Back to copper !

techristian

• Members

Yeah, same here.

Wireless router is in the kitchen, and the wireless connection for my desktop - all of 20 feet away - would drop at least 10 times a day. So I strung CAT5 through the attic, dropped it in the wall of my little office, and it's far faster and I never get dropped anymore.

Never could figure out what the issue was. Some computers in the house (at any point in time there are at least 4 computers and when the kids come home with friends as many 10) never lose their connection, others get dropped constantly. And buying new wireless cards or USB transmitters never made any difference.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Yeah, same here.

Wireless router is in the kitchen, and the wireless connection for my desktop - all of 20 feet away - would drop at least 10 times a day. So I strung CAT5 through the attic, dropped it in the wall of my little office, and it's far faster and I never get dropped anymore.

Never could figure out what the issue was. Some computers in the house (at any point in time there are at least 4 computers and when the kids come home with friends as many 10) never lose their connection, others get dropped constantly. And buying new wireless cards or USB transmitters never made any difference.

nat whilk ii

I had this when I was using a Belkin router. It was a total PITA.

I asked in this (or a previous CA) forum for recommendations on my next brand and about half suggested LinkSys and the other half suggested Netgear or some other commodity priced router. Since I could get a Netgear for less than half the price of the LinkSys, I went with that. I've had to reset it a couple times for unexplained reasons over the years I've had it (not a full reset, apparently, since it doesn't lose the 64bit key) but it's been relatively trouble free where the Belkin was a total pain. That said, I've had other folks recommend Belkin. Go figure.

• Members

I do wireless networking for a living... plan, install and maintain, but I won't have it in my own home network. :eek: I wired my house through the attic to most rooms.

If I did have wireless though I would look for some of the older Cisco stuff. The Cisco 350 wireless bridge... I've installed a lot of those in schools, city buildings, on towers for WISPs, etc. Very reliable. A lot of the consumer stuff is sort of like cheap consumer recording gear if you get my drift. ;)

• Members

I had this when I was using a Belkin router. It was a total PITA.

I asked in this (or a previous CA) forum for recommendations on my next brand and about half suggested LinkSys and the other half suggested Netgear or some other commodity priced router. Since I could get a Netgear for less than half the price of the LinkSys, I went with that. I've had to reset it a couple times for unexplained reasons over the years I've had it (not a full reset, apparently, since it doesn't lose the 64bit key) but it's been relatively trouble free where the Belkin was a total pain. That said, I've had other folks recommend Belkin. Go figure.

It seems to be simply a weird quirk of fate, as to which wireless router works best, and for whom.

I've had the best success with Belkin, then Netgea, and LinkSys was a unit that was down more than up.

Since our relocation I've retrograded to DSL and the wireless router they provided, a Clear Access router failed constantly so it was replaced, albeit with a different model. That too fails regularly so I plugged in my Belkin F5D7231-4P, a router with a built in usb printer port. It's much more reliable than the Clear Access router and was much more reliable on holding connections than the LinkSys or Netgear unit's had when I used it when on cable as well.

The Clear Access also keeps connections open for a long time so with this DSL service with those connections open the service slows to a crawl or stops completely until I reset the router.

What a person might try to get better connectivity is to access the router setup and switch the Wireless Channel to static.

• Members

Well my latest router is a Cisco/Linksys. I only had it since the new year and I bought it because my Dlink was getting broken into..... but now I have the same problem with the Cisco !

I thought that Cisco meant SERIOUS , but maybe this is just really a Linksys.

Dan

Oh, yeah, Dlink. That was another POS for me.

• Members

Well my latest router is a Cisco/Linksys. I only had it since the new year and I bought it because my Dlink was getting broken into..... but now I have the same problem with the Cisco !

I thought that Cisco meant SERIOUS , but maybe this is just really a Linksys.

Dan

Yeah Dan, Cisco acquired Linksys a few years ago to get into the consumer side of the business. What you get is the Cisco name stamped on what used to be only Linksys. The professional Cisco wireless stuff I

Archived