I LOVE Recording Really Good Music

• Members

I LOVE Recording Really Good Music and Making It Sound Really Good!

by Bruce Swedien

For almost a century, sound has been recorded using only analogue techniques. Over the past twenty years, however, digital technology has almost wiped analogue recording off the map.

Analogue purists argue that traditional analogue recording gives the sound a warmth and depth that digital can

• Members

I have good digital, so I like digital...although I have to say, the two biggest improvements to the sound quality of my digital system were:

* Upgrading the mic pres. Garbage in/garbage out, and all that.

* Learning to be conservative when setting levels in digital. I figured this out empirically before I found out about inter-sample distortion, but that certainly helped explain the improvement.

• Members

I have good digital, so I like digital...although I have to say, the two biggest improvements to the sound quality of my digital system were:

* Upgrading the mic pres. Garbage in/garbage out, and all that.

* Learning to be conservative when setting levels in digital. I figured this out empirically before I found out about inter-sample distortion, but that certainly helped explain the improvement.

Those'll definitely help!

What kind of converters are you using?

• Members

:thu:

Now of course you do know Mr. Nads, once you record your songs to analog, they will sell 15,000,000 copies.
;)

Indeed, Ernest

Especially with the legend 'Produced by Bruce Swedien' attached ;)

I'm serious. I have this idea of a one-off classic album, with musicians and producer working pro-bono. It's a sure-fire winner! :thu:

• Members

While digital is certainly convenient and can sound good, nothing compares to pressing PLAY on the remote and starting the reels in motion on the old 2" (preferably 16-track), and hearing the sound play back through a real console and come to life from the Big Red or Urei monitors... those were the days.

I was much younger then, too.

• Members

Indeed, Ernest

Especially with the legend 'Produced by Bruce Swedien' attached
;)

I'm serious. I have this idea of a one-off classic album, with musicians and producer working pro-bono. It's a sure-fire winner!

I think its a great idea mate but I`m not sure you`re getting too many people working for free. I believe in your music so any time you need me to help out, I`m here whatever it may be.

About two years I think we tried to collaborate here with a bunch of people but I`m not sure what happened to the project. I uploaded a song I was working on so the bones were there, we just needed to add the skin and some hair.

• Members

I think its a great idea mate but I`m not sure you`re getting too many people working for free. I believe in your music so any time you need me to help out, I`m here whatever it may be.

About two years I think we tried to collaborate here with a bunch of people but I`m not sure what happened to the project. I uploaded a song I was working on so the bones were there, we just needed to add the skin and some hair.

Cheers, mate :thu:

It'd be interesting to release an SSS compilation. Everyone's best songs. It'd be one hell of an album! :cool:

• Moderators

With the talent that hangs out here that would take a minimum of a 4 volume set.
;)
Of course, it would go quad platinum upon shipping, so, I guess that's ok.

I think Open Jam is in the lead in that department, having produced two CDs, one of them a double album. ;)

Terry D.

• Moderators

I`m just curious because the thread is about loving to record really good music... does anyone love recording crappy music?
:confused:

Yes, quite the silly thread topic. Kinda like saying, "I like to be happy."

And I suspect Gus doesn't really enjoy the recording crappy music part, he enjoys the collecting the money part afterwards. ;)

Terry D.

• Members

If they pay really good to do so and You can charge the over-time it takes to polish the turd... Why not?
:lol:

Because a polished musical turd still doesn't smell good. The only way to determine whether music is crap, refined or not, is to take a sniff with one's ears. That takes time and fortitude. Filling the world with musical poo to trudge through does not make the world a better place. It just pads a wallet and gives somebody a false sense of achievement...on both sides of the glass. :)

• Members

I`m just curious because the thread is about loving to record really good music... does anyone love recording crappy music?
:confused:

Not so much, but I've recorded some mediocre music over the years, completely made fun by the fact that the people were really cool, fun people.

Archived