You better vote!

Hard Truth

• CMS Author

Vote out as many incumbents as you can manage.

I'd really like to do that here, but his competitor doesn't know anything about being a congressman. I didn't think it mattered a lot that the last presidential candidate I voted for didn't know anything about being president, but now I (and a lot of the rest of the country) are having some second thoughts. Our incumbent congressman has gone along with a lot of pretty spendy programs (which is the mud that's being slung at him comes from) but at least he doesn't appear to be a crook.

• Members

We`ve reached the point where it no longer matters and thats really sad. I`m not voting. Its pointless. What we need is a bloody violent revolution in which our political leaders are all beheaded, the White House is painted black and then blown up. The constitution needs to be burned as well and we need to start over. Yeah, its that bad.

• Members

We`ve reached the point where it no longer matters and thats really sad. I`m not voting. Its pointless. What we need is a bloody violent revolution in which our political leaders are all beheaded, the White House is painted black and then blown up. The constitution needs to be burned as well and we need to start over. Yeah, its that bad.

Don't sugar-coat it. Tell us what you really think!

• Members

Vote out as many incumbents as you can manage. Then start taking actual responsibility as a society to make sure we have a fair and just system.
:)

Also avoid letters. If they have a letter, it spells trouble. Especially a (D) or an (R).
;)

Thanks you! :thu::thu:

• Members

I think he's wrong.

You vote, trying to vote the best people in. It's that {censored}ing simple. It may not work, but consider countries that don't vote and the predicaments they're in.

Consider how many people have lost their lives so you can vote.

Consider how many people around the world wish they could vote.

Consider how many people are fighting right now so they can have some matter of self-determination, no matter how small.

Consider that you actually have a choice whether to vote or not.

Consider that maybe it's not all that cool to have people talk for you.

If you think things suck, get out there and vote for someone else.

If you don't want to vote, move to North Korea or Burma where you can't vote and see how you like countries in which you have no chance for self-determination, no chance to express your opinion, and no chance to vote. Maybe this is the sort of {censored} you can throw down with since you don't like voting.

And those of you who do vote, stop looking at politics as a them-or-us sporting match and actually bother to vote for the person who seems like they'll get it done based on their record, not whether they acted in action movies or have a better haircut than the other candidate.

And finally...if you're a stupid ignorant prick who gets most of his or her current events from Jay Leno, you should know that the voting day for you has been moved to Wednesday to alleviate crowding.

• Members

Amen to everything Ken said.

I share a lot of people's dissatisfaction with the degree to which the major parties have to "sell out" to remain in power... but that doesn't mean there aren't very meaningful differences between parties, and between individual candidates. Not to mention the influence that your local governments have and the difference the ballot initiatives make. All those things are being voted on today, too.

Get a clue, people. Vote, fercryingoutloud.

• Members

Ken,

I would love to agree with you on all those points and as a son of a man who fought in Vietnam with two purple hearts laying in his dresser where no one can see them because hes just not that type of guy, there is a part of me that wants to believe in that America... that idea that my father put his life on the line for... but that America no longer exists and never will.

The United States of America is no longer.

Its a long and tedious discussion so I won`t even get into here and it has nothing to do with being a democrat, republican or an indie. Whatever happens in this election will simply be a re-run of what happened 2 years ago, 4 years ago, 6 years ago, etc... only the names change.

Back to the studio I go...

• Members

I agree 100 percent, by not voting I'm showing my hatred for both parties and all their corrupt ways. I refuse to join either side.

You're not showing a damn thing. You're just letting other people speak for you. And as Veracohr pointed out, there's more than two parties.

• Members

Ken,

I would love to agree with you on all those points and as a son of a man who fought in Vietnam with two purple hearts laying in his dresser where no one can see them because hes just not that type of guy, there is a part of me that wants to believe in that America... that idea that my father put his life on the line for... but that America no longer exists and never will.

The United States of America is no longer.

If that's so, it's largely because people don't vote. Again, look at the countries with military dictatorships where you can't vote.

By not voting, you have no voice. You accomplish nothing.

Anyway, look...I'm not stupid. By saying these things, I know that I'm not going to convince a single person who doesn't vote to vote. If someone truly believes that they shouldn't vote, then that's it. And I know that.

• Members

Ken,

The point is, (and I`m really trying not to get into it because this is political forum territory) there is so much $$$ flying at those in office, special interest groups make the rules. We`re kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. I`m not saying every politician is bought, I`m saying most of them are. Nothings going to change. It really does not matter whos in office. Just look back at the last 20-30 years. Make a note to come back to this thread in another 2 years and then in another 4. See how much really changed.

I`m not here to argue about it, thats just the way I see it and I didn`t vote on Tuesday. I don`t want to get into it anymore than that.

EB

• Members

I have had a few arguments with those in the Ernest Buckley camp. It is true, esp. at the national level, that the differences between the parties is slight. But that slight difference means fewer people will be tortured, we will end a war a few months sooner, we will have fewer threats to our civil liberties to combat and a small reduction in the deadly toxins going into our air and water. Isn't your vote worth it if it will save just one person from being tortured or killed?

On the local level you most certainly have an impact on government. It takes only a hundred people or so to remove a corrupt politician from office or stop a bad plan.

Those who don't vote are a major part of the problems we have, because they are in effect maintaining the status quo with their silence. (and its not like most of these non-voters ever write letters, show up at meetings or protest either)

• Members

Those who don't vote are a major part of the problems we have, because they are in effect maintaining the status quo with their silence. (and its not like most of these non-voters ever write letters, show up at meetings or protest either)

Definitely, because it takes that much longer for wrongs to be corrected. And yes, maintaining status quo. Things change, albeit verrrrrry slowly. Sure, there are crooks. But people in unity have power. Vote people out. Use your dollar to go to people who are doing good things and don't give them to support people (or entities, etc.) who are doing bad things.

• Members

Ken,

The point is, (and I`m really trying not to get into it because this is political forum territory) there is so much $$$ flying at those in office, special interest groups make the rules. We`re kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. I`m not saying every politician is bought, I`m saying most of them are. Nothings going to change. It really does not matter whos in office. Just look back at the last 20-30 years. Make a note to come back to this thread in another 2 years and then in another 4. See how much really changed.

I`m not here to argue about it, thats just the way I see it and I didn`t vote on Tuesday. I don`t want to get into it anymore than that.

EB

you don't have to go back 30 years Ernest.

in 2003 the aussie dollar was worth US45c, today it's worth US101c, our dollar is now more valuable on the world market than yours.

But I agree with Ken totally - if you don't vote you have no right to blame the situation the US is in on others.

• Members

you don't have to go back 30 years Ernest.

in 2003 the aussie dollar was worth US45c, today it's worth US101c, our dollar is now more valuable on the world market than yours.

But I agree with Ken totally - if you don't vote you have no right to blame the situation the US is in on others.

Not blaming anyone here, just not taking part in the process. There are many issues why the US dollar is worth so little, again, these are issues beyond the scope of this forum. Just to keep it "sort of" related to music, consider how many audio manufacturers outsource their products. We`re sending plastic and metal to China, etc... and its coming back as a mixer, microphone, etc... thats a big problem.

Then we could get into the whole Detroit debacle.

I know its not a favored system but the US needs to stop importing foreign cars and get our industry back on its wheels for sure. This would put hundreds of thousands of people back to work. We also need to re-build the infrastructure: roads, bridges, etc... this would also put hundreds of thousands back to work. Instead of more stimulus packages that are throwing money at banks for doing bad business in the first place, we need to re-invest in the middle class, the people who actually drive the economy.

Its very frustrating and unless the entire system is turned on its head, nothing will change. The thing is that compassion has been lost at the heart of the American people. The powers that be, these Fortune 500 companies are reaping it all in while millions struggle every month. There is an imbalance of $$$ which leads to an imbalance of power. So you could vote for someone that says the right things (take Obama for example) and once they get into office, they pretty much are told what to do. Granted, several changes have been made in the last 2 years but we may never see these changes happen if the GOP has their way. This goes 2 ways because if we had a Republican President, the Dems would try to sabotage "his" efforts as well.

The fact that people vote with their party and not on the issues is troubling. Nothing gets accomplished this way and you have to wonder if people are really thinking.

The more I think about it, the best person to actually serve the people in public office is someone who doesn`t vote. They see past the game and refuse to take part in it.

• Members

the best person to actually serve the people in public office is someone who doesn`t vote

surely the best person is someone who chooses who to vote for then hounds the person to make sure they do what they said they would do.

You do that by joining activist groups.

• Members

If that's so, it's largely because people don't vote. Again, look at the countries with military dictatorships where you can't vote.

By not voting, you have no voice. You accomplish nothing.

Anyway, look...I'm not stupid. By saying these things, I know that I'm not going to convince a single person who doesn't vote to vote. If someone truly believes that they shouldn't vote, then that's it. And I know that.

I really don't know why you'd want to convince people to vote. People who don't want to vote ought to be encouraged not to! Our society is clearly better off when people who don't appreciate their priveledge and civic duty accomplish nothing at the polls.

I'd even take it a step farther and require a simple test before people can vote. In national elections, I'd make people prove they can answer simple questions like:

1) What are the names of the 2 houses of Congress?

2) How many US Senators for each state?

3) Which branch of the government is responsible for judging the laws?

4) Which branch of the government is responsible for creating the laws?

5) What are the names of the current President and Vice President?

I'd make it simple and multiple choice so nobody would need to worry about spelling things correctly. Plus, sample tests with answers would be available for free to anyone who wanted them. Anyone unwilling or unable to answer wouldn't get to vote.

• Members

I'm pretty relieved to see the government return to gridlock. Things always get better when the government becomes unable to do anything.

I've long held the theory that the most harm is done by well-intentioned people who feel what they want to do is important. The legislative branch has always been a good place to put people who think they have the solutions to everything, because this limits the amount of damage they can inflict on the public.

Archived