Is THIS happening in your town?

techristian

• Members

Local bands working for little, free beers or "exposure". The public complaining that they don't like a $5 cover charge because they don't have the money.

But...................when an out of town act comes to town, the bar is packed and the locals happily spend up to $50-$200 for a seat ??????????????

Are the out of town acts really that good? Really now?

Go figure.

Dan

• Members

Yup... what hurts is there are way too many bands playing the same old crap. They are all either young kids playing screamo or metal for tips at the local indy club, or the innumerable 2nd-tier and/or "dad bands" who are either not talented enough or don't care enough about demanding a decent wage that drive down the pay level.

I don't worry about that, as my band gets paid well, regardless.

Big fish/small pond kind of deal helps a lot, plus playing a completely different format than everybody else, and being around for nearly 25 years.

We probably don't make what the out-of-town bands make at the clubs, but then tey probably don't play those high-dollar corporate and reception gigs that we do, either.

• Members

It may have happened going way back, but it wasn't the standard situation.

Here in Austin, in the early 70s, you could land a gig singing covers of singer-songwriter stuff with just an acoustic guitar and yourself if you could sing, for about $200 a night. Wasn't all that much competition. Sure, you'd get screwed over by the owners from time to time, and you'd eventually lose the gig to someone else, but still....a decent player/singer could make a living off studio work and live gigs with a little hustle and tenacity.

Now...it's just a revolving door of hundreds of wannabes "trying to get some exposure" making no money, playing the music lottery as a way to have a social life and make life interesting before they decide to grow up and before too much damage is done. Like the lottery, yeah, someone wins every now and then -that's what everone thinks might happen to them.

I think things have changed, at least around here, a whole lot for the worse for anyone dreaming about being a musician as a way to earn a living.

nat whilk ii

• CMS Author

Around DC, we have clubs that always have "name" acts for big bucks. Opening acts are rarely locals. Then we have the clubs that hire only local acts and they're pretty cheap.

Up to around the '70s there were a few clubs that would book local bands during the week and out-of-town bands on the weekends. Occasionally a local band in the club's rotation would be the opener on weekends, but they didn't get paid more than they did on week nights, but they got the "exposure." Sometimes this worked in their favor because some of the audience heard them for the first time as the opening act for the band they came to see, and came back to see them on a weeknight.

But there have always been more bands wanting to play than clubs to hire them or audience to see them. While the better and more popular ones don't necessarily get more money for their shows, they get to work more often.

• Members

don't care enough about demanding a decent wage that drive down the pay level.

Unfortunately, the mentality of most musicians is to play first, then if you get paid, thats just a nice gesture on the owners part. Musicians and all artists need to realize they provide a valuable service to the human race and should be compensated accordingly. I have turned down work because someone tried to set my fee. No thanks.

Try calling the plumber and telling him what you`re paying him. "Hey Chap, thanks for repairing the leaky toilet, heres $2.00. What? You have a problem with that? OK, I`ll just call Joe the plumber next time, he works for free. You greedy bastard."

Its funny Tech because the first thing I thought of was the Jesus quote about no prophet being accepted in his own town. How true...

• Members

The other thing is this too.

Back in the late 70's , I could set up my spare drums in a bar and FORGET ABOUT THEM for 6 months. They never moved. Now the owners want a different act every night. I suppose that they would think differently if we all started to charge for 2 hours setup/teardown time.

Dan

• Members

Then there are bookers who book 'second tier' touring bands as headliners and book a local band with a strong following in the second slot, knowing the local act's draw will pay for the higher fees charged by the touring band -- but often leaving the touring band playing late to a thinned out crowd. Of course, in that case, there may well be a synergism effect that benefits the local band, too. As a band -- even a well-liked band -- gets overexposed in an area, it can take something extra to actually get folks into the clubs on a non-date-night.

• Members

Worth noting that a "local" artists that is great, does tons of promotion and builds up a huge (drinking) fan base that will pack a club any time they play can pretty much charge what ever they want.

The key in what you said is "builds up a huge (drinking) fan base". Years ago when my band and I were doing the gig thing, we used to draw 12-20 people at a show. This other band that we knew drew about 45-50 to a show and they purchased more drinks obviously. They used to get gigs we dreamed of. Their music wasn`t any better or worse but they were a bigger draw.

They were also cuter or so I`ve been told... and you know, they were jam band that liked to jump around. We were very serious and liked to write music you had to close your eyes and get lost in...:facepalm:

At the end of the day, it all comes down to $$$. Whos bringing it in? It has nothing to do with quality. Most people don`t know quality.

They like what they know. In other words, something familiar, something familiar sounding and of course 4 on the floor helps.:thu:

• Members

So just lie and say you're coming in from out of town...problem solved
:)

One of my bands actually did this once. The singer and guitarist spoke German, so they kept speaking to each other in German while calling to get gigs and at the venue, and otherwise speaking in broken English with strong accents.

• Members

The other thing is this too.

Back in the late 70's , I could set up my spare drums in a bar and FORGET ABOUT THEM for 6 months. They never moved. Now the owners want a different act every night. I suppose that they would think differently if we all started to charge for 2 hours setup/teardown time.

Dan

yow....you must have lived in a nice place....around here you're taking a risk just turning your back on your gear or going to take a leak...I wouldn't leave a trapkit in a church sanctuary overnight....

nat whilk ii

• Members

I've played with all kinds of bands. First second and third tierd acts. The promotion usually begins with a hard working band that sticks long enough to publisize enough clubs and advertising sections of the entertainment newspapers to book enough jobs to where they can name their own price.

Ive worked with managers and I've worked without. If the band is available at a last minuites notice to fill in for other canceled bands, they can become well known throughout a circuit. You got to have something to sell, though. If you can consistantly put on a good show, you can get work. Its just not as steady or well paying as you'd like.

My buddies band may be calling it quits after 20 years of being on the road working full time. The players are great, their music is great, they work the best clubs, and they'll easily pull in 100 people on week nights. They open for famous acts when doing national tours. Thay have about 6 albums that have guest appereances by members of the Almond Brothers, Santana, Marshall Tucker, and many others.

They're main drummer died recently which is part of the situation. The other parts are the economy, and patrons coming out that just doesnt make it profitable. They may play a few gigs for $5K one month and playing for $500 the next. Split that between 4 members and its just not enough profit to run a business.

You want to play full time as a musician you need to clear a couple of grand a month to make it a real job, pay the rent, eat regularly, pay nfor the car and insurance and all that jazz. Guys who play full time are normally Tier 1. They play the most gigs, they have the largest followings and have regular advertising.

Anything less than full time is unrelyable for club owners. Unrelyable followings, performance, even having a band show up or being around more than a few months.

Bands like my buddies did it but I always thought they gould do better and felt the material was one of their shortcomings. Its great stuff played exceptionally well. The Main artiist has one of those voices you'd die for. And the guitarists do the tight high speed harmonies, Bass player rips up the fretboard as they all do.

The main thing is the material is predictable. Its a popular sound for Houston but you hear them once and then a year later and its the same thing.

Unless the music has some really cool hooks to keep my interest its not going to get me out on the weekend and blow $2.50~5 a drink.

I love the vibe of hearing music live, but to see a cover band its like, they're never going to be as good as the original bands music they play. Then you got them playing the music note for note and completely loose the vibe and how its supposed to be put across.

So $5 a head for a beginner band to play out. I did it when I was a Kid. I player out every weekend at parties. If there was a crowd I was there. I loved playing for big crowds. When I played for a living for 10 years and had one night where the place was packed and another where you heard crickets when you got done playing, you get a big appreciation for those dedicated enough to give the business their best years.

Its unfortunate that the public all think its so easy. Its like unheard of any more for someone to tip a band any more it seems. And they're the guys wheo can really use it, often not having two dimes to rub together to get themselves gas to get home. And Club owners, I'm not even going there. I can name a dozen scummers that owe me money. You get to know them as thay get to know you. My best advice is never give them a break or they're expect it every time. Have them sign a contract if you feel the need. If you got bruisers in the band that dont take that crap its better though.

• Members

Good post WRGKMC... read all of it and its unfortunate. Maybe you missed my post but I really feel the only way rates are going to go up or at least remain steady across the board is if musicians unite and form a Bar Band Union (the BBU) or everyone just ups their principles and sticks to it which is not happening so the union is the way to go.

Unfortunately, music has become something to drown out the silence. Years ago, people actually went out to truly listen to a band. Think of the big band era. The bands live performance was an event and treated in the highest regard. You went to a club to listen to music and the drink was secondary. Today is the opposite... go to a club to have a drink and then listen to the music when the conversation is slowing down.

Unfortunately, the mentality of most musicians is to play first, then if you get paid, thats just a nice gesture on the owners part. Musicians and all artists need to realize they provide a valuable service to the human race and should be compensated accordingly. I have turned down work because someone tried to set my fee. No thanks.

Try calling the plumber and telling him what you`re paying him.
"Hey Chap, thanks for repairing the leaky toilet, heres $2.00. What? You have a problem with that? OK, I`ll just call Joe the plumber next time, he works for free. You greedy bastard."

Its funny Tech because the first thing I thought of was the Jesus quote about no prophet being accepted in his own town. How true...

• Members

That's the first thing I thought of as well. :)

""Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor."

Matthew 13:57

• Members

I will now reveal how old I am: I used to support myself quite comfortably solely by playing live. I don't see any way I could do that now, and I'm a much better musician now than I was then...

I'm not nearly that old, but I do remember getting change back from my dollar at McDonald's. That gives me a few gray hairs, but nothing yet approaching salt and pepper

Archived