WORST RAP SONG EVER???

John Bartus

• Members

:facepalm:

Oh. My. Gosh.

Going in I was thinking, come on, how could it be worse than Vanilla Ice? (And part of me keeps whispering that the vocal performances are actually a couple of kids from deep in the 'burbs who mashed up their 'rhymes' with some urban-ish vid. But I don't want to presume.)

Still, believe it or not, I have seen even worse.

I have to say, though, that as much as I loved rap and hip hop -- and I started listening in the pretty late 70s (mostly via the old KDAY, which, at the time, played about half R&B and half rap) -- I've sadly come to the conclusion that, like rock, rap/hip hop is a legacy form.

That's not to say that good rap or rock can't still be made -- I occasionally hear some -- but just that I haven't heard a single new idea or fresh texture or flavor in many, many years. (Hell, even Auto-Tune abuse is over a decade old -- and, for this listener, wore thin from the top. Still, when it showed up in rock and country, I just hadda dope slap myself -- I never thought it would get that bad.)

• Members

While it's not my favorite genre, there thankfully is some good rap. The Cuban group "Orishas" comes to mind, blending traditional son music with some really cool sounding, beautifully flowing raps. I find that even a lot of my friends who don't like rap seem to like this because it's really melodic, flowing, and has really catchy choruses without sounding dumb or obvious. And the son melodies and textures - acoustic guitars, congas, etc. - really sound great.

• Members

:facepalm:

Double track the vocals, throw some heavy compression on and it will sound like the real deal. The amatuerish video and audio quality along with a lack of conviction in the rapping makes it sound bad. The lyrics are right on target with what's selling.

• Members

There's a good hip-hop/rap song?

There are many :)

Judging the entire genre of rap/hip-hop based on the mainstream crap put out is like judging food based on what McDonalds has on their menu.

There are some real musicians who have a passion for producing amazing rap music with intelligent lyrics... check out K-OS for example.

and he is not afraid to take a risk by putting something from a completely different genre mixed up with his hip-hop/rap:

• Members

There are many
:)

Judging the entire genre of rap/hip-hop based on the mainstream crap put out is like judging food based on what McDonalds has on their menu.

There are some real musicians who have a passion for producing amazing rap music with intelligent lyrics...

Yup.

[YOUTUBE]PvNuxTM19Dk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]U6Yc-uVPo8s[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Diggin' that Orishas track.

I think a lot of Carribean and Latin American rhythms can provide a really intoxicating foundation for hip hop (sorry about the metaphor mash there) -- particularly when they're slowed down or approached on what you might call a different time scale.

• Members

I think a lot of Carribean and Latin American rhythms can provide a really intoxicating foundation for hip hop (sorry about the metaphor mash there) -- particularly when they're slowed down or approached on what you might call a different time scale.

They're so good.

The first I heard them, Blue, was in Peru. I was in Chincha Alta, south of Lima, for the Fiestas Patrias, a big fiesta in this African-Peruvian community. This girl in one of the main squares was crankin' this. Beautiful, I thought. Just amazing. I went up and asked her who this was, and we had this whole cool conversation about the group and everything, as best as I could with my dubious Spanish skills. She wanted to hear all about the U.S., and asked how black people got to the U.S. "The same reason as you," I said. But anyway, she played the whole first Orishas CD. When I got back home, I went to the record store and bought that right away. It's such a good album, something I still play regularly, something I've turned a lot of people on to throughout the years. I've had a few people come to my studio and completely slam rap, and I'll put that on, and they'll say, "Okay....I hafta admit, that's good..."

• Members

LMAO... its almost impossible to write this post listening to Why Must I Cry?

I`ve heard some really good Hip Hop and some good rap albums but honestly, with the exception of Dr Dre, most of it is underground.

Ernest, I know you speak from experience, seriously...SO much great Hip Hop. Rap, Reggae, Reggaeton, Salsa etc. emanating from 'Nueva York' in small clubs, Cabarets, Bodegas,street corners, Subways...everywhere/anywhere.

So much great music that will never be heard by anyone outside the City....

• Members

I'll listen to Orishas.

So far this is one of the few rap songs that I can listen to.

[YOUTUBE]DveDeCMjJRs[/YOUTUBE]

Joaquin Sabina is one of the finest lyricists in Spanish, and I believe this is a collaboration with Manu Chao. I could not find an official video, though. As in many of his songs, he tells a story. The climax in this case is when a girl takes him out to the dance floor and he asks for mercy because he can't stand rap music :D I don't think he has done another rap song. He does have an older song called the "Optimist's rap" in which he describes a rock band selling out and becoming famous playing pop and then rap, but that song itself is not rap.

• Members

Ok - so I've resisted posting in this thread.

Rap music IMO is the result of the US administration deciding to reduce the education department funding of music.( Reagan years)

Do you remember when each high school had it's school big band where students learnt all those fuzzy instruments like Sax and Trombone?

All gone - all we get is computer generated RAP.

• Members

Ok - so I've resisted posting in this thread.

Rap music IMO is the result of the US administration deciding to reduce the education department funding of music.( Reagan years)

Do you remember when each high school had it's school big band where students learnt all those fuzzy instruments like Sax and Trombone?

All gone - all we get is computer generated RAP.

My theory is:

Black people played the Blues, and White people stole it from them.

Black people played Jazz, and White people stole it from them.

Black people played Soul, and White people stole it from them.

Black people played Funk, and White people stole it from them.

Noticing a pattern, Black people played Rap and Hip Hop as a form of revenge :D

• Members

Rap music actually arose and was heavily inspired from toasting (Jamaica) in the late '70s, preceding the Reagan administration by quite a number of years.

http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Rap-Music---History-And-Facts-Revealed/388417

http://www.jamaicans.com/music/articles_reggae/when-did-reggae-become-ra.shtml

The high school that I work at has band instruments (and even a steel drum or two!), and believe me, the school's NOT well-funded or well-run at all.

Archived