We're Terribly Polite In England, You Know

Mark L

• Members

I remember when English television was all posh and serious like this.

It's rather rich listening to this announcer--- with his posh public school accent and demeanour---- ask these lads, point-blank: "So what's it like having money?"

I remember that English TV in these days had a host per each evening. There would be a very posh, middle-aged lady in a sparkly evening gown and big bouffanted hair sitting in a chair with a glass of wine at her side. She had one of those husky, cigarette-y voices that posh English women always sound so luscious with. She would introduce the night's TV watching, and commentate between shows. Why the English public needed this handholding "guide" to the night's shows was anybody's guess. It was perhaps thought that TV was essentially a vulgar American medium that needed to be classed-up and explained or apologised for, as needed.

Then, at around 10 or 11, there would be a panel show in which they would interview British citizens as to the meaning and importance of what they had just watched that evening. On the panel would be some terribly posh scholar... then some oik from Chelsea. They'd get into arguments as to what the implications of the night's shows were. The cockney would swear up and down that the night's programming was elitist and condescending to the working class; but the posh scholar would mumble and chew that it it wasn't, and that our scruffy hipster should go draw a bath and get lost.

Eventually the screen would go still and you'd get the girl playing noughts-and-crosses with the clown doll. (-;

Testcard_F.jpg

Many people have said that MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS was just a bit of meaningless absurdity, but the truth was, it was a very calculated attack on the stiffness of English TV as we see it in the OP's clip.

• Members

No less than five instances of the word "posh", Ras.

I'm sure there's a tiered fine structure in place for that, somewhere.

Many people have said that MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS was just a bit of meaningless absurdity, but the truth was, it was a very calculated attack on the stiffness of English TV as we see it in the OP's clip.

NO! :eek:Really?!?! I... I'm shocked. And stunned.

I'm shocked and stunned, I tell you. Appalled, really. Terribly appalled.

• Members

NO!
:eek:
Really?!?!
I... I'm shocked. And stunned.

I'm shocked and stunned, I tell you. Appalled, really. Terribly appalled.

haha, offramp... You obviously know how to deconstruct PYTHON. But you'd be amazed how many just think it's surreal, meaningless nonsense.

Very posh of you to notice.:thu:

Archived