John Lennon Would Have Been 70 Today

Mark L

• Members

I remember the day he was killed. I was doing an all nighter to re-type a "departmental honors paper" while watching Monday Night Football. Howard Cosell announced the death and I was shocked. Just sat there typing and thinking. Happy B-day John..... we miss you.

• Members

I remember the day he was killed. I was doing an all nighter to re-type a "departmental honors paper" while watching Monday Night Football. Howard Cosell announced the death and I was shocked. Just sat there typing and thinking. Happy B-day John..... we miss you.

I was just about to leave the house to go to school. I was a HUGE Beatles fan at the time. I couldn't believe what I was hearing on the radio. I lay down on the landing and wept. I didn't go to school that day

• Members

Its still the 8th here in SoCal. Tomorrow I'm going to head over to Hollywood and check out his star at Capitol Records and also the site of some old radio stations in that area and a few other sites. I've never gotten out of the car around there so I'm going to park it and walk around. Then later I'm going over to the Musicians Institute to see guitarist John Abercrombie. The weather has finally returned to normal, should be really nice. The Beatles were my porthole into music. I learned how to make a barre chord by looking at a picture of John holding one down on the Beatle's Second Album. Can't believe 1980 was thirty years ago!

• Members

That accounts for the JL logo-doodle on Google. ;)

December 8, 1980, I was lying in the hospital (in hospital for Saul and our Brit-English speaking cohort)... in fact, I'd been reading an Esquire profile on John and Yoko and how Yoko had managed to build Lennon's fortune back up from a paltry ~$25M (after the oft-alleged Alan B. Klein looting) to something like ~$450M. LA punk rock icon Darby Crash had died just the day before. (He may have been a hopeless junkie -- but he was our hopeless junkie.) And LA local TV movie host, Ben Hunter, who I'd watched on and off for years, and who had been getting me through the long afternoons (I was in hospital for two months and a day after a careless driver t-boned me and my motorcycle), was missing that day or the next day (hospital time -- on morphine -- gets a little blurry) and replacing him was a red-eyed Sheriff John (Rovick), my favorite local cartoon show host when I was a tyke. Rovick was looking into the camera, saying Ben Hunter had died the night before, and that he, Sheriff John, would be hosting the days movie. And then he cried.

Tough week.

• Members

my daughter was starting the 4th day of her life, I had taken off from work to be with her...I had to go to the office and pick up some paperwork, on the way down a quiet country road about 7 am on a foggy morning, a Dove landed on the road in front of me.... as soon as it touched the road, I hit it and looking in the rear vision mirror I saw feathers flying all about.

Something made me turn on the radio...It was then that I learned that John had been shot the night before,

I know it sounds corny, but I'll never forget it or the significance it carries for me 'til this day.

• Members
my daughter was starting the 4th day of her life, I had taken off from work to be with her...I had to go to the office and pick up some paperwork, on the way down a quiet country road about 7 am on a foggy morning, a Dove landed on the road in front of me.... as soon as it touched the road, I hit it and looking in the rear vision mirror I saw feathers flying all about.

Something made me turn on the radio...It was then that I learned that John had been shot the night before,

I know it sounds corny, but I'll never forget it or the significance it carries for me 'til this day.

No one needs to explain how that confluence of events and emotions would stick in one's mind. Coincidences are, on some level, what we make of them -- but that doesn't mean their meanings to us aren't profound, significant and transcendental. All of life is interconnected at the most fundamental level.

• Members

No one needs to explain how that confluence of events and emotions would stick in one's mind. Coincidences are, on some level, what we make of them -- but that doesn't mean their meanings to us aren't profound, significant and transcendental.
All
of life is interconnected at the most fundamental level.

John, as outwardly cynical as he was, would smile at what you just wrote.

This day Oct 9, in 1916, my father...my Hero/Mentor was born.

So, I 'second that emotion' to what you wrote.

• Members

I was 7 when he passed. I didn`t know who he was but I remember my parents being upset. I eventually discovered The Beatles more out of curiousity than anything else but John Lennon was the one I related to the most. Its a shame what happened and then I think about how much we could use a guy like Lennon today. Others have tried but they are usually accused of being ego maniacs.

• Members

I've got a newspaper cutting of John signing an autograph for Mark Chapman somewhere. I cut it out around the time..

Shame he's not around in some ways but it's not a bad thing he missed the 80's, musically.

If anyone is ever in Liverpool, Uk.. The National Trust runs a

• Members

It may sound politically incorrect or callous, but here goes:

I don't think John Lennon ever would've made 70. His spirit was just too wild, reckless and bumptious. He was always kind of a fated man.... and perhaps slightly doomed in some ways...

I agree. Spirits like Lennon burn hot and fade quickly. He did what he had to do. Amen.

• Members

I share a birthday with John Lennon....and a somewhat similar upbringing.

I was beginning to really develop my ear for music, and had become a Beatlemaniac in 1979...I couldn't get enough of their music.

that night in December of 1980 I was all of 13 when I was listening to the radio, and had about nodded off that night, when the DJ relayed the info. I was totally stunned by the news. All of a sudden a lot of his solo work (and many Beatle songs of his) became unbearably sad to listen to. John probably would have hated it happened, but "Imagine" took on a completely different vibe when he died.

Archived