Harmonically Challenged Song: Silent Night

• Members

So I`m at the tail end of a project in which I`m recording Christmas tunes with just solo piano... think George Winston...

The last song I want to record is Silent Night and its killing me... I`m trying to come up with some chord progression besides the standard one that is used just about every time.

Yeah, this harmonic progression works but I`m really trying to "jazz" it up a bit and have the listener tune in more. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative chord progression for Silent Night?

Thanks,

EB

• Members

Hey Earnest,

Man I'm working on Silent Night too .. I'll tell ya it's a bitch.

Sing it different for one thing, as these old traditional Christmas songs, hymns and anthems sound horrible from people singing them bad for the past 100 years.

Start with more Cowbell.

Man I'll tell you a funny story that happened during the session on "Silent Night." Well you know we all get in the control room, play a work tape, then the guys go out and cut it right??? Well I'd been dreading this one, as my work tape was Elvis singing "Silent Night," I tried a disclaimer warning them that this was Elvis singing, and someone asked me, "which Elvis." I replied saying, "the Fat Elvis of course," well we listened to the tape, and they wen't out into the tracking room, picked up their instruments and started playing "Silent Night" in a young Elvis Rockabilly style, people were clogging out on the floor and I couldn't hit record fast enough and missed the most hilarious moment ever !!!! What fun.

I think I have your e-mail, I'll send you what I've got.

Russ

Nashville

• Moderators

Yeah, this harmonic progression works but I`m really trying to "jazz" it up a bit and have the listener tune in more. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative chord progression for Silent Night?

Thanks,

EB

The first thing that came to mind is a chromatic ascending bass note in the chord sequence. Then build your chords around that.

(C bass) Silent (C# bass) night (D cont.) Holy (E) night

(B) All © is (C#) calm

© All (B) is (Bb) bright

Another idea would be to remap the melody on a mode.

Another idea would be to play it in a minor key. In C, try Am7 to Em

(Am7) Silent (Em7) night (Fmaj7) Holy (G6) night etc.

• Members

Maybe something like this EB:

http://schicksville.com/Music/SilentNight-Improv.mp3

The use of subtle counterpoint is very effective. Though maybe not so subtle in my example.

Feel free to use any of my ideas - really!

I do a Christmas CD every year. This year I did a "melancholy" Xmas CD. Haven't done any Silent Night's though - except for a creepy orch version a couple years back.

Best, John:cool:

• Members

Slightly off topic, but everyone should hear the Drifter's version of White Christmas. They really added to the original without taking anything away. Elvis copied their arrangement when he recorded it.

[YOUTUBE]kF_5nARtHn8[/YOUTUBE]

Another cool X-mas song that rarely gets covered for obvious reasons.

[YOUTUBE]cnRmHszDaa0[/YOUTUBE]

Another one I like

[YOUTUBE]OR07r0ZMFb8&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

Archived