Help with choosing right strings/brass and other stuff

chrisgil

• Members

Hi all

Im doing a project where I need the best quality (real sounding) strings for music in the vein of Amy Winehouse, Noisettes, Plan B, Modern Motown and for some big orchestra pop ballad stuff.

Also need good brass for the same project.

Im looking at these programs/sample librarys

Chris Hein Complete 1-4 (for brass)

Chris Hein HornsV1 Overview

VSL standard cube collection (im guessing the vienna instruments pro software will be best for this?)

Vienna Symphonic Library

Also, just so you know what im dealing with, im upgrading the rest of my gear,

going to an Imac I7 2.93ghz with 16GB ram, C300 256GB SSD and a 2TB File.

Upgrading to Logic 9, NI Komplete 7, BFD2 fully expanded, GTR3 and getting hold of a Virus TI desktop v2

the gear I already have is at www.christiangilbart.com studio section, there maybe a couple of bits missing.

Any advice and feedback on the strings and brass in particular, but in general the whole thing would be hugely appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Buy my album if you like as well :)

• Members

I use Vienna Chamber II strings on lots of projects and clients seem to like those. The old KirK Hunter solo Strings are also great when I need something with more bite than the Vienna stuff. Those two in combination also make for some nice sounds. Mixed in with a couple of real players every so often also works very well.

The above also sorta work for Motown/Al Green era sounds, although the Native Session strings may have more useable hooks/runs built in for more instantaneous era nailing. I've been thinking of getting those as they're inexpensive.

Getting ready to buy the entire Vienna Solo string library, so I'll be calling out to Uncle Chuck in a few days for one of his super-secret payment plans.

The new Vienna Pro player is looking great but I still use the standard.

BFD has been cool for me for a lot of years although I've still not upgraded to the version 2.

Archived