Repair Manifesto

Hard Truth

• Members

Repair.Manifesto

Platform21

1. Make your products live longer.Repairing means taking the opportunity to give your product a second life. Don't ditch it, stitch it! Don't end it, mend it.Repairing is not anti-consumption. It is anti-needlessly throwing things away.

2. Things should be designed so that they can be repaired.

Product designers: Make your products repairable. Share clear, understandable information about DIY repairs.

Consumers: Buy things you know can be repaired, or else find out why they don

• Members

Arise ye prisoners of large-pad solder joints. Let the secrets of the surface mount priesthood be spread like a metallic paste.

Preserve ye some lead in your solder - preferably in a eutectic ratio - so that thy joints shall not grow tin whiskers.

Hesitate to modify thy fore-bearer's work. Remind thyself: if the piece hath lasted this long, perhaps there is a reason.

best,

john

• CMS Author

What would keep the manufacturers in business if their gear didn't need to be replaced every few years? And how could they make it cheap enough so that we'd be tempted to replace it rather than repair it if they didn't sell it by the truckload?

Some gear does last for a long time. Do your microphones break? Not likely, as long as you take care of them, but you hear about some new mic that warm and phat and only costs $200 so you gotta have it (and you gotta sell the last one you bought in order to afford it). Your cheap mixers break because they have mechanical parts. The reason why you can't fix them easily is because you can't get replacement parts. You can get replacement parts for that 30 year old Neve with the P&G faders, but a replacement fader costs as much as two Mackie mixers.

Me, I don't throw anything away. Some day I'm going to fix those cassette recorders and VCRs stored down in the basement. Maybe. But I don't really need them any more because the digital recorders that I'm using in their place now cost much less than the mechanical (take note - I'm not saying analog recorders and will need replacement because they're obsolete, not because the belts stretch out and the heads wear.

Archived