Tape Op is a very cool magazine

Hard Truth

• Members

I feel bad about criticizing* Tape Op magazine in another thread because overall it is a very cool magazine. The writers/editors bring a lot of passion, practical experience and sincerity to their work. It is very community oriented in its approach with lots of interaction between the staff, writers and readers. (In fact, the editor/founder even responded to my thread criticizing them.) The website is good also. It is almost as cool as EQ has been lately.

*They emphasize analog, vintage, tape and tube gear a bit much for my taste and I'm not a big fan of the type of music they tend to feature.

• Members

Its been my favorite mag for at least the last 3-4 years. I do agree about with bp though... sometimes it can be difficult to read.

Yup me too. Something is wrong with my subscription though as I have not been getting mine lately. I need to check it out. I keep them around as reference when I am keen on buying something...I go see if there is a review on it.

• Members

The things that are killer are some of the features on studios or engineers, as it is a musical history lesson from the production side.

I can kind of get what the first poster is saying, as the people behind the music really came more out of indie-rock, but a lot of the stuff they cover really is pretty applicable for the people that are learning to record their own projects or others on their own. They do interviews with a bunch of pros and people that have done legendary work, but the other articles are really are more at the home to working studio level.

There is a ton of information to read in each issue, they pack it pretty full, especially in places like the letters column, which is more of a discussion on certain things.

If I had a desert island request, I'd love to see a Tape Op feature with Pete Townshend going over how he recorded his demos and got into the tape looping/synths back in the early 70s. There is one article or mentioned that he is a fan of the magazine and they have done interviews with people that did similar kinds of work, but after reading he was a fan of the magazine, I thought it would be amazing to read one of their features on him.

• Members

I like the mag.

However, I always seem to fall off their subscription list.

It's happened 2-3 times.

It seems I don't get the e-mail to remind me to renew my subscription.

Next thing you know it's been several months and I realize I musta missed an issue or two.

I understand the desire to have folks renew periodically since its a free mailing.

I just need that reminder.

• Members

I like the mag.

However, I always seem to fall off their subscription list.

It's happened 2-3 times.

It seems I don't get the e-mail to remind me to renew my subscription.

Next thing you know it's been several months and I realize I musta missed an issue or two.

I understand the desire to have folks renew periodically since its a free mailing.

I just need that reminder.

This has happened to me 2-3 times as well, same exact thing.

• Members

Yup me too. Something is wrong with my subscription though as I have not been getting mine lately. I need to check it out. I keep them around as reference when I am keen on buying something...I go see if there is a review on it.

I have not received my Tape Op in some time. either. Wonder what's up with that.

• Members

Speaking of Magazines. I love TapeOp and I think it's Hard Truth fault :) I didn't know about it before his "bad" thread.

I also like Sound on Sound, EQ and some legal stuff in Recording recently.

Maybe it's personal as it's good to know some cool authors writing for cool magazines :)

What I know for sure if you don't read you are out.

• Members

If I had a desert island request, I'd love to see a Tape Op feature with Pete Townshend going over how he recorded his demos and got into the tape looping/synths back in the early 70s. There is one article or mentioned that he is a fan of the magazine and they have done interviews with people that did similar kinds of work, but after reading he was a fan of the magazine, I thought it would be amazing to read one of their features on him.

EQ actually had a cool issue on Pete that covered a bunch of stuff like that. Pretty in depth article.

Archived