I'm doing. Another nice thing is that you can use the drone of the "DAD" and simultaneously play some leads on the two high strings.

Anyway, there's your crazy tuning of the day, guitar slingers of SSS.
:)

Weez... luv open tunings, they have always made my life so much more complacent and agreeable.

When I think I have 'discovered' a new 'quick fix' there is always a Cat like you or one of my friends to burst my emerging bubble.

Thanks for keeping things in perspective.:thu:

I would like to pick your brain,...Can you give me any tips on stringing a Nylon stringed Classical guitar?

That bottom 'triple tie;' has always had me vexed..

Please 'splain' when you have a moment.

• Members

Nice. What do you spose the strings are tuned to ? I can't tell.

Not sure. I can tell you from listening that the basic open tuning is Bm9, and that the bottom string is tuned down to B.

My first guess is: B - F# - B - A - C# - F#, but I could be way wrong.

EDITED: Oops, maybe I should scroll down before answering posts. :D

• Members

A favorite of mine is DADAAD. Great for modal india-type music. And the unison notes done on the 2nd & 3rd string flam ever so slightly again each other... it can be pretty sweet if you 'bow' them with the fingerprints on the side of your picking thumb.

• Members

I've used something not far from that, philbo, DADDAD, for some of the same reasons... I do tend to fret the two same value D's differently, depending... you can get some interesting double stop movement that way or just fret one and get that droney thing against the other.

• Members

I've used something not far from that, philbo, DADDAD, for some of the same reasons... I do tend to fret the two same value D's differently, depending... you can get some interesting double stop movement that way or just fret one and get that droney thing against the other.

Do you go through a lot of G strings (the guitar kind), tuning it up 5 halfsteps?

oops. I meant 7 halfsteps (a fifth).... whatever...

• Members

Do you go through a lot of G strings (the guitar kind), tuning it up 5 halfsteps?

Nah, surely he tunes it down? Makes it pretty slack but it's not going to snap.

That's what I do when I'm doing my terrible Stephen Stills impressions anyway. What was the point me ever learning Suite Judy Blue Eyes, seeing as there's no way I'll ever be able to even sing one of the harmony parts properly? Still, all good fun I suppose! (Apart from for anyone listening to me)

• Members

Can you give me any tips on stringing a Nylon stringed Classical guitar?

Hey buddy, I saw this question...hope you don't mind me jumping in. Jeff too.

This guy shows it better than I could explain it with words alone. Keep clicking "more" to see the other pages.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/classical/ClassicStr/classicstr1.html

I have always had nylon guitars and to me, stringing them up is a PITA compared to steel strings......the extra wind dealio's up top to stop slippage. The bridge part I find easy. I mean, it's all easy....I am just not a fan of changing nylon strings. Steel I enjoy...relaxing

Then you really have to stretch them out, bend the crap out of them, retune, bend retune. Then you come back to the guitar next morning and everything is flat again.

You can always get ball end nylon strings. I tried a set. Ernire Ball maybe? They sounded like crap though, compared to Savarez or whatever.

Anyway, hope the link helps. I will be happy to help with guitar info, if I can and should Da Weasel be busy or what have you.

Archived