Anybody in Nashville?

Lee Flier

• Members

Hey folks,

I believe I've mentioned here that my band has of late been doing a bunch of gigs backing my friend Peter Case, whom I'd say is one of my all time favorite artists and certainly one of the most underrated. When you have people like Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen and Richard Thompson rating you as one of their favorite songwriters, I reckon you're pretty good. :lol: And Peter's also one of the most dynamic live performers you'll ever see - fantastic singer, guitar player, piano player, the complete package. Well, look him up on Google if you don't know who he is, because you seriously should.

But anyway, we're playing The Basement in Nashville Friday night with Peter, as part of the Americana Festival and Conference. So if you're in the area, c'mon out and see us! I think a few SSSers are there, anyhow. :wave:

• Members

If I was closer, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

BTW... not sure if Lee left this out intentionally, but Peter Case was the leader of a great power pop band back in the '80s, the Plimsouls. You may recall their big hit "A Million Miles Away". Anyway, the dude can definitely sing and play and (above all) write great songs. :thu:

• Members

Awesome Russ! Was hoping you were around. :)

I actually can neither send nor receive PMs here anymore (HC snafu). However, if you go to our web site in my sig, in the "contact" section, there's an email address for me there. I don't want to put it in a post for even more spammers to get hold of. :D

• Members

Had no idea the PM thing wasn't working. I went into your profile and didn't see anything amiss, but made a permissions change "just in case." I'm sending you a PM, let me know if it works.

If it does, then PM Dendy! He's in Nashville.

Excellent! Thanks Craig! :thu:

• Members

Gig went well! It was a shorter set than we've been used to playing, but we plowed on through.

Peter has a new album out called Wig! It's much more of a rock'n'roll album than anything he's done since the Plimsouls, and it's really great. So, the set's been featuring lots of stuff from that, as well as other stuff from his entire career. We've done Plimsouls and even Nerves songs.

Friday's set only had one Plimsouls song, "A Million Miles Away." The set went over great, in any event... everyone who was there was just beaming afterward, so that was nice. Peter really is one of those people who reminds you every time you see him why music is so important and how magical it can really be. :)

• Members

Any chance you will be hitting
the very Near Western Suburbs of a city with famously big shoulders
?
:)

Man... we really wish.

Trouble is, Peter can't afford to take us on the whole tour - just the southeast shows. He's doing that section of the tour solo. We're all pretty bummed out about that, but it's the way things are nowadays. :(

You should go see him anyway, though - you won't see a more compelling solo act, period. Unless you can find us a wealthy sponsor in the next couple of days. :D

• Members

Man... we really wish.

Trouble is, Peter can't afford to take us on the whole tour - just the southeast shows. He's doing that section of the tour solo. We're all pretty bummed out about that, but it's the way things are nowadays.
:(

You should go see him anyway, though - you won't see a more compelling solo act, period. Unless you can find us a wealthy sponsor in the next couple of days.
:D

jeez, that's too bad. Looks like he is in the smaller room there (which was probably set a while ago). It's tough for me to get out but I'm sure it would be great. They book pretty well down there. And you would just be a short hop to the Frank Lloyd Wright district or Hemingway's boyhood home or the L. Next time!

• Members

BTW... not sure if Lee left this out intentionally, but Peter Case was the leader of a great power pop band back in the '80s, the Plimsouls. You may recall their big hit "A Million Miles Away".

I didn't really leave it out intentionally, and for a lot of people, that's the only reference they have for Peter. "Oh yeah, I saw the Plimsouls in 'Valley Girl!'" :)

Which is fine, and the Plimsouls were awesome, don't get me wrong. I was a huge fan, and their records still sound great today. It's just that I'd hate for anyone to get the impression that Peter's some one-hit wonder from the 80s trotting out the old stuff for a bunch of nostalgic fans, when that's the last thing from the truth. Fact is, he's achieved most of his acclaim as a solo artist, including 3 Grammy nominations, a tribute box set, and enough credits with various luminaries to make your head spin. And all for very good reason. It's pretty rare for anybody to be able to sustain that level of creativity and passion over that long a period, but Peter in 2010 is every bit as vital and inspired as he was in 1983, if not more.

Well, I know you know this Jeff, but a lot of people don't!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I know Joey Alkes, who co-wrote "Million Miles Away" with Case and Fradkin for The Plimsouls back in the 80's. Last I heard from Joey he was doing a rap project called DJ Monkey...I've interviewed him for Yellow Pills magazine, a powerpop fanzine by Jordan Oakes, who compiled the series of the same name for Rhino Records in the 90's.

• Members

Peter Case. Yeah! I saw him a bunch of times in and around LA, but the last time was awesome. He was opening for Elvis Costello at the amphitheater at San Diego State. What a great show, all the way around. That was Elvis' last tour with The Attractions, and I got to see 5 or 6 of the shows (mostly amphitheaters, mostly southern Cali). Off topic, a ways: At the time there was the periodic talk/rumors about a 'modified' Beatles reunion gig, and I thought Peter would have been perfect to stand in for John.

Wish I was near Nashville; your show would be a "drop everything" situation, no question about it. Have a great one.

• Members

Thanks flipper - that show was actually a month and a half ago (old thread that was resurrected) but it went great. Whereabouts are you? I can let you know if we're doing any shows near you.

You know, a few years ago Peter did get to stand in for John, sorta. There was a benefit for the L.A. Philharmonic, which was held at the Hollywood Bowl. George Martin was conducting the orchestra, doing original Beatles scores, and they had a huge cast of celebs doing the songs - including Stewart Copeland on drums and Andy Summers on guitar. And Peter got to sing "I Am the Walrus," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "All You Need is Love" - yes, with the full orchestra doing the scores, conducted by George Martin, and with Stewart and Andy and the whole 9 yards. Pretty incredible, and he just KILLED it. He did every bit as great a job as you'd expect. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks flipper - that show was actually a month and a half ago (old thread that was resurrected) but it went great. Whereabouts are you? I can let you know if we're doing any shows near you.

You know, a few years ago Peter did get to stand in for John, sorta. There was a benefit for the L.A. Philharmonic, which was held at the Hollywood Bowl. George Martin was conducting the orchestra, doing original Beatles scores, and they had a huge cast of celebs doing the songs - including Stewart Copeland on drums and Andy Summers on guitar. And Peter got to sing "I Am the Walrus," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "All You Need is Love" - yes, with the full orchestra doing the scores, conducted by George Martin, and with Stewart and Andy and the whole 9 yards. Pretty incredible, and he just KILLED it. He did every bit as great a job as you'd expect.
:thu:

Wow - that is just awesome (the Bowl show and everything). I realized, too late, that I was responding to an older thread, but figured that was okay, I've been "away" for a long time, so it's par for the course ...

I'm in Berkeley. California, so the SF Bay Area is all around, and my g-friend and I do periodical trips to NYC, southern Cali, Chicago, and a few other spots, mostly on her biz. But that would be great to get itineraries or anything like that. I know your band has a web site, so I'll try to do some of the work here, too, heheh, and see if you all have a mailing list or something. Thanks for the reply, and we'll catch you somewhere, it's just a matter of time.

cheers!

Archived