Just in case you were waiting for it - the 80's are back

veracohr

• Members

Since I know you were all waiting for the official return of 80's-style pop, here it is:

SW05tcG3Fgw

OK, honestly I know nothing of current pop music so it's entirely possible this isn't news at all, but I just came across this.

The video scares me, but I guess the music isn't bad for what it is.

• Members

The 80s have been back for a long time. How else could bands like Interpol and Bloc Party have any purchase in the culture? And isn't Katy Perry just sort of a Waitresses song turned into a persona?

So... is Robyn like Elmer Fudd's illegitimate love child or something? In addition to the Fudd-esque looks, she actually sings:

"Somebody said you've got a new fwend..."

This is very cosmic, because in 1980 my punk band (which eventually was called Machine Dog) was, for two weeks, the Wacky Wabbits.

Digging a little: looks like Robyn (born Robin Miriam Carlsson in 1979) is definitely on to the music of her infancy. Her album released this year actually seems to be titled Body Talk Pt 1. (What's really scary is there are about 20 albums by various artists with close variations on Body Talk as the title.)

She was apparently a child star in Sweden, writing themes for several TV shows when she was 11 or 12 in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn

• Members

Didn't Interpol START in the 80's?

Nah... they just sound like that. They're relative youngsters, starting in '97.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpol_%28band%29

I actually have enjoyed a fair amount of Interpol's earlier work but the last album I listened to was so thoroughly, grotesquely squashed that there simply was no volume level that it was listenable at. The 'mastering engineer' really screwed the record into the ground. I just can't imagine WTF the production team was thinking.

To me, Interpol is sort of what I probably wanted New Order to have been. (I loved Joy Division and wanted to love New Order. I wasn't really falling for their music before I went to see them their first time in Cali (where I saw them in Billy Barty's old disco roller rink, of all places) but I still really wanted to like them.

But it was like watching apathetic robots going through the motions... one of the most thoroughly disappointing, flat, lifeless, disaffected, uninvolving shows I can think of off the top of my head. There was nothing really wrong with it -- hell, it was mostly robots, some guitar, and some singing... but it was just so joyless. Pun possibly intended.

• Members

I LOVE 80s music, but this recent regurgitation of the old synthpop sound is extremely uninspired. Back in the '80s people were actually doing something original and cutting edge, pushing the limits of the technology they had at the time. They certainly aren't pushing the limits of the technology afforded them today.

Besides, this is my favorite Robyn song and video:

fdTucUya9YE

• Members

So it's about time for the 90s to be recycled as nostalgia I suppose.

Will guys all start singing like the Creed guy again now?:eek:

The nostalgia-cycle is pretty short these days. But then, Elvis Costello was co-opting Buddy Holly visual nostalgia vibes in 1976, a mere 17 years after Holly died.

So by that timescale, approx 1993 is up for recycling.....let's see, big names that year:

the Cranberries,

Depeche Mode,

Counting Crows,

Nirvana,

U2,

Bjork's Debut.....

nat whilk ii

• Members

So Lady Gaga didn't qualify?

Lady Gaga's music has a lot of retro '80s elements, yet is still modern enough to keep it from being a total retro rehash. If anything, the relatively-modern day trance music influence has been more prevalent in her music than the '80s stuff. Remember there were no supersaw waves back in the '80s, and the supersaw sound is what's all over "Pokerface," "Bad Romance" and "Paparazzi."

Archived