Bryssis - my guitar driven music project...

Phait

• Members

Those timing misalignment issues can really throw you off. A rew silly little milliseconds* can be all it takes sometimes to throw you off but be close enough you can't quite pin down what's wrong. (*Well, 8 or 10, anyhow.)

My interface/driver will track about 8 ms off the mark (unless I have its tracking alignment offset adjusted to make up for it).

I didn't realize it at first but one day I did a bongo part and, while I'm far from a good percussionist, I felt like I had something where I could probably just do 3 or 4 small edits and have something acceptable. Except, when I played it back,it all felt weird. And I knew it wasn't all weird.

So I set up a ping loopback test and measured the difference between a test tone and an analog copy of same on a new track (made going out the analog out and back in the analog in, of course) and found the copy to be 355 samples off (about 8.1 ms). Obviously, going out the DA and back in the AD, a properly aligned system would have the copy precisely aligned with the original.

I've always thought that a lot of the folks who complain vaguely about "something being wrong" with digital that they can't put their fingers on might very well have systems with improper tracking alignment.

But getting people to test their rigs is often an uphill struggle, for reasons I've never been able to figure out.

In tests I've prodded folks to do, most people who weren't already adjusting for such issues did, indeed, show signs of misalignment, sometimes only by a few ms, but sometimes by 10 ms or more -- which is certainly enough to start really messing with your mind, rhythmically.

• Members

Hi

How to present a music project to my band class?I have this project, where i have to listen to around 20 songs and do a write up about them .. then i have to fine a creative way to present my whole project. i don't reallly know where to start with the creativeness,i was going to draw a big picture of what images i see in the music but some people have already done that, and i don't want to do the same thing, because that would look like copying.

• Members

Those timing misalignment issues can really throw you off. A rew silly little milliseconds* can be all it takes sometimes to throw you off but be
close
enough you can't quite pin down what's wrong. (*Well, 8 or 10, anyhow.)

Not only rhythmically, but this also affects the mix. The sooner you hear the event, the louder it will sound. Also stacking a bunch of events EXACTLY on 2 and 4 could be much louder than if some of them are a bit too soon or a bit too late. They could also have cancellation.

Dan

• Members

Hi

How to present a music project to my band class?I have this project, where i have to listen to around 20 songs and do a write up about them .. then i have to fine a creative way to present my whole project. i don't reallly know where to start with the creativeness,i was going to draw a big picture of what images i see in the music but some people have already done that, and i don't want to do the same thing, because that would look like copying.

Don't bother answering this 'guy' -- he was a robo-spammer and a plagiarist.

• Members

Not only rhythmically, but this also affects the mix. The sooner you hear the event, the louder it will sound. Also stacking a bunch of events EXACTLY on 2 and 4 could be much louder than if some of them are a bit too soon or a bit too late. They could also have cancellation.

Dan

The Haas effect certainly effects our perception of what we hear. I'm not absolutely sure that 'louder' is quite the right word, but the effect is essentially the same: the ear appears to give greater importance/weight to the sound and that seems to mimic perception of amplitude difference. If two sounds, left and right, are of equal volume but one is a few ms ahead of the other, at a certain point (that varies individually and perhaps over time and/or with training) the ear will treat the earlier event as though it were, indeed louder.

Obviously, I'm trying to slice words pretty thin, there. Louder sounding (sounding in the sense of seeming, anyhow) is a pretty practical upshot.

;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm just gonna say my true opinion. But as a means to hopefully be constructive.

The music..I liked it. some good ideas. but they are not developed. Like at all. This should be your main focus. Not T-shirt designs and what not.

The name..I absolutely find it irritating when a thing is spelled one way and then pronounced another. It looks like it should be pronounced "br-eye-sis. And that actually sounds better than bree-sis. Don't make people have to work like that. Its irritating.

Other than that, may your project be blessed.

• Members

I have a problem with the name too. Why not just call yourself (or the project) "Phait" instead of something that sounds like a disease?

Used in a sentence: "Jimmy got a bad case of bryssis from a hooker in Vegas."

:D

• Members

Thanks.

Yeah I recognise it's not very developed at this point, and that's my intention ultimately - not just these snippets. But I wanted something to toss up. I've been having a very dry creative period the past few weeks so I'm trying to get through it.

• Members

This should be your main focus. Not T-shirt designs and what not.

Oh and I'm failing to see the "t-shirt designs and what-not" comment. If you're referring to the website, well I've been a designer for ~9 years and it's every bit as important communicating and branding something. But yes, ultimately the point is the music and a well designed site/logo/etc won't help it if the music needs improvement.

Archived