Sherlock - A Study in Pink

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Best thing I've seen on TV in ages. On PBS's Masterpiece Theater last night (Sunday). BBC's new mini series Sherlock. Holmes is brought into the 21st century. The first one last night, A Study in Pink, a play on A Study in Scarlet, was... fan-freakin'-tastic.

Funny, cool, really smart. Sherlock likes to text. And the nicotine patch takes the place of his coke habit. Lot's of patches for the high. A rush to kill the boredom, says Sherlock.

Watch it when you can! There's more coming.

• Members

I just watched the first half hour while I was eating lunch, it's really good, to my thinking.

Like a lot of little kids, I was a big Sherlock fan for some years (although I didn't go through the whole canon like some of my friends, I did go through everything my local branch library had). I was a big fan of Basil Rathbone as Sherlock (and you can't help but like Nigel Bruce, although he was oft ill-served by the re-writers) but the movies just got sillier and sillier and then they started playing with the era. (Sherlock against the nazis, how could they resist? :facepalm: ) Rather liked some of the Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee Sherlocks, as well. And then all the reinventions and subversions by others along the way.

So, you know, flashing them forward to more or less now isn't any big problem for me, although, of course, what Sherlock fan doesn't long for a new, really right, faithful Sherlock set in his own era. But, you know, it'd be all CGI and then they'd have to make it 3D and then, pretty soon, he's chasing Jack the Ripper and viscera are flying through 3D virtual space before you know it... :facepalm:

So, you know, I'm pretty happy with a contemporary Sherlock done pretty right in the po-mo style of the day. (Although I know I'm gonna get sick of text overlays -- oh wait, I already was before I even started watching. :D But what can you do? All the video guys just discovered this stuff. You'd think.)

Anyhow, looks like great casting, Martin Freeman is really a relief as a distinctly non-buffoonish Dr. Watson, playing him as an ex-regimental doctor with some gravitas. And what a refreshing change from seeing him as the pixie-ish Tim on The Office. Even though I'd just been catching up with that rather amusing show, it was honestly a couple minutes before I moved from vaguely familiar to, OMG, it's Tim. ;)

PS... nice touch on the Harry thing.

• Members

I just watched the entire first season of SPARTACUS. It's an original series filmed in TANZANIA I believe with LUCY LAWLESS as the wife of a ROMAN owner of gladiators.

This series is like a car wreck you just have to look. These people are sinister, treacherous, bloodthirsty and sex-crazed. There's men doing men, men doing women, Women kissing women and slaves getting it from all angles.

There's Tits, butts, pubes, fighting, swearing, killing, maiming, lying, cheating, blood, blood and more blood and aboot a hunnert other bad things that humans have been known to do.

I had to close one eye during the first couple of DVD's cause it was so horrific(and nasty). But the final show was worth the mental assault I got from watching so much blood and gore and just plain nastiness.

SPARTACUS , not just a pretty face.

Archived