Hey Bruce ... you around ?

Bookumdano2

• Members

I'm doing a couple of really retro projects and am curious about your take on a few things circa your mindset in 1961-63.

On Betty Everett's Shoop Shoop track (which I think you did) , it seems I hear some instruments/vocal parts treated with stereo reverb and also some mono instruments seemingly with their own mono reverb printed on the signal itself. Did you ever/often track and print a mono reverb on a mono track like that back then? On some things I'm trying that way, it seems to really "date" the overall mix ... in a good way for that style.

Also, are there foot stomps on that record? I'm sensing there are during the main verses, but can't tell for sure. Did you often do tracks with the common footstomping of that time? How did you track or mic those & with how many stompers at a time? No kidding ... I think this is a lost art that footstomp samples don't cut.

Also, did you do any of the Lesley Gore stuff? Or was that Quincy and Ramone? I'm hearing a sort of similar great drum track on her tracks as well as your Betty Everett & Big Girls Don't Cry tracks and am trying to figure out if it is all overheads or what you may have been additionally micing on the original drums on those... or if you also know how Ramone was setting up his sessions for drums.

Archived