Wouldn't It Be Nice (Vocals Only)

Mark L

• Members

Love this stuff. They have a bunch of different takes, I believe, on the Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary edition.

I saw Brian Wilson in concert some months ago, and he decided to include a song since his wife liked it while they were rehearsing. I don't recall what song it was, but sounded like heaven. IIRC, there were maybe 9 people singing a capella. I remember Taylor Mills, Darian Sahanaja, and Jeff Foskett singing along with Brian. Incredible stuff!

• Members

Great stuff. I was lucky enough to have seen Brian and band up close, very close, at the Consumer Electronics Show in 2007. I shot a ton of pictures, one of which is on the Brian Wilson Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wilson. The rest of the set can be found here if interested:

http://www.pbase.com/rking401/brian_wilson&page=all

• Members

Love this stuff. They have a bunch of different takes, I believe, on the Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary edition.

I have it. There's a disc of "Pet Sounds" vocals only and another disc of the instrumental tracks only. The instrumentals start with the raw studio recordings including Brian's directions over the talkback mic. The whole 40th Anniversary package is absolutely fascinating.

• Members

Oh man, I love this stuff. I grew up with the Beach Boys playing all the time. This was a bit before my time, but I have two older sisters that were Beach Boys fans, so it was in the air when I was a kid. I count the Beach Boys among my musical influences even though my music sounds nothing like them. But those vocal harmonies got down in my soul as a little tyke. It comes out in my own style, but I know that's where it started. :)

• Members

That's really sweet.

A nice reminder that barbershop never died.

Quite frankly, listening to that, I doubt that autotune would have found a place to perform its sorcery. :-)

I dunno. Auto-Tune defaults to equal temperament. You don't get harmonies like that when people are singing to the 'piano key' notes. So I suspect the tuning would have been kicking in like crazy.

12 Tone Equal Temperament may have made modern instruments like the piano and guitar possible -- but the unavoidable harmonic imprecisions imposed by 12TET make true harmonies impossible unless one moves away from the compromise notes.

PS... I like the little bit of studio chatter right at the end, that's kind of amusing.

• Members

Agreed... especially during all of those nuances (portamenting up to the note, etc.) that make it great. The evil Autotune would have sucked the happiness out of the Beach Boys! Beware!

The latest incarnations of AT allow for all the portamento and "ignore" you require... but I'm sure you knew that. What I meant was, what's the point? It's The Beachboys and long may they live on in our hearts and ears.

Archived