RIP, Alex Anderson, creator of Rocky and Bullwinkle, 90

blue2blue

• Members

Alex Anderson, who created not only the original Rocky and Bullwinkle characters but Crusader Rabbit (and presumably Rags the Tiger, though the article below doesn't mention the very Bullwinkle-like Rags), and was a childhood friend and onetime business partner of Crusader Rabbit and Rocky producer, Jay Ward, has passed away at 90.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/24/AR2010102402638.html

Interesting tidbit from the article -- Anderson was born into a cartooning family and one of his uncles was the creator of Mighty Mouse. Another interesting fact is that Rocky and Bullwinkle actually were created back in the late 40s before Ward finally sold the Crusader Rabbit characters into network production.

• Members

Another passing, the sad loss of Jamaican reggae and soul singer Gregory Isaacs, who died at his London home after a long illness. He was 59.

K6oYyG0KcvQ

Here's a YouTube official playlist of Isaacs (and others):

(It is not, however, all Isaacs, and, yes, the opening of "Night Nurse" does skip. It's the official YT upload of it, what can I say?)

Listening to "Night Nurse" -- probably Isaac's signature tune, I realized why the valedictory threat over at GS used a different track to mark his passing... after a long illness. But it's a great track, nonetheless.

I'd put up the song on Rhapsody to evade the mid-fi at YT and meant to take it out of shuffle and put up some more Isaacs but forgot and as "Night Nurse" faded out, Peter, Paul and Mary's beautiful but mournful "500 Miles" came on and it just seemed so right...

Archived