Do you have a couch on your porch?

techristian

• Members

There are two kinds of people in this world...

It is very dangerous.

Why is it more dangerous than having a couch inside your house?

If a fire starts in the couch inside your house (and you have a sense of smell or a smoke detector) you will likely know it and can call the FD, get out or put out the fire yourself (first call the FD) and damage will likely be pretty limited.

But if a fire starts in the couch outside your wood frame house -- let's say you were out enjoying the evening after dinner, catching a quick cigarette and a smoldering bit went between the cushions where it might take hours for a full on fire to catch -- the fire can spread to across the outside of your structure before you are even aware of it, potentially making exit very dangerous.

And -- for sure -- people who have a couch on their front or back porch should not make an enemy of the neighborhood sociopath.

That said... I used to love to sleep outside at night on the beat up old couch behind my front neighbor's apartment. This wasn't the country, by a stretch -- it was mid-urban Long Beach and my tiny house got burglarized a couple times -- but I was pretty fearless then. And something about being outside was actually reassuring, somehow. (Not quite sure how. Looking back t doesn't seem all that reassuring, even with the bowie knife I typically had at hand. But I've seen a lot since then. Back then, kids on the block didn't even have zip guns let alone Mac 10s.)

• Members

I keep seeing the title on this thread as "Do you have a cooch on your pooch?".

:lol:

And one that's likely to catch FIRE baby! Whooohooo!

"If you have a cooch on your front porch it WILL catch on fire."

Now, see... those are odds I can deal with.

I've known a few people who had couches on their porches. Houses are still standing. In fact, most of the college housing section of Boulder has couches on porches. Still there. Drove through there just last week, even.

Must be a Canadian thing.

• Members

Well I hope the info saves a few lives. Do you know how many people have enclosed porches with couches?..............LOTS !

Dan

Yeah... I was rolling that around in my head.

Normally when I think about an upholstered couch on a porch, patio, or 'outdoor room' I just think about the rain/humidity angle. (Thinking back to the mildew that slowly but surely invaded and pervaded that beloved, raggedy old couch behind my neighbor's house. Of course, it wasn't even covered. The persistent dampness may have been the only thing keeping it from spontaneously combusting. ;) )

But, yeah... after I read this I thought, man, you could really be in trouble if you were out on the enclosed patio smoking an evening cigarette, dropped a cherry into the couch, didn't notice it and then went to bed... If it was inside you'd hopefully smell the fire and get ahead of it but...

I once saw a couch catch fire maybe 3-4 hours after someone was sitting, smoking on it. They were smoking something messy. So that may have been part of why no earlier signs were noticed, but I think the party had drifted to another part of the house, as well. Happily, the still-only-smoldering fire was extinguished with a couple of pitchers of water, but it was a real wake up.

Doesn't Ken have a couch on the cool 'outdoor room' back patio that I saw in one of his pictures? (In the studio pics thread, I think.)

• Members

What if there's a stained ceramic sink on top of the porch couch?

Well then, you're safe, so long as you keep the sink filled with water so you can put out the inevitable couch fire.

'Course, then you have the very dangerous mosquitoes that are likely to breed in the sink. Man, it's a nasty world out there on your porch.

• Members

Well then, you're safe, so long as you keep the sink filled with water so you can put out the inevitable couch fire.

'Course, then you have the very dangerous mosquitoes that are likely to breed in the sink. Man, it's a nasty world out there on your porch.

ROFL!!!! :thu:

• Members

The smoke from the smoldering couch will drive away the mosquitos after they leave the larval stage...

It's nature's way.

• Members

Well I hope the info saves a few lives. Do you know how many people have enclosed porches with couches?..............LOTS !

Dan

Oh, GAWD, it already has!!!!! I've taken all my couches off my porch already!!!! There's no sense having those dangerous things on my porch!!! And I've thrown out the couch inside my living room, too! I mean, jeeeeez, if it's that dangerous outside the house, just think what could happen INSIDE! I mean, there's smoke inhalation to consider inside!! And those flames! I hear those flames can be dangerous! You may have saved lives just from bringing this to people's attention. Have you considered starting a non-profit organization? Let's ban all couches!!!!

• Members

dingo-couch-a.jpg

JEEBUS {censored}, MAN!!!!!

This couch has clearly caught fire even though there is no porch nearby!! Has the road also influenced the inflammability of the couch? We better be sure to water the front yard, because it touches both the porch AND the road!! In fact, I say we soak the sidewalk just for good measure.

Archived