I.D. this '70's Britpop artist, please!

rasputin1963

• Members

Hey gang,

Wazzup-wazzup---:wave:

I heard a song played on an Internet radio station and managed to extract the song from their podcast.

I made a quickie MP3 of the song and have published it at archive.com

Download or listen to the song HERE:

http://www.archive.org/details/SheIsLove

Please disregard the {censored}ty quality of the sound. I'm guessing that the song's title is "She Is Love", but I don't know for certain. The DJ didn't back-announce the piece.

I don't know the date, but as you can hear, it sounds like one of those Britpop numbers from about 1969--71, wouldn't you agree? (from the era of The Herd, Mike McGear, Badfinger, Vanity Fare, Raspberries, The Casuals, The Scaffold, etc.) It's quite a catchy, creative little thing, with great meter shifts, and that weird patchwork effect that recurs at midpoint and at the end... which must have been tricky to splice with a razor blade.

(It reminds me much of something that our own Saul T. Nads would do, actually. :thu:)

What say you? Who is this group? And the year and album? :confused::confused::confused:

• Members

Please disregard the {censored}ty quality of the sound. I'm guessing that the song's title is "She Is Love", but I don't know for certain. The DJ didn't back-announce the piece.

I don't know the date, but as you can hear, it sounds like one of those Britpop numbers from about 1969--71, wouldn't you agree? (from the era of The Herd, Mike McGear, Badfinger, Vanity Fare, Raspberries, The Casuals, The Scaffold, etc.) It's quite a catchy, creative little thing, with great meter shifts, and that weird patchwork effect that recurs at midpoint and at the end... which must have been tricky to splice with a razor blade.

(It reminds me much of something that our own Saul T. Nads would do, actually.
:thu:
)

What say you? Who is this group? And the year and album?
:confused:

David

I know your intentions are not dishonorable, but putting OP's copyrighted material on Archive.org is right up there with defacing Wikipedia.

FWIW, I don't have any real recollection of the song. It sounds like one of those psychedelica songs (that are often from latter day bands) that play when you build a Pandora 'station' around something like "Itchycoo Park." Actually it sounds like one of the better ones. The seemingly endless supply of bad psychedelica on Pandora is one the things that makes me appreciate my on-demand Rhapsody subscription. ;)

• Members

David

I know your intentions are not dishonorable, but putting OP's copyrighted material on Archive.org is right up there with defacing Wikipedia.

I put it up to expire in 30 days... Is there another way I could've made this MP3 available for you guys to hear?

• Members

I put it up to expire in 30 days... Is there another way I could've made this MP3 available for you guys to hear?

I can look the other way for 29 more days. :D

When I started putting stuff on IA, it was never or forever, so I haven't fully adjusted to the new features like test material.

That said, if would be a pretty bad violation of their rules, particularly if it was permanent.

No less illegal, but considerably better policed, is the solution a lot of folks use/abuse: putting the song up with or without some sort of video component on YouTube.

The 'good thing' about that is that the YT search/music recognition robots are quite aggressive and pretty smart. Depending on the wishes of the IP holders, they'll either slap "buy links" on the vid or simply make it unavailable tothe public.

They probably wouldn't catch the track you're trying to find the source of, as it's pretty obscure, I should think, but if they did, it might give you some valuable clues to what it is, anyhow.

(FWIW, I had the robots find excerpts of big band stuff from the 30s in home movie type vids and eventually nix it; although it took weeks; OTOH, a whole Peter, Paul, and Mary version of "(He Had a) Long Chain On" coupled to an animated slide show of images from slave days got nailed within 24 hours. Replacing the PP&M with a scratchy recording of the original Jimmy Driftwood version of his song seemed to do the trick. Mind you, I kind of wish the robots would put buy links on the thing, so folks might go buy the original recording, which is really great; the PP&M version is, too, but its better known, anyhow.)

• Members

Hey gang,

(It reminds me much of something that our own Saul T. Nads would do, actually.
:thu:
)

What say you? Who is this group? And the year and album?

Post Sgt Pepper definitely.

Couldn't find a hint of it with all my Google-chops...

I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility that it's a current bit of well-done pastiche.

You mentioned the tricky editing - yeah, the editing is almost suspiciously too good for that era. And the whole thing strikes me as unusually tight, balanced, clear. Especially for something uber-obscure which almost always means some moldy masters, or less-than-steller digital transfer, or something like uneven reverbs or an out-of-tune harmony or any number of artifacts common to Nuggets era material.

nat whilk ii

• Members

(FWIW, I had the robots find excerpts of big band stuff from the 30s in home movie type vids and eventually nix it; although it took weeks; OTOH, a whole Peter, Paul, and Mary version of "(He Had a) Long Chain On" coupled to an animated slide show of images from slave days got nailed within 24 hours. Replacing the PP&M with a scratchy recording of the original Jimmy Driftwood version of his song seemed to do the trick. Mind you, I kind of wish the robots would put buy links on the thing, so folks might go buy the original recording, which is really great; the PP&M version is, too, but its better known, anyhow.)

Blue, do you mean that bots can recognize music when there are no text cues labelling it?

• Members

So far, my best guess is possibly The Casuals, who had this hit in 1968 (It was huge in the British world, but scarcely made a dent Stateside. I can't get over just how many great UK & Euro songs we never got back in the 60's and 70's.)

ZerER6af04k

My next best guess would be Vanity Fare who had a big hit Stateside with "Hitchin' A Ride" and "Early In The Morning".

9hN9YRo7y1s

• Members

I hate to even say this, but the first portion of the song sounded like something that David Cassidy would have done at one time. Don't slap me.
;)

No, no, no slap forthcoming at all. Some of those David Cassidy recordings are outstanding... Those Partridge recordings were immaculately written & produced.:thu:

• Members

Blue, do you mean that bots can recognize music when there are no text cues labelling it?

Absolutely. As I understand it, it derives from some of the same technology they use for analyzing geology soundings and such (which makes it a cousin of Auto-Tune, yeah?)

Anyhow, the reco-bots on YouTube are pretty good. You can apparently stretch/shrink the song and it will still recognize it, so it can recognize a copy that came from cassette or vinyl transcription.

IP-recognition software (they have it for images and video sequences, too) is a big deal, since 1996 Congress obligingly delivered the gift of eternal golden geese to the big IP holders in the form of perpetual rights assignment in the Millennium Copyright Act, much of which was reportedly crafted by industry lawyers.

Archived