Does Anyone have a Windows 98 DISC

Taylor Davis

• Members

after several years of not recording due to events beyond my control, I went to record yesterday on my olde compy and the dang thang would not start up. it gives an ERROR message stating that I need to use a windows 98 disc to fix the problem.

I had two discs but My home was torn down and sold for scrap and all my stuff and I mean ALL was either stolen or thrown away.

The only things I managed to save was a few clothes items and my two computers that I had taken to a friends hoose after my electric was turnt off.

SO if anyone has a 98 disc and wishes to help a guy out I would appreciate it.

TD

• Members

the ebay thang ain't gonna work for me. I don't have a bank account or any money to put in an account and I'm mostly broke but I could come up with three dollars to mail off one of my 24 track, home made, light scribed ceedees if somebody wishes to trade a 98 SE disc.

it ain't a perfect trade I know,yet If someone wishes to help a guy oot this is a good way to do it.

I would appreciate it very much.

TD

• Members

Download a free boot disc. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Next go into the computers bios and tell it to boot from that disc. It can be a Floopy disc, a CD or a USB memory stick.

Next restart and let the disc boot. After it comes up to the dos promt, you can run scandisk which should fix disc errors, You can also run system restore if your version had system restore to begin with. Early versions of 98 didnt have it, If the service packs were all done before the crash it should have it.

You can google up step by step instructions on how to do all this.

If the computer wont boot, it could be the backup battery is dead or the drive has frozen up due to non use.

• Members

Download a free boot disc.

Next go into the computers bios and tell it to boot from that disc. It can be a Floopy disc, a CD or a USB memory stick.

Next restart and let the disc boot. After it comes up to the dos promt, you can run scandisk which should fix disc errors, You can also run system restore if your version had system restore to begin with. Early versions of 98 didnt have it, If the service packs were all done before the crash it should have it.

If the computer wont boot, it could be the backup battery is dead or the drive has frozen up due to non use.

thanks wrgkmc! that is extremely helpful.

So do I just put the unopened file onto a disc and then run it on the olde compy?

I get everting else you related.

TAYLOR DAVIS

• Members

WRGKMC: Saving people with computer problems, one person at a time
:thu:
IIRC you saved my butt with some question I had a while ago...

Anyway, here's a link to where you can buy a
legit copy of Windows 98 SE
for about $45.

hi greg anderson! 45 bucks? I really do not have 45 cents. Maybe if I can finde some honest work everything will be alright, but right now it's all fumes and no gas. Thanks for the heads up greg.

• Members

I still have an unopened Win 98 SE disk, as well as a couple opened ones. I'm keeping them for when Microshaft finally kills off XP with "updates," or there will be no way to activate anymore once they stop supporting it. At that point I'll go back to Win 98. One thing I like about that OS is that it works and it's mine. I don't have to ask permission from MS to install or reinstall. And as long as I keep it off-line for DAW use only it works just fine with my older PIII DAW. I actually knda miss it, even though XP has been pretty good to me for the most part.

I also have two unopened OEM Win 95 SR2, but no way would I want to mess with that. I think I might sell those to someone in India or maybe Fiji. I love eBay.

• CMS Author

thanks wrgkmc! that is extremely helpful.

So do I just put the unopened file onto a disc and then run it on the olde compy?

No. You need a working computer with a floppy drive. The file that you download from the bootdisk.com link is a self-extracting executable (.EXE) file. You click on it and it extracts the system files and writes them to the floppy. Then, you put the floppy disk in the computer you're trying to restore and boot it from that floppy.

• Members

Assuming one had a CD copy of Win 98 SE, how would one get it to you through the piney trees and too many creeks and bridges to count?

HI fret fiend! I got a snail mail addy and I could send you a homegrown ceedee.

That is a generous thing to do if you so wish fretfiend. thank you mucho!

I am PMing my snail mail addy. TD

• Members

Download a free boot disc.

Will you have my little cyber babies?

Archived